I know how to play artificial harmonics by lightly grazing the string with my finger after picking.

The only thing is, when I go to bend and squeel I just can't get that metal sound.

I'm using an Ibanez RG with stock pickups, DS-1 distortion, and Frontmant 25R.

Is it my pickups?
No, it's your vibrato and your harmonic technique.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've been able to do them for over a year and I don't see hot I got vibrato any faster.

I just listened to your recording of you playing pinch harmonics and I can do that, but that's not the sound I'm going for. I don't want old school metal. I'm going for the modern metal sound.
Last edited by RockAddict311 at Dec 23, 2009,
If you want that metal sound kind of like dimebag...(and now commonly used in metalcore,deathcore and hardcore music.)
Play on the thicker strings like your low E(if in standard) and about the 3 fret and do the pinch harmonic and then wait about half a second then bend up and down viciously!
Quote by tenfold
High action, good technique, small pick, vibrato, compression and/or overdrive.
And your finger shouldn't be grazing it, your thumb should.

I meant my thumb. 10 fingers, blah. I have pretty thick strings too. Rockin Daddario 12's in drop C on my BNez
I don't know if you're already doing this, but to get the low E to sound really thick and squeally you need to bend the string to about half way into the fret board with a lot of vibrato on it too.
Quote by axe_thrasher
I don't know if you're already doing this, but to get the low E to sound really thick and squeally you need to bend the string to about half way into the fret board with a lot of vibrato on it too.

yah. Some times I use two fingers to vibrato. I can get close BUT IM NEVER SATISFIED!

I'm nicer guitar would help, but I'm fine for now. I droped my drop C to a drop B and they sounded a little kooler :p
I play that shit whit my finger cuz i didn't learn the "thumb rule" at the beginning. Now my sound is great according to me !

Personaly i think it would sound better if i learned the thumb rule at the beginning, but as i wrote it still is great !
Quote by tenfold
High action, good technique, small pick, vibrato, compression and/or overdrive.
And your finger shouldn't be grazing it, your thumb should.

I use my ring finger knuckle to play pinch harmonics, and they squeal like a cat in a blender, I don't see why you shouldn't play whatever way suits you.
Quote by CaptainFlux
I use my ring finger knuckle to play pinch harmonics, and they squeal like a cat in a blender, I don't see why you shouldn't play whatever way suits you.

I'm not saying you can't use your finger, it's just easier to use the thumb. The finger is the only way to get them sometimes, like upstrokes.
Quote by RockAddict311
I've been able to do them for over a year and I don't see hot I got vibrato any faster.

I just listened to your recording of you playing pinch harmonics and I can do that, but that's not the sound I'm going for. I don't want old school metal. I'm going for the modern metal sound.

Get a high gain amp and some really heavy gauge strings. That'll about do it, but if you want you could change your pickups also. But the first two will produce significant results.

I haven't really experimented a whole lot, but I think the tighter the strings are, the heavier the harmonics are gonna be. That's probably why harmonics sound better when you bend the string.

So .11 gauge harmonics in standard should sound thicker than the same gauge's harmonics half a step down.
Last edited by Dregen at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by Dregen
I haven't really experimented a whole lot, but I think the tighter the strings are, the heavier the harmonics are gonna be.

I don't think so. I get great harmonics in C Standard and they sound just as, if not heavier than the E Standard harmonics.
I think vibrato makes the harmonic come out better because you're causing the string to vibrate more; that would explain why a fast vibrato helps harmonics a lot.
Quote by tenfold
I don't think so. I get great harmonics in C Standard and they sound just as, if not heavier than the E Standard harmonics.
I think vibrato makes the harmonic come out better because you're causing the string to vibrate more; that would explain why a fast vibrato helps harmonics a lot.

Alright, I didn't know if it was just me or not. I have an electric with a Floyd Rose so I don't like messing around with my tuning a whole lot. And yeah, vibrato definitely makes harmonics sound alot nicer.
Well, i've only recently become used to playing Pinch Harmonics. When i did start getting them, it happened only on teh lighter strings, like the first 3. ANything thicker than my G string (hehe, sooo tempting) and i just sounded muffled. So i'd say start on the lighter strings, and once you get those, move on to thicker strings, and further down the fretboard, by that i mean getting closer and closer to the first few frets.......soon you'll be able to get them anywhere, even open strings. They're a great addition to heavy riffs......adds a creepy effect to them!

But like atif said, the position where you pick the string varies a lot. I find the closer i go to the neck, the less of a good sound i get. I'd say teh best spot (on my guitar at least, probably varies from one to another) is where the middle pickup would be or is. I've got one, and it's pretty much just on the edge of the middle pickup, on the side of the neck pickup too. Whatever, just try it out man....it'll take a lot of time though. Took a few months for me at least.
hmm i still cant get the pinch Gilmour does.. you knows his "squeals".. like doing it by throat or something... i do pinches pertty well it's just a matter of gear setup.. doing it by neck pup on a strat helps but it's not the full effect.. i think may be he uses the neck-bridge combination he uses a lot i guess...
Quote by vigenharutyunya
hmm i still cant get the pinch Gilmour does.. you knows his "squeals".. like doing it by throat or something... i do pinches pertty well it's just a matter of gear setup.. doing it by neck pup on a strat helps but it's not the full effect.. i think may be he uses the neck-bridge combination he uses a lot i guess...

It's generally accepted that pinches sound best on the bridge so using the bridge pickup might help out a bit:p
mess around with the spot on the string where you do the harmonic too. Some parts sound kinda dead while others will give you a good squeal. Just play around and try and find a sweet spot.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join