The only song in my profile. Unfortunately, I don't have a single microphone, so I couldn't record vocals, and I refuse to use my computer mic to record. It may be a little long to listen to without any vocals and only two 30-second solos, but please listen to the whole thing, it would be very much appreciated If you want to read the lyrics, however, I posted them in S&L, here's the link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22693863#post22693863

Feel free to to crit about anything and everything. I want your opinion on one specific thing though: For some reason I always have trouble balancing the instruments volume-wise. Do you think that anything could've been quieter or louder?
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Dec 23, 2009,
Hey

Your song reminds me of Pearl jam's Alive, the song and the guitar tone =)

Good chord progression. You should try an acoustic guitar on it in the quiet parts it might sound good

The first solo is pretty cool and groovy =)

And with the ending solo, I would have started it before (during the "quiet" part.. chorus?) and then speed it up. That's just an idea =).

I think your lyrics will fill in it perfectly
Oh by the way, I don't know why but the drumkit sounds a little off at somebeats.

Thanks for the critique anyway
Quote by flaphead325
Hey

Your song reminds me of Pearl jam's Alive, the song and the guitar tone =)

Good chord progression. You should try an acoustic guitar on it in the quiet parts it might sound good

The first solo is pretty cool and groovy =)

And with the ending solo, I would have started it before (during the "quiet" part.. chorus?) and then speed it up. That's just an idea =).

I think your lyrics will fill in it perfectly
Oh by the way, I don't know why but the drumkit sounds a little off at somebeats.

Thanks for the critique anyway

Thanks for the crit.
the song was actually inspired by "Alive" (not to mention that a lot of my guitar style, besides my soloing, comes from Stone Gossard and Mike McCready), along with "Cherub Rock" by the Smashing Pumpkins, and Beggars- and Hangars-On by Slash's Snakepit.

And about the drumkit, for some reason my drum software (which is Garageband) lags sometimes, I don't know why. I try to get it as close as I can to the beat by slowing the tempo down, recording the drums, and then speeding the song back up, but it always gets a little off sometimes. I like to think that it gives the song a "raw" feeling lol.
^ yeah, I agree, an acoustic in the slower parts would sound very nice. The drums are programmed very nicely too, gets off beat sometimes, but I understand since your doing it the way you explained. The guitar tone is a bit lacking in volume. It almost sounds like you double tracked, and its off slightly, but double tracking is pretty hard at times. I like the overall feel of the song, its very cool and rockish. Just bring your guitars forward a bit and should be all good. Thanks for the crit too.
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ yeah, I agree, an acoustic in the slower parts would sound very nice. The drums are programmed very nicely too, gets off beat sometimes, but I understand since your doing it the way you explained. The guitar tone is a bit lacking in volume. It almost sounds like you double tracked, and its off slightly, but double tracking is pretty hard at times. I like the overall feel of the song, its very cool and rockish. Just bring your guitars forward a bit and should be all good. Thanks for the crit too.

Actually it's not double-tracked, I have one guitar part panned to one side and and a different guitar part panned into the other. I know there part you're thinking of though, when both guitars are playing the same thing, the quiet part after the intro, and yeah, they are just a tad off a couple times. I'll find some time to fix that and then bring the guitars forward a little.

Thanks
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Dec 24, 2009,