I was looking at one of these badboys a few months ago, but I decided that because I couldn't try and no-one really knew anything about them back then, I'd wait until the good people of UG got a little more clued up - so, a few months on, is there anyone who knows much about the mofo - also, is it's matching 1x12" cab any good, or would I have to find a different cab, and does anyone have any suggestions for a different cab in the same price bracket?

So, for essentially blues and classic to hard rock, is the mofo any good? Any opinions welcome!
i know a couple of dudes on the the musicradar forum have them, there's a big thread about them over there. I think simply ben from here has tried one, I haven't been able to try one yet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For your genres, it's bang on. The MoFo switch takes it from blues amp to very big rock sound.
Not tried it through anything but the 1x12 but it seemed pretty good.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I've got a Mofo.

I have put it though the Hayden 112 and didn't really rate it.

Currently using my Marshall 1936 212 which sounds much better. But I have tried it though a Blackstar Artisan 412 and it sounded immense and really brought the gain to life. I'm going to get a Framus 212 CS CB to replace the Marshall soon as they have the same Vintage 30 speakers as the Blackstar.

I play a lot of mellow light gain so need a nice warm sound and I found the Vintage 30s suit the Mofo really well. The Red Eminence speaker in the 112 sounded strained and thin compared to everything else I've tried.... then again everything else has been a 212 or 412. Either way I wouldn't get the Hayden 112 but can definitely recommend the Mofo.
i havent heard it myself although guitarist uk magazine reviewed it. here is the summary.

the bottom line:
we like: power, features, reasonable price
we dislike: the 'stealth switch' placement, the single effects loop jack, no front pannel boost function switch, rear mounted mains switch.

guitarist says:
a generally decent amp, with more than reasonable power to price ratio, but marred by some space saving design features that could be irritating to use.

the rating:
build quality: 3/5
features: 3.5/5
sound: 3.5/5
value for money: 4/5
overall rating: 3.5/5

3.5 is a fairly low rating for that magazine although it doesnt neccissarily mean that the product is bad. (anyways it is just one reviewer's opinion)

hope you find some of that useful.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado
3.5 is a fairly low rating for that magazine although it doesnt neccissarily mean that the product is bad. (anyways it is just one reviewer's opinion)

Probably indicates Hayden didn't buy any advertising in their magazine.
My story sounds far fetched but is seriously completely true.

My friends, mums, friends, husband is the owner of Hayden (not sure if its Ashdown too though).

He's getting a MoFo for christmas and one of their cheaper Peacemaker 4x12's. He said he went round his house a few days ago, it was huge and in the middle of his own land, and it had like 2 studios and a shitload of guitars signed by like Metallica and stuff haha.

I can't remember quite what he said, but I'm fairly sure he had Slash in to help him decide what to do with the sounds when making it?

Anyways, story over, I'll go round his sometime in the new year try it out and message you if you like? It's mean't to be fairly good for the money.

Oh and apparently, they haven't made any profit at all from the MoFo's due to production costs and such, so that explains why the price is fairly high xD

inb4 - cool story bro
hey guys, hello, and maybe I can help? I bought a mofo about a month ago. First, let me introduce myself. I'm (sadly) 51 years old in a few days, been playing since I was 14. Through the years, I've had the very good fortune to own just about every 'vintage' amp out there - 60's - 2000's amps from marshall fender vox orange hiwatt sound city blah blah blah. This isnt a boast, its just meant to say, I know a good sounding amp when I hear one, and I'm not easily impressed by modern amps. But I'm impressed by the Mofo. Giving a review, well, it is single channel, but has 2 different voicings called UK and US. Lets quit the chat, one is marshall the other fender. It has a single eq section comprising, classically, bass middle treble and presence, with a pre and master volume control. Additionally there is a 'mofo' control, which sounds to me like an additional gain stage. Plugging in the marshall channel, with mofo set to zero, it has the sound and feel of my old marshall pa 20, not much bass, restrained top, with a noticeable midrange growl, a very pleasing place to start. Not too much pre amp gain, with lots of power amp breakup as the volume goes up. Plugging in the fender channel, again with mofo zeroed, it has the sound and feel of a deluxe reverb, without the reverb obviously. Much bigger bass, sparkly chimey top end and the midrange subdued. Similar type of breakup as the volume goes up. 2 of my fave sounds so far and I'm well pleased. Plugging back in the marshall channel and spinning the mofo control, the marshall 20w sound gradually turns into a jcm800 and beyond. Ballsy, fat, aggressive, it truly nails the ac/dc sound. For this sound alone, its worth the entry fee. Plugging back into the fender side, I have a real concern what the mofo will do to a deluxe sound. Totally unfounded, it slowly morphs from a deluxe into a mark 1 boogie. Imagine a Mk1 with 2x6v6's? That is the direction this amp goes in. Truly impressed. But this beast isnt finished yet. On the bottom is a slider switch which takes it without fuss from 30w to 2w. OK it loses some top end and sparkle, but no more than a good attenuator would at this volume, and you get the amp flat out at a comfortable house volume. ALL the valve/tube crunch remains 100% intact. I'm wowed. Moans? Well, for a gigging amp, it needs a standby for those long dead spells. Anyway, for a 4xel84 with no valve/tube rectifier, doesnt it need a standby to save the el84's? I'll let you guys educate me on that one. Maybe there is some tricky circuit inside on this amp that looks after it? Oh and there is a horrid bump when you turn it off. No need for that these days... For those who care, it has a single (I assume stereo) jack for the effects loop, so you need a special cable. Quality wise, it looks pretty good. a quick peek inside, all I can see is one large pcb. Does this equate to 'handwired' as advertised? I think that term has become a joke. I Recently ownded a Vox Ac30HH (heritage handwired) and that was full of pcb's too. To be honest, at this price, and with these sounds, I simply dont care. Conclusion - At ANY price, this amp would be stunning. At this price ( I paid £385) its an absolute no brainer. I havent tried the matching cab, I've been gigging it through a 2x12 fitted with an old H30 and a G12-65. It is just about loud enough to match a loud drummer and bass player, but to be honest could do with more efficient speakers for a bit more volume (blues etc?). Killer tones and feel tho, and to answer the original question, blues and classic rock into hard rock? Oh YES. By the way, I have no affiliation with hayden or any of the guys associated.
All the best
Alex
Last edited by AlexF at Jan 3, 2010,
^ You sir have just made up my mind

Would you say it's reliable from what you've seen?

Welcome to UG
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

thanks Ben, well, its just survived its first couple of gigs LOL. To be honest, without serious dismantling, its hard to see just whats in there, but the pcb and the general look about it certainly looks substantially more robust than, say an orange ad30.
A
Quote by AlexF
thanks Ben, well, its just survived its first couple of gigs LOL. To be honest, without serious dismantling, its hard to see just whats in there, but the pcb and the general look about it certainly looks substantially more robust than, say an orange ad30.
A

Fantastic, do you use many pedals with it? I never got the chance to try it with any pedals.
Well looks like I know where my next wage slip is going

If only someone would buy my '900
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

I gig it with a very good tubescreamer type (just endless sustain and feedback at will, fat as a hippo) and a red llama clone which gives a brighter crunchier tone for a real rock rhythm, but to be honest, the llama is just a variation on whats in there anyway, no real need for it.
A
oh, meant to say, perhaps a word of warning, I was very surprised when gigging the amp that for such a gainy beast, especially with the pedal, the note separation and clarity was a surprise. I was aware right away it was going to transmit any mistakes, you need your chops right!
A
Last edited by AlexF at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by AlexF
oh, meant to say, perhaps a word of warning, I was very surprised when gigging the amp that for such a gainy beast, especially with the pedal, the note separation and clarity was a surprise. I was aware right away it was going to transmit any mistakes, you need your chops right!
A

I'd rather that extreme than the muddy end
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band