So i have a tradition les paul which i love, plays great, and i dont want to replace the stock pickups because they sound great. But they must be unshielded or something because at gig volumes they SQUEAL at me and its extremely annoying. whenever i stop playing for a second SQUEAL. i don't even really play with that much gain. when i turn the gain down they squeal less but they still squeal. if i rewired the pickups with higher quality cable would this solve the problem? what is the best way to fix this squealing?
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Do you use a noisegate at all?

Putting a Decimator in the effects loop pretty much sorts that out straight away
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
if the pickups arent potted (encased in wax) u could do that and that is saposed to cut down on noise
Quote by GuernZila
if the pickups arent potted (encased in wax) u could do that and that is saposed to cut down on noise

+1 all the way. van halen was famous for dipping his pups in wax to cut down on feedback
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
no way am i using a noisegate. lazy way out, and a tone sucker. yea ill check the grounds. i havent opened the guitar in awhile. also i've never taken the covers off. i think it looks better that way too and then i can see if they are potted
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Last edited by pmeg568c at Dec 23, 2009,
MY guitars used to squeal when at high volume siwth my XXX, but thats because its an XXX. However after shielding htem, it was fine.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
what exactly does "shielding" them entail though. someone told me usually you don't have to shield pickups in a les paul because the wood is so thick and heavy.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
what exactly does "shielding" them entail though. someone told me usually you don't have to shield pickups in a les paul because the wood is so thick and heavy.

Shielding means putting something that blocks EMP and interference in your guitar. Like aliminium foil in the control cadivity, it will block out all interference and cut back on buzz when you have lots of gain running, since gain amplifys any noise in your guitar's circut. And having a thick guitar is usually not a good shield, your plastic guards to get to your electronics is still really thin.
Sounds like a grounding problem. Even Worstbucker Pros shouldn't be generating feedback.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.