yo guys i'm looking to do a pickup swap for my washburn WI14... it has shitty *** pickups in it right now so i thought... why not put some new ones in.. i really don't wanna spend alot... i might sell this or i might keep it.. i have yet to decide.. i was thinking of tossing in a Dimarzio DP193 Air Norton in one of the spaces.. i am horrible with pickups so i unno which spot to put it in... and same with the other pickup.. i need to know a good one that will go with that... will an air norton be good for drop C tuning for bands like disturbed and stuff?
Quote by MetalGuitarest
yo guys i'm looking to do a pickup swap for my washburn WI14... it has shitty *** pickups in it right now so i thought... why not put some new ones in.. i really don't wanna spend alot... i might sell this or i might keep it.. i have yet to decide.. i was thinking of tossing in a Dimarzio DP193 Air Norton in one of the spaces.. i am horrible with pickups so i unno which spot to put it in... and same with the other pickup.. i need to know a good one that will go with that... will an air norton be good for drop C tuning for bands like disturbed and stuff?

Air Norton is more of a neck pickup.

EDIT: I'm retarded and didn't look at your sig.

If you don't have one, look into a Overdrive pedal.

Otherwise, pickup wise, I'd look into EMG's, or if you're set on Dimarzios, Dactivators.

If you want to use an air norton, I hear a Tonezone in the bridge is a good match (I have a Tonezone myself, but with a PAF Pro, I don't have an Air Norton to give a good match personally)

If you're wanting Drop tunings with your air norton, D-sonic may be the way to go though (Petrucci's old setup)
Last edited by rlheart at Dec 23, 2009,
nahh it's not the fact that i don't have enough distortion.. it's the fact that my washburn WI14 is my first guitar... and it has shitty standard washburn pickups.. not the randall ones.. just standard washburn ones.. which suck unbelivably to the point i don't like to play it anymore... so i need a good set of passives to go into it.. i have passive emgs on my schecter and there not bad.. i wanna go with somthing else on this one though.. i just need somthing that will sound good and wont suck my wallet dry.lol
well seymour duncan makes some nice hot pickups that sound a little active, but aren't. i think they sound great, but they are a little pricey.
mighty mite makes some entry level pickups for real cheap and i'm sure they'll sound better than yours..
ohh, i forgot, GFS pickups seem to get good reviews from www.guitarfetish.com
all of their stuff is pretty high quality and low priced. i'd check those out.
Passive EMGs suck even more than stock pickups, IMO.

Get a Ibanez Tube Screamer and mold the distortion you already have with your amp.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Quote by MetalGuitarest
nahh it's not the fact that i don't have enough distortion.. it's the fact that my washburn WI14 is my first guitar... and it has shitty standard washburn pickups.. not the randall ones.. just standard washburn ones.. which suck unbelivably to the point i don't like to play it anymore... so i need a good set of passives to go into it.. i have passive emgs on my schecter and there not bad.. i wanna go with somthing else on this one though.. i just need somthing that will sound good and wont suck my wallet dry.lol

I think your a little confused on how much pickups actually do.

Why do you think they are shitty? Could be a case of bad eqing rather than new pickups.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Get the DiMarzio crunch lab in the bridge, and the Liquifire (Petrucci's new pickups) or Air Norton in the neck. Super Distortion or D-Sonic in the bridge are also excellent.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff