Hey, ive been looking at amps lately, and i saw the Vox handwired series. I know that most Vox amps are made in china, but are these an acception? I'd rather pay that much on a Marshall or a Fender if they are, but they caught my eye
Where they're made should have little to do with your purchase. The Vox Custom Classic amps are fanstactic. That being said, depending on what you play, some other amps might be more suitable.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
most people are attracted to hand wired amps because the components used tended to be better and the craftsmanship of a masterfully wired amp is beautiful. hand wired amps can also be repaired a bit easier and can be over engineered(like my 69 sunn) for supreme durability(though many old amps can age horribly and old boards had inherent defects) . but many good manufacturers go pcb over hand wiring for consistancy of quality, durability and inherent clean signal path between components.

imo one process is not completely superior than the other, it is about what you want. if you want a hand wired amp now-a-days then you're looking for something that will be a bit beefier and contains better components(like better filter caps, and output transformers, maybe heavier gauge wire too). if you go pcb you will expect a more consistent product for a cheaper price(save money on labor for handwiring).

i would do research to see what is so special about the vox you're looking at to see if it warants it's price tag. for example a local guitar shop in newport news has a guitar amp tech that made jtm 45 replica with really top of the line and NOS parts that was selling for 1200 usd, i would much rather have that geek's amp than the marshall brand name equivalent(1750 usd) cuz i know the local guy used way better parts and spent much more time and effort making it exceptional.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
They're handwired in china, and manufactured in the UK but seriously don't let it put you off, its what brings the price of it down. You'd be paying alot more for a UK handwired one. I'd rather have something handwired in china for a good price than mass factory produced in the UK/US.

From what ive heard they are incredible, so much sweeter than the CCs. Im desperate to try one.
Ask Lt. Shinysides - he has one.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i personally thought the handwired was much nicer then the custom classic. that being said, if you like the sound of a marshall better, then get a marshall.
You can get killer used Marshalls for under $1000, if that's what you're after, though they won't be handwired.

However, you can get handwired copies from Metro for around $1300 that'll sound amazing.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
You can get killer used Marshalls for under $1000, if that's what you're after, though they won't be handwired.

However, you can get handwired copies from Metro for around $1300 that'll sound amazing.

you still need a cab for the metros. and the only thing that'll do one of their amps justice is a reissue cab with greenbacks. in total, you're looking at spending the same amount as you would for a handwired head. since a handwired vox head is only $1400
True. I forgot not everybody has a cab loaded with Greenbacks. (I have two)

Quote by gumbilicious
most people are attracted to hand wired amps because the components used tended to be better and the craftsmanship of a masterfully wired amp is beautiful. hand wired amps can also be repaired a bit easier and can be over engineered(like my 69 sunn) for supreme durability(though many old amps can age horribly and old boards had inherent defects) . but many good manufacturers go pcb over hand wiring for consistancy of quality, durability and inherent clean signal path between components.

imo one process is not completely superior than the other, it is about what you want. if you want a hand wired amp now-a-days then you're looking for something that will be a bit beefier and contains better components(like better filter caps, and output transformers, maybe heavier gauge wire too). if you go pcb you will expect a more consistent product for a cheaper price(save money on labor for handwiring).

i would do research to see what is so special about the vox you're looking at to see if it warants it's price tag. for example a local guitar shop in newport news has a guitar amp tech that made jtm 45 replica with really top of the line and NOS parts that was selling for 1200 usd, i would much rather have that geek's amp than the marshall brand name equivalent(1750 usd) cuz i know the local guy used way better parts and spent much more time and effort making it exceptional.

actually there is one huge sonic advantage of a handwired amp.

when two or more components are connected on a PCB board in a plane, they build up capacitance. this results in the loss of some harmonic content. when handwired, this problem is eliminated over 90%.

with that said, i personally dont think a handwired vox is worth the price tag.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you still need a cab for the metros. and the only thing that'll do one of their amps justice is a reissue cab with greenbacks. in total, you're looking at spending the same amount as you would for a handwired head. since a handwired vox head is only $1400

yeh but the vox doesn't sound like the marshall. also, a cab loaded with blues would do it the most justtice.
^ He was talking about the Metro clones, not the Vox.

Quote by joe_k
yeh but the vox doesn't sound like the marshall. also, a cab loaded with blues would do it the most justtice.

I don't know about that. I can do a pretty convincing Marshall tone with my Vox. Dare you to tell the difference.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
the handwired voxes rock! They kick the balls off the Custom Classic range! Bear in mind they are essentially the closest thing to a 'reissue' vintage AC30 that vox make so no master volume - that thing is going to be sh1tloud!!!!!!

Also, for a 'real' AC30 reissue (at a price...) check out JMI:
http://www.jmiamplification.com/
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
the handwired voxes rock! They kick the balls off the Custom Classic range! Bear in mind they are essentially the closest thing to a 'reissue' vintage AC30 that vox make so no master volume - that thing is going to be sh1tloud!!!!!!

Also, for a 'real' AC30 reissue (at a price...) check out JMI:
http://www.jmiamplification.com/

That's the magic of the EF86 preamp my friend. If my CC had the EF86 preamp I'd be a happy camper.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That's the magic of the EF86 preamp my friend. If my CC had the EF86 preamp I'd be a happy camper.

You know, I stayed out of this thread thinking it was just another "PTP >>> PCB" flamefest, but that right there has GOT to be it. Good call.

I don't speak Vox too fluently, but I've run into this before on pre '72 (maybe?) 30's, and if the input runs through a legit EF86 pre, it's without question going to cost more. Wether it's worth more or not is of course up to the buyer, but...

I have trouble-shot that shat, and I never will again.
I can virtually guarantee those EF86 units go through triple or MORE assembly time.
Un-fun.
The handwired Voxes are great, although not a patch on the current JMI reissues (http://www.jmiamplification.com/). The Custom Classic series are craptastic though, avoid.

EDIT: That said, for the prices I'd rather have a Blackstar Artisan 15/30 instead.
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't know about that. I can do a pretty convincing Marshall tone with my Vox. Dare you to tell the difference.

this.

the link I put up in my thread to the moby dick cover is played with my vox. my bandmate is using a Marshall JCM900... you cant even hear him over me.

the vox and marshall are very similarly voiced.