On my Valveking Royal 8 as it comes from the factory, it does not have enough gain for some styles by simply driving the preamp to the max. So I was thinking to put a 100 Watt 8 ohm L-PAD on the AMP output to attenuate by say 20 dB, so I can run both the preamp and power amp stages at full blast.

Do a lot of people do this? Any disadvantages using an L-PAD?

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
WHY would you use a 100w L pad on a 5 w amp ? BIG mismatch.

-20db?

You don't use dynamics in your playing ?

-3db is half power

-10db is half volume

You LIKE the sound of mosquitos swarming ?

JJ
Well, for distorted metal/hard rock, there usually arent very many dynamics. assuming the speaker is 90dB 1w/1m average, 5w of amplifier unattenuated would give me around 97dB at one meter. Power compression shouldnt be too much of a problem with only 5w.

20dB of attenuation would bring that down to around 77dB peak, which for me is plenty loud. That's not even factoring in the additional power generated by all the clipping of the amp.

How would using a 100w l-pad be a mismatch? If anything that would preclude burnout versus a 5 or 10 watt pad.

I am going to try it out, I will let everyone know how it works.

Dean Vendetta XM
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Well I tried the L-Pad and it works great! I get a lot more distortion which is nice, at sane volume levels. Yes the dynamics are compressed, but this occurs with most distortion.

It isn't very 'Metal' sounding, but has a nice vintage tone, almost like a Big Muff Pi cranked all the way.

I can get a really good Queens of the Stone Age tone with the modification.

Dean Vendetta XM
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255