Page 1 of 2
So, now I'm in a band with a big show coming up (hall seating 500 people *shitting myself*), I need a better amp to replace my little Marshall MG predecessor practice amp.

I need something that can gig, do bedroom practice and band practice (acceptable volumes that won't make my parents kill me in my last 5 months of living at home).

It's got to be able to handle a multitude of genres (everything from jazz to metalcore) and cost less than £500.

I'm not really willing to go second hand on this unfortunately as I need to guarantee getting hold of the amp before the concert.

Any suggestions. I was thinking Peavey Vypyr, but I've listened to some demos and it has very little character.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
When is the gig?
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Quote by iduno871
Line 6 Spider 4, plays everything beautifully.

Was that spam? Or serious advice?

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I'd steer away from line 6 amps, especially if you have £500 to spend,

and no i'm not a line 6 hater, i have the spider 3..

But there's so much better to buy, I hear the bugera is a good amp, and you can get some other good amps for less than £500, i'm sure you'll have loads of answers soon mate

good luck with the gig

HELLO!

Ehh your not willing to go used, your budget is 500, and you need extreme versatility and you didn't like the vypyr...
Looks like your screwed dude.
I don't really know what to say except maybe give the vypyr one more good look and play with it ALOT!
Ill try to search of what you could get for 500 in a bit hold on.
Do not listen to him^^^

You can get way better for £500

Edit: To the guy that suggested the spider IV
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Last edited by SGburnsRED at Dec 23, 2009,
Remember Scar, we're talking 500 pounds, that's about 800 dollars.. it's a fair bit for an amp.. I'd reccomend a head + cab for enough power, unless your amp is going to be mic'd?

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
I'd steer away from line 6 amps, especially if you have £500 to spend,

and no i'm not a line 6 hater, i have the spider 3..

But there's so much better to buy, I hear the bugera is a good amp, and you can get some other good amps for less than £500, i'm sure you'll have loads of answers soon mate

good luck with the gig

I hear there are some reliability issues with the bugera. I hope that isn't true.

I've tried the peavey valveking and that gave a good sound. But, it's quite loud for bedroom practice.

Oh and cheers!

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570

My Youtube
My godawful blog
The Vypyr Tube 60 is a better choice than the Valveking without some mods done to it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I haven't seen any reliability issues, only thing is if the tubes ran out, but can't see that happening within the first month or maybe even 2 month.. I'm sure it wouldn't crap out in such a short space of time though, plus if it did there is always customer service just make sure you research your final choice..

HELLO!

Can I just mention, to those guys spouting high wattage tube amps. I'd like to be able to play this at home as well.

Quote by JamesLPs
I haven't seen any reliability issues, only thing is if the tubes ran out, but can't see that happening within the first month or maybe even 2 month.. I'm sure it wouldn't crap out in such a short space of time though, plus if it did there is always customer service just make sure you research your final choice..

Hmm, it seems like an option. I'm gonna see if I can find some bugera dealers in my locale. And listen to some demos.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Last edited by vulgarmachine at Dec 23, 2009,
Are you sure you aren't willing to go used?

Here's a thread from the other day that might sway you.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249012

Edit: Are you getting rid of the MG because if you aren't you can use it for a practice amp and use your new amp for gigs, band practices and when no one is home.
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Last edited by SGburnsRED at Dec 23, 2009,
do you know if your amps will be mic'd? cause that makes all the difference in this case..

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
do you know if your amps will be mic'd? cause that makes all the difference in this case..

They won't be unfortunately. The hall we're playing at is, quite literally, a school hall. A big one, but a school hall none the less. They definitely don't have a PA for amps unless we arrange it and hire it. Which isn't gonna happen on our band's slim coffers.

Quote by SGburnsRED
Are you sure you aren't willing to go used?

Here's a thread from the other day that might sway you.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249012

Edit: Are you getting rid of the MG because if you aren't you can use it for a practice amp and use your new amp for gigs, band practices and when no one is home.

I don't mind going used, but not for this unfortunately. I have to have a decent amp by the night.

And I'm not binning my G215CDR (not even an MG), but it's really not that good. It would be nice to use my new amp at home lol.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Last edited by vulgarmachine at Dec 23, 2009,
I second the Bugera suggestion. Go try one out if you can.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Hmm, well you definately need enough power for the school, you could just have it turned up to like 0.01 at home perhaps.. I know it's not ideal

HELLO!

I’m just going to point out that you can keep the Marshall to practice on and not worry about how loud the other amp gets.
Quote by jpnyc
I’m just going to point out that you can keep the Marshall to practice on and not worry about how loud the other amp gets.

That is true. It's what I'm considering at the moment.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Well in that case

+100000000000 to Bugera

They're pretty solid for the price and pretty versatile.
The lead guitarist in my band has a 6262 combo and it is pretty awesome.

I'm actually taking a look into some Bugeras myslef as upgrade to my 15w Vypyr haha
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Quote by SGburnsRED
Well in that case

+100000000000 to Bugera

They're pretty solid for the price and pretty versatile.
The lead guitarist in my band has a 6262 combo and it is pretty awesome.

I'm actually taking a look into some Bugeras myslef as upgrade to my 15w Vypyr haha

I'm seriously looking into them at the moment. I like what I hear. It's a much tighter sound than a valveking, and it's much more natural than a vypyr.

I'm probably going to keep my little marshall as a practice amp now, and considering the prices of Bugeras, gonna go for it.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by Raijouta
The Vypyr Tube 60 is a better choice than the Valveking without some mods done to it.

wrong.
IMO you best option is to go used. If you have to have new then go for a Bugera 333XL or 6262.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Well valvekings sounds better when you do all the mods to it like changing the OT and speaker and some other stuff.

But yeah the Bugeras sounds sick I'm loving the 333xl 212. Thinking about getting it myself.
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Have a blast at the Laney VC30, you might like it. You'll probably prefer it to the Bugera for cleans/classic rock, but not quite as br00tal.
Listening to the stuff in your profile, a 5150-esque amp (6262 etc) isn't going to appeal to you all that much.
And if you're younger, you're going to find it very heavy and bulky to transport, whereas the VC30 is light and portable but still packs a hell of a punch.

Personally I'd go for the VC30, or Bugera 1990 with a used 2x12.
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
Have a blast at the Laney VC30, you might like it. You'll probably prefer it to the Bugera for cleans/classic rock, but not quite as br00tal.
Listening to the stuff in your profile, a 5150-esque amp (6262 etc) isn't going to appeal to you all that much.
And if you're younger, you're going to find it very heavy and bulky to transport, whereas the VC30 is light and portable but still packs a hell of a punch.

Personally I'd go for the VC30, or Bugera 1990 with a used 2x12.

Another very good idea. Btw, you'll probably will prefer any of the Bugera's tones at low volumes than the MG's anyway.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by brutalmania
wrong.

What are you talking about? I thought even my friend's 75 sounded better than my stock VK.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Don't sacrifice your stage sound for what you do in your bedroom. Seriously, thats just ridiculous. If it doesn't sound perfect at low volumes so what? I really don't get the way people stress over how their amp sounds in their bedroom, it's how it sounds on stage that counts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I agree with the Bugera suggestions, a 1990 could probably fit the bill in your price range.

Though, just as a thought, have you looked into renting some gear?
Quote by Shabadoo
I agree with the Bugera suggestions, a 1990 could probably fit the bill in your price range.

Though, just as a thought, have you looked into renting some gear?

I was about to suggest exactly the same thing. Nothing wrong with renting occasionally, good way to try gear out properly too. You'll get a far better idea that way than just trying it at a shop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ghold125
Try out a Bugera 333

second that. though you have about a 1 in 37 chance (got that from bugera website) of getting a defective amp. and MANY people complain about bugera and behringer's customer support
Recommendation dump, besides the vypyr and bugera:

Line 6 Flextone III - decent and extremely versatile, much better than the spider. However I still find it a bit harsh-sounding.

Valvepower 18 - won't do metalcore on it's own w/o a boost, but I really like its tone. It's only 300 pounds.

Jet City JCA20H - coolamp...again needs a boost for anything more than early metal, or so i hear.

Used Laney TT50 - I own this. EXTREMELY versatile. I play blues, classic rock, hard rock, funk, thrash and death metal all on this little ****er. If you can find one used that wil be awesome.

Hayden MoFo - heard good things about it. WIll require boost for modern metal.

Carvin X-100B

Carvin V3
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I'd suggest a Blackstar Series One 100 so you can tell me how it sounds, but that's well over 500 pounds.

kidding aside, I +1 Bugera, particularly the 333XL.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Cathbard
Don't sacrifice your stage sound for what you do in your bedroom. Seriously, thats just ridiculous. If it doesn't sound perfect at low volumes so what? I really don't get the way people stress over how their amp sounds in their bedroom, it's how it sounds on stage that counts.

Because some people, in fact I'm guessing most people play at least 75 percent of the time in their bedroom?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Raijouta
What are you talking about? I thought even my friend's 75 sounded better than my stock VK.

Speaking of the Valveking...

If you were to get it used, then I would suggest doing the JCM900 and/or Mesa mods mentioned in the Wiki (in my sig).
Ilya-v made/discovered these mods, and they are awesome sounding.
... if you are willing to do some electronics work, that is.

The Bugera 333 or 333xl would probably suit your needs.

I didn't particularly like it, but every Bugera amp I've played has came with bad tubes.
Page 1 of 2