I've been looking for a program to upgrade from Garageband on my mac. I'm TIRED of all of the under the hood stuff GB does to my recordings. I want complete control over my recording, mixing, mastering, everything. I've been trying to use Cubase LE but it's not working for me since I can't use my interface's input and my computers output. Are there any programs aside from Logic that I could use as an upgrade?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
why not logic? it's the best... logic express is cheaper if you don't want to spend all the money for logic pro
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
why not logic? it's the best... logic express is cheaper if you don't want to spend all the money for logic pro

Because in all honesty, I'm ****ing tired of the under the hood stuff that goes on. Does Logic abandon that? I don't know what Garageband's problem is, but I can have a beautiful mix, export it and have crap.

I will consider Logic again IF and only if I have complete control of my mixings.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Logic is awesome. It gives you complete control, if there is any under the hood stuff (i dont think there is) you can change it in the preferences. The new one that came out a little while ago is absolutely incredible. if you're up to the money, your best options are that or protools. i'd go with logic though, so you dont have to buy all the digidesign hardware.
I don't use the interfaces output because I have a nice sound system with flat response and I don't want to buy monitors on top of that. It's also more convenient since i'm on a laptop to just use headphones.

But I guess I'll have to consider Logic some more. How much of an improvement over GB is it? I'd be getting the... 200$ version? Not the full one.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Logic is about as far a step up as you can get. it's sitting up there right next to protools. i'm not sure anything else could step it up even further except maybe Ableton Live, but that's only if you're DJing.

Logic beats the pants off Cubase any day. technically, they can do basically the same stuff, but Logic does it tons better, is a lot easier to use and doesn't crash half as much.
Can you explain what GB is doing to your files? It could be your export settings, or the way you monitor it while you mix, then the speakers you play it back on. Last time I checked GB doesn't apply any kind of effects to your audio without giving you control over the effects.

You say you have a nice sound system with flat response...I doubt that. What are you monitoring with? Unless you're using some decent monitors, you're not getting a flat response, ESPECIALLY if you're mixing into headphones.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by Sid McCall
Can you explain what GB is doing to your files? It could be your export settings, or the way you monitor it while you mix, then the speakers you play it back on. Last time I checked GB doesn't apply any kind of effects to your audio without giving you control over the effects.

It's very subtle, but it drives me crazy. I'll have a mix that sounds warm and wide and blah blah, exactly the way I want. I'll export it to iTunes and it'll sound more harsh, compressed, etc. It's not blatant but if I A/B the Garageband file and the iTunes file I can hear it. I export at maximum quality with no compression or normalization.

In response to your edit, I'm using a set of my Dad's EPI100 speakers he got in the 60's specifically for a perfectly flat response. I'm also using a....can't think of the brand amplifier. It's back and my dorm. I mix with headphones when I have to though.
Regardless, the differences are noticeable not matter what medium I listen to the tracks through. My Sennehiser headphones, my Skull Candy headphones, my dad's EPI speakers, my Panasonic surround sound system. Noticeable on each one.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 23, 2009,
That sounds like your iTunes import settings. Make sure that it doesn't compress your mp3s to 128kpbs upon import, which is the default. You want at LEAST 256, but 320 is the best. They tend to hide that under 'advanced' or some other hard to find tab, but I'm sure you can find it. I think you can stop it from even converting your files to mp3s, perhaps opt for .aiff files?

If the audio sounds the way you want it to when you play back in garageband, then your recording software isn't the issue (unless it's the export settings). Also note that Logic or any other large DAW won't export a low quality mp3, it won't even give you the option. When I bounce out of Ableton, my only choices are .wav and .aiff (which are both lossless).

My money is on iTunes being the culprit here.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Dec 24, 2009,
+1 on mp3 compression being the culprit. As suggested, try optimising the output settings before forking out on new software. I'm pretty sure GB doesn't make any automated adjustments to projects.
Quote by Sid McCall
That sounds like your iTunes import settings. Make sure that it doesn't compress your mp3s to 128kpbs upon import, which is the default. You want at LEAST 256, but 320 is the best. They tend to hide that under 'advanced' or some other hard to find tab, but I'm sure you can find it. I think you can stop it from even converting your files to mp3s, perhaps opt for .aiff files?

If the audio sounds the way you want it to when you play back in garageband, then your recording software isn't the issue (unless it's the export settings). Also note that Logic or any other large DAW won't export a low quality mp3, it won't even give you the option. When I bounce out of Ableton, my only choices are .wav and .aiff (which are both lossless).

My money is on iTunes being the culprit here.

Maybe my iTunes got reset? I used to have it import/compress at whatever the max is as well but since upgrading to a new computer maybe I forgot to change all of my preferences over.

And that's exactly what I want. That's one of the few things I liked more about audacity; the ability to export in .wav

I'll check my iTunes settings. Thanks for the help!

Edit: HAH. 192. Now it's back to 320. Thanks

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 24, 2009,
The Difference between Garageband and Logic Pro is like the difference between:

and

Awesome! I'm glad you got it sorted out! It's always the little things that you don't think twice about that will really screw you over. You should definitely upgrade to Logic, I think you'll find that it's one of the best DAWs on the market!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Awesome! I'm glad you got it sorted out! It's always the little things that you don't think twice about that will really screw you over. You should definitely upgrade to Logic, I think you'll find that it's one of the best DAWs on the market!

I definitely can't afford the full Logic right now, but I can get a discount through the college my parents work at for the Express for $150. Would that be a good first step? I'd probably upgrade to the studio version later.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I don't really know the differences, but from the little research I did on buying Logic before I ended up realizing that Ableton did everything I was looking for (and more) tells me that you should be fine with express, it's going to have everything you could do in garageband and then some, so it won't be a step backwards by any means.

The only thing to worry about is that I don't think you can get the discounted upgrade to the full Logic from an Educational version of Express. They're only student-friendly to a certain extent. I know that's what turned me off of buying it, but you should confirm that before you go any further. I know the information is easy to find, and it's in Apple's web store.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
I don't really know the differences, but from the little research I did on buying Logic before I ended up realizing that Ableton did everything I was looking for (and more) tells me that you should be fine with express, it's going to have everything you could do in garageband and then some, so it won't be a step backwards by any means.

The only thing to worry about is that I don't think you can get the discounted upgrade to the full Logic from an Educational version of Express. They're only student-friendly to a certain extent. I know that's what turned me off of buying it, but you should confirm that before you go any further. I know the information is easy to find, and it's in Apple's web store.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out to see if I can still upgrade.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Logic is nice but you do have to set it up correctly to work with any interface. If you want good sound both in, input signal to your interface and also monitor off of it. Either good headphones or a fairly good set of monitors is HIGHLY suggested

You could also go with ProTools or Sonar but PT requires a new interface...
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by moody07747

You could also go with ProTools or Sonar but PT requires a new interface...

Sonar is PC only