Well, I've been playing for years, but I've never bothered with theory, preferring only to play by ear. But now, I want to learn, and I feel like a kindergartner when everything is tried to be explained to me (there's something grammatically wrong with that, I know)

Anyway, I know that music is played in like 4/4, 3/4, etc. time, but I haven't a clue as to what the heck that means. I'm attempting to "tab out" a couple of songs, and I need to know where to place the vertical bars for the measures (I think I know what a measure is: the notes between the vertical bars, right?). But, here I have all my tabs written out, and it beats the hell out of me where to divide it all.

So, I guess I need to know (for example, in attempting to understand Beats Per Minute/Measure), apparently taught for moronic understanding:
What is a beat?
What is a measure?
If a song is given as 4/4, does that mean there are 4 notes per measure? if 3/4, does that mean 3 notes per measure? AND,
What does the bottom number mean? If it's 3/4, 3 notes of what?

I could go on, but I do want an answer, so I'll summarize it, if I can: How do I determine how many beats per measure I should divide my tabs?

Please excuse my apparent retardation :embarrassed:

Chet
Last edited by chet wisner at Dec 23, 2009,
Number on top is how many beats in a measure. Bottom number tells you what note gets one pulse.
ex.
4 indicates that there are 4 beats to a measure and the quarter note gets one beat.

8 indicates there are 6 beats to a measure and the eighth note gets one beat.

Also, beat =/= note. In 4/4 there could be 8 eight notes.

4 means that there is 3 beats per measure and the quarter note is worth one beat.

A measure would be something like

4 Q Q E E H

That equals 4 beats and is indeed one measure.

Q=quarter
E=eighth
H=half

EDIT: I keep updating this post as I keep re-reading your post.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Dec 23, 2009,
PS: before anyone tries to help me, I know someone is gonna say something about "Quarter notes", so: what's a "quarter note"? AND, I guess that implies I need to know the technical definitiopn of a NOTE <sigh>
its basicly beats per bar

4/4 = 4 crotchet beats in one bar and , like a metronome tick would be "tick, tick, tick, bar, tick tick tick bar"

3/4 = "tick, tick, bar, tick, tick, bar"

basicly the top number = beats
bottom = note

i find theroy hard to explain online
Quote by chet wisner
PS: before anyone tries to help me, I know someone is gonna say something about "Quarter notes", so: what's a "quarter note"? AND, I guess that implies I need to know the technical definitiopn of a NOTE <sigh>

I already did try to help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_note
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid