Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place and I know it's a guitar site but I didn't know where else to ask.

I like indie music, british stuff alot (kooks, phoenix, arctic monkeys, libertines, etc.) and i want to get a new instrument other than a guitar to learn...

I don't know if i should get a keyboard or a synth or the real differences between them? i would just want to make some songs with it, and does it have a drum machine or something so i could make beats?

Anyways, i posted a link of a phoenix video where they are using a keyboard/synth not sure and it would be something like that that i would want, something smaller to play around with with beats and stuff hopefully..let me know as i have no idea and any model suggestions would be great too! i dont want to spend TONS, but enough for it to be decent quality at the least..

Thanks!!
Keyboard = Piano/Organ/Strings stuff
Synth = Synthy Stuff

Some synth's will have basic drum machines, but until you get into the higher models they're fairly useless.

The pit might rape me.... But try Fruity Loops? It's on your computer, and I think around $80. Synth's, drums, etc. You can download a demo on their site.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by Ghast
The pit might rape me.... But try Fruity Loops? It's on your computer, and I think around $80. Synth's, drums, etc. You can download a demo on their site.

nah. u wont get raped. at least not for that. this is the pit...

but i totally agree. fruity loops is pretty cool.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Do you have a good laptop/desktop with recording software or any sort? You could look into a midi controller and then get a bunch of software instruments (there are free ones, and some for sale which are also available illegally for free I'm sure) and then you can make any sound you want, and make beats too. Go ask about that in Recordings&Riffs, we know our stuff over there!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by roster05

I like indie music, british stuff alot (kooks, phoenix, arctic monkeys, libertines, etc.)

Sorry dude, but Phoenix is French.

Synth is the way to go. 'Cause synths do all the crazy fun stuff.
All hail the BaartMan.

Gear:
-Guitar
-Another guitar
-Another guitar
-Amplifier
-A few effects pedals
-Piano
-Cat
Quote by Sid McCall
Do you have a good laptop/desktop with recording software or any sort? You could look into a midi controller and then get a bunch of software instruments (there are free ones, and some for sale which are also available illegally for free I'm sure) and then you can make any sound you want, and make beats too. Go ask about that in Recordings&Riffs, we know our stuff over there!

But if he wants to play live with just a keyboard and look BA he might want a hardware synth...
i'm actually interested in this because i want to do some thing like this. I'll tell you right now TS i'm thinking Korg X50 right now.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
haha you guys are awesome..and yes phoenix is french, my bad.

but yea i have never played keyboard/piano in my life so i wouldn't be doing anything live at all, i just want to learn some stuff i guess. i have an acoustic & electric guitar, harmonica and tambourine and they don't get me too far so i wanted to try getting some drum beats and keyboard stuff to fool around and record with mostly..

thanks for all the help btw..
oh and i just have a dell inspiron, which was about 700 in the summer so im not sure how great it is or what it can do to be honest..
Get an Alesis Micron. It has full sized keys unlike the MicroKORG. And more potential. Out of the box sounds are better on the Korg, but the point of a synth is to edit sounds. And the Arpegiater (sp?) is much better on the Micron.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Most eletronic keyboards include a synth or 6. Mine was like $500. Not too bad.

which one do you have?
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by due 07
Get an Alesis Micron. It has full sized keys unlike the MicroKORG. And more potential. Out of the box sounds are better on the Korg, but the point of a synth is to edit sounds. And the Arpegiater (sp?) is much better on the Micron.

Second the Alesis Micron. My friend has one and we use it to record stuff. We get very MGMT-like songs pumped out, but I guess that's all dependent on what you're into.
thanks guys for the help thus far, i suppose even $500 would be abit much right now so i would be leaning more towards a keyboard or some programs for the computer i guess..
To start, I'd get a keyboard, learn the basics of it, even if its a shitty one, then look about branching out with the settings that that one has, then when your fairly decent at that, invest in a good quality synth/keyboard.

You can't rly start at the top, and you really gotta play around and look at what's best for you. I spent a ton of money on a Gibson SG, and I barely play it cause I'm in college and my dorm room has no room for it. So I just play acoustic. So now I'm out a thousand dollars on something I barely use (though I plan on using in the future). Just don't end up like that, you don't wanna make a huge investment on something that your not quite sure you really wanna do.
I would get a relatively cheap ($100US maybe) keyboard with a midi output, and learn keys a bit (there's lessons to be found online, I'm sure), then get some synth software (I can recommend something called ReFX Vanguard, which is quite expensive but there is a free one IIRC..) when you feel you have some keyboard skill under your belt. It isn't a hard instrument to start off -- you can get to a moderate standard relatively quickly, but like any instrument, mastering it takes a lot of effort and practise.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
yea i think that makes the most sense actually..i also have quite a small room and like i said before, i've never even played so it might turn out i can't learn at all, but i see some around at retail stores (walmart, the source, best buy, etc. ) for $60, $100, etc...would one of those work even or do i need something from a music store..no idea what this midi output is though either but i will make sure it has that...
Quote by Nosferatu Man
Learn to listen to better music first.

hush, you.

TS, i don't really know how to explain midi, but it's basically like pushing a key, only instead of the key actually producing the sound, it sends a signal to trigger a "command" like "play electric piano note D# for 2 seconds", only it's designed like a keyboard. So the quality of the sound isn't dependent on the keyboard, it's dependent on the output.

my suggestion: buy a cheap keyboard with MIDI output and download/acquire VSTi's for your computer to manipulate the sound. there are some excellent VST's out there, there's no reason to ever spend a whole lot of money.
You don't even need a high-end synth if you can't afford it. The TB-303 bassline synthesizer was probably the most famous synth from about the 90s till now, because it was misused and people managed to get these weird, squelchy, bubbling bass sounds that a lot of people ended up loving. That synth didn't take off for about five years though, as the sounds it was supposed to be used for were nothing special, and street prices for the first few years of its life were insanely cheap, if i recall correctly, maybe 200-400 dollars at most. (Nowadays they go for about 1500, because of the demand and the fact that only 10,000 were made.) I have a really cheap 80s FM synth (Yamaha DX-21) that comes with really thin-sounding presets, but I've been able to program some insanely fat sounds on it. This synth was actually one of the more popular synths for Detroit techno, despite it's reputation as being cheap. It's all how you use it. As far as synths go, I'd recommend anything you can edit. Seriously, I don't care how expensive or how cheap, software or hardware, as long as you can edit at least SOME parameters, it's worth it. Not to mention any synth will sound better if you sculpt the sound with DSP on a computer.

Quote by mental_zer0

hush, you.

TS, i don't really know how to explain midi, but it's basically like pushing a key, only instead of the key actually producing the sound, it sends a signal to trigger a "command" like "play electric piano note D# for 2 seconds", only it's designed like a keyboard. So the quality of the sound isn't dependent on the keyboard, it's dependent on the output.

my suggestion: buy a cheap keyboard with MIDI output and download/acquire VSTi's for your computer to manipulate the sound. there are some excellent VST's out there, there's no reason to ever spend a whole lot of money.

The other cool thing about MIDI, probably my favourite feature, is that you can go the other way and have your computer sequence a hardware synth, almost like it's playing or conducting it.
Last edited by xaviergray at Dec 24, 2009,