Page 1 of 2
I play mostly metallica. i have a metal distortion and a distortion factory. my amp is a peavey bandit 112. it's ok for metal. but what is the best metal amp for 300$ (as much as the 112)? I was Looking at the jsx mini amp by peavey. it looks pretty nice. i dont need a loud amp. just one with a good tone for metal. would that do? or is there a better one out there?
there is much better tone out there, but you wont get it for $300...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
i know that there is better tone but i am 13 years old. although i am a tax paying worker and have a job it is minimum wage at 7.50 an hour. i just spent 200$ on metal pedals so i want the other 300$ to go to a nice metal amp...
Thats probably the best you will get for metal in that price range. Don't run any pedals with it, just use the amps distortion.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
well, what are you going to use it for? just practice? if so, you dont need 75 watts. a lower vypyr should work fine.

EDIT: how are you 13 and working and paying taxes? where do you live? No one i know would ever hire a 13 year old and pay then 7.50 an hour

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Dec 23, 2009,
in my room. i might take it to play in my band. we have a huge stage ironically. it's at our church and that is where the 75 comes in handy.
Quote by thundermonty
i love pedals i have to use them.

then don't get a vypyr, it's a modeling amp (it has effects built into it), and pedals don't sound good through modeling amps 90% of the time.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by thundermonty
in my room. i might take it to play in my band. we have a huge stage ironically. it's at our church and that is where the 75 comes in handy.

Watts ≠ Volume

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
that should be loud enough

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
well my 112 is 80 watts and i bought a compressor just to use it it's so loud. the metal is sloppy on i though.
don't buy a new amp yet unitl you save up about $500 or more, all amps under $500 are probably not going to get a decent metal tone or give you enough distortion. You could buy the mini JSX and run your pedals through it but in the long run you might not like the tone of a 5 or 15 watt amp.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by SPBY
then don't get a vypyr, it's a modeling amp (it has effects built into it), and pedals don't sound good through modeling amps 90% of the time.

The Vypyr is in that 10% that does sound good. I have the 30 watt version, and it sounds perfectly fine with pedals.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
i dont have the money for a 500$ amp. my original question was for 200-300$ which is the best. lol.
Just use the Bandit 112. It has more than enough distortion to get to the metal range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i use a distortion factory and a metal distortion by digitech. will the vypyr 30 do the job?
how do i get the settings on the 112 to be best for metal. i use the clean channel. what volume/eq?
i know i read your original question i'm purposing that you save up more money since you have a job and get a quality piece of equipment like a peavey valveking or a blackstar HT-5. i have found that using modeling gear isnt that good because i have owned a peavey vypyr and currently own a spider III and i myself am saving up for a mesa dual rec or a peavey 6505. these are quality amps and unless u are planning on just using it as a practice amp the i would say save up more money.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
i understand that. thank you. but lets say i keep the 112. whats the premo metal settings?
Quote by thundermonty
how do i get the settings on the 112 to be best for metal. i use the clean channel. what volume/eq?

well, first of all, use the dirty channel. Seriously.
A wise man once told me to just screw with the EQ until it sounds good
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ok so i'll use the lead. but won't that interfere with my distortion and muck it up. because i use pretty heavy distortion.
if you want a metallica type tone put your EQ at around Treb 8 mids 4 bass 6 gain at around 8 or 9 and play at a volume that is decent to u.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
ok thank you. with gain at 8 or 9 i will really need that compressor the max is 10 and 8 or 9 would be pretty loud. but i will try it.
Quote by thundermonty
ok so i'll use the lead. but won't that interfere with my distortion and muck it up. because i use pretty heavy distortion.

run without the pedals - your amp's distortion is better, I guarantee it.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You know you can turn post gain down right? I can have my amp on 9 gain and still hardly be able to hear it.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Somtimes I like the different distortion tones varying pedals create with my amp. They all seem to create a different distortion pedal to pedal. I don't know if my ear is bad to where I'm hearing things wrong but sometimes my amp's distortion sounds good for some songs I cover and then other times certain pedals work better. It just depends on what you are covering. Now if this is for your own writing then you need to find your own tone which very well could be from some certain pedal out there. I use a metal muff for my own writing and then use modeling distortion when covering songs. I found that pedals sound better with tube amps but work with solid states also even though some people don't like the combination. It is all personal preference.
Quote by mrmystic
You know you can turn post gain down right? I can have my amp on 9 gain and still hardly be able to hear it.

You use that Rage 158 don't you? My brother has one, and I personally don't like it's distortion for much. You can hear that amp good enough with the pre up and post at around 2 or so for a decent bedroom volume in a noise intolerant family.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Quote by thundermonty
so i can have the bass- 7, mid 6, high- 8, pre gain- 8 or 9, post gain 1 or 2?

Yes, but tweek your post gain to the volume that's right for where you're at, I had a perfect setting somewhere around two, there's a definite volume change. My brother's Rage 158, the distortion comes after the master volume (I think), so the post gain is my lead volume.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
if i were you i'd go for a peavey valveking 112 40 watt. its a tube amp (so it doesn't sound digital and stale), sounds great for the price, takes pedals very well, and has more distortion than anyone would ever need, and is loud, really loud. 40 watts tube is egual to 100 watts SS volume wise from what I've heard and the louder you play them the better they sound. to be fair the distortion is a bit harsh for my ears but i'm not really a metal player, which is why im buying a fender hot rod deluxe or twin amp and keeping the peavey for the heavier more metal stuff. the clean channel is great too just drop the bass a bit and its beautiful (with a strat). and i got mine for 300 bucks slightly used and i've see them as low as $270 its really great value for money if you ask me. that's what i would do if i were you.

P.S. keep the peavey for bedroom practice cause well bedroom volumes don't really do that amp justice. or you could sell the peavey and get a cheap little practice amp of some sort( if you can find a 5 or 10 watt tube amp that you can swing go for it, if not any small descent SS or roland cube work for the bedroom).
Last edited by Julianx23 at Dec 24, 2009,
I would reccoment a LINE 6 SPIZER IV!
YEAHAHAH! Modeling amp, you can buy a mini-pedal-board to controll the features. VERY VERY NICE METAL!! WOO! But thats my opinion, I sugest if you want a serious metal something, if you have nice metal pedals, is a fender blues Jr. One of the best selling amps ever, get it it 30 Watt PURE TUBE (if you want the expenses of replacing them ) And there simply amazing for reviews! I donno, I'm getting a spider IV for christmas, and My heart is set on it... the 75 W model...
Any chance of selling or returning the pedals and spending all $500 on say a used 6505 or something similar? You will not need the pedals if you get the right amp. But said amp does not exist at $300.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by thundermonty
i use a distortion factory and a metal distortion by digitech. will the vypyr 30 do the job?

I have a distortion factory, and i tried plugging it into my VYPYR. It sounded like sh*t. I play metal through a squier fat strat through my VYPYR and it sounds heavy enough.

Quote by Led man32
Any chance of selling or returning the pedals and spending all $500 on say a used 6505 or something similar? You will not need the pedals if you get the right amp. But said amp does not exist at $300.

+1
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
all of you have recommended great amps. but i would appreciate it if you would put links to them in your posts. preferably musician's friend.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Led man32

I agree, TS is wasting money/time buying effects right now.

TS I would look for a good amp. It's really a huge part and then shape that with pedals. with a 6505+ You will need a Noise supressor and then maybe look towards a EQ + OD.

Hindsight is 20/20 and believe me i am sure a few of these guys have been where you are at before TS.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Page 1 of 2