so if you look in my signature, u will see that i paly an esp ltd m-50... a faily cheap but nice guitar. i was thinking about investing in some emg's and was wondering if the zakk wylde set was worth the money. im looking for something that will complement a lot of palm muting, harmonics, and such. if u didnt figure it out aleady, i play metal. but im also looking for some good clean tones as well. please give me your thoughts as well as recomendations.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
so if you look in my signature, u will see that i paly an esp ltd m-50... a faily cheap but nice guitar. i was thinking about investing in some emg's and was wondering if the zakk wylde set was worth the money. im looking for something that will complement a lot of palm muting, harmonics, and such. if u didnt figure it out aleady, i play metal. but im also looking for some good clean tones as well. please give me your thoughts as well as recomendations.

Dont waste your money in pickups while your amp is crap
Get a new amp, it will be better in the long run and active pickups and SS amps don't go well
Hola.
He may only use that amp for practices. Lots of people have a crap practice amp and then use better amps at gigs (though the Spider 3 15W is actually a very nice quiet little practice amp. nothing to sound amazing on, but it gets the job done well for bedroom practice). I don't know if this is the case here, but it's definitely a possibliity.
Fiorgetting the amp issue, axtives will be quite a job to install. There's room for the battery to be found, change all the controls and change the jack socket. You get it all with the ZW set but it needs to be installed.
EMG's will give you what you said you want, Its the other things that you may take for granted that could cause you to regret all that work. EMG's do nothing much for your guitar's tone. That's why a lot of people think of them as a bit sterile-sounding. Cleans can be a bit harsh.
I would think that you would be better off with a fairly high output pair of passives, like Irongear Hot Slags, that will give you what you want in metal tones but still have a warmth for cleans that gives your sound some character.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

If you're wanting it to sound like Zakk Wylde too then there actually needs to be room found for two batteries !!

All the 18v modded (or standard) actives do in my experience is push a very big clear signal into the front of your amp. There's no getting away from the amp needing to have the goods to do something with that signal.

They weren't for me but if they are for you then you will need a good amp and the skills to do a full rewire and possibly route a cavity for the battery(ies) to get them in.
Hey there, I highly recommend the ZW set if you're a palm muting maniac like me. I have 3 of my guitars fitted with them.

You'll have to make sure there is room for the battery, and better yet 2 batteries for the 18V mod. There are better pickups out there for cleans, but it still does a decent job when using the neck (EMG 85) pickup. For palm muting good times, I haven't found passive pickups that stack up to them. Plus, in high gain mode you'll get less noise.

Edit: You might want to look at other combinations such as the EMG 81 for the bridge and (I can't remember if it's EMG 60 or 89 for the neck). Look into Seymour Duncan Blackouts too ... I know I am.
Last edited by JackoMBA at Dec 24, 2009,
thanks for all the info guys, very helpfull. just for an update, there is room for the battery's, but i dont think there is for the 18v mod. Plus, im not planning on installing them myself, im taking it to my local guitar tech. as for my amp issue, it currently is the only amp i use but for a little 15w, this thing is a beast. i feel that it is greatly underated. but anyway, keep posting all replies are welcome!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Hey we're in a pretty similar situatoin..

I have the same amp and the same pickups.. although I haven't installed them yet I'm still refinishing my guitar (Sanding takes forever)..

But you should go for the pickups if you like that kind of music..

And i'd check with two 9v batteries just incase, the difference will be worth it in the end..

If you've got the pickups then cool, if not but you still want some new ones get some passives of maybe some Seymour Duncans..

Anyway enjoy your choice whatever it is

HELLO!

Quote by EspTro
... as for my amp issue, it currently is the only amp i use but for a little 15w, this thing is a beast. i feel that it is greatly underated ...

And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's all preference. Unless you're planning on playing in a football stadium, you won't need to upgrade if you're happy with it. If you are, just get your guitar tech to mic it.
The ZW set is nothing more than a standard 81/85 set with the words Zack Wylde printed on them and with a bigger price tag. There's not a damn thing different from standard EMG sets.
Just get a standard 81/85 set, it comes with all the hardware, and just use the 9 volt mod, it brings alot more life to the pickups than using the 18volt mod. Thats why most people hate EMG for their sterilness, cause everybody uses the 18 volt mod, which compresses the hell out of the pickups, makes them sound lifeless, but very hot. Either that or you can spend that money and get some Barenuckles and not have to worry about ever being bashed by anyone ever again, cause you will have epic tone.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The ZW set is nothing more than a standard 81/85 set with the words Zack Wylde printed on them and with a bigger price tag. There's not a damn thing different from standard EMG sets.
Just get a standard 81/85 set, it comes with all the hardware, and just use the 9 volt mod, it brings alot more life to the pickups than using the 18volt mod. Thats why most people hate EMG for their sterilness, cause everybody uses the 18 volt mod, which compresses the hell out of the pickups, makes them sound lifeless, but very hot. Either that or you can spend that money and get some Barenuckles and not have to worry about ever being bashed by anyone ever again, cause you will have epic tone.

well acually, the zw set isnt any more expesive than if i were to get the 2 seperatley. at my local samash, there the same price. but i definatley will check out those barenuckles
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by ethan_hanus

just use the 9 volt mod, it brings alot more life to the pickups than using the 18volt mod. Thats why most people hate EMG for their sterilness, cause everybody uses the 18 volt mod, which compresses the hell out of the pickups, makes them sound lifeless, but very hot.

No, other way round, with 9v being stock and not great, and 18v being alot better.
Quote by BurningAlive409
No, other way round, with 9v being stock and not great, and 18v being alot better.

Are you sure about that, have you actually heard the difference, in person? The 9 volt is less compressed and distorts less, and is more natural sounding, since the pickup preamp is not being pushed so hard, so there is less pickup distortion, you also get Fenderish cleans using the 9 volt mod compared to lifeless distorted nasty cleans when you use the 18 volt mod. Sure, the 18 volt mod sounds much cleaner at high distortions, but thats what most people hate about EMG's, cause there so clear, they want the pickup to have some character to the sound, which the 9 volt mod will give you.
But 9v is not a mod, 18v is the mod which has all the characteristics of your 9v "mod", which makes me think that you might have them mixed up?
Quote by BurningAlive409
But 9v is not a mod, 18v is the mod which has all the characteristics of your 9v "mod", which makes me think that you might have them mixed up?

Nope, I've done both, heard both, and compared both personally, there is a complete difference, and I much perfer the 9 volt mod, which everybody still calls it a mod, even though its standard. It has alot more life to it, all my MP3's are done using EMG 81 81 combo on a 9 volt mod through a Boss Ds-1 through a Peavey Valveking. And I have better tone than most people with EMG's.
Quote by BurningAlive409

this is true.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Ive used the 18v Mod too, and it does sound a lot better than running at just 9v.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by ethan_hanus
Nope, I've done both, heard both, and compared both personally, there is a complete difference, and I much perfer the 9 volt mod, which everybody still calls it a mod, even though its standard. It has alot more life to it, all my MP3's are done using EMG 81 81 combo on a 9 volt mod through a Boss Ds-1 through a Peavey Valveking. And I have better tone than most people with EMG's.

Dude, don't over power with him with opinions, be less biased.

And their is no such thing as a "9 volt mod" as others have said.. standard is 9v.. with 0v you would get no power through the pickups so they would be dead..

Anyway like i was saying.. Opinions won't help the OP but suggestions and facts will..

HELLO!

Quote by ethan_hanus
all my MP3's are done using EMG 81 81 combo on a 9 volt mod through a Boss Ds-1 through a Peavey Valveking. And I have better tone than most people with EMG's.

So your squire strat (with emgs) through a valveking results in a better tone than the majority of people using emgs? Somehow i doubt that.