I currently have an ibanez prestige RG1570 with the stock v7 and v8 humbuckers (So yes it's double humbuckers) and the middle pickup is the S7 (Which is also stock as well).

I'm looking to change pickups, but really there are sooo many choices not quite sure what to go with. I'm thinking I'll keep the v7 (the neck pickup) cos it has a nice warm sound great for jazz/rhythm guitar and even gives a kind of cool Queen sound. I never use the middle pickup at all, so I'll probs just keep the s7 as is, but I want a new bridge pickup.
The current one (V8) doesn't produce harmonics too well and I am a massive harmonic user (heavy stuff, not hendrix style). I also mainly play metal/prog metal/hard rock and LOVE big riffs so my ideal pickup would be something that accentuates harmonics and gives an awesome big riff sound!

Examples of big riff songs are stuff like newborn/stockholm syndrome - Muse
Tool shit, Rage against the Machine etc.

I've read up and everyone seems to be going for the DiMarZio's but I really have no idea what sort of sound they are shooting out or which model would suit me best.

If it helps I've got a 100Watt Hughes and Kettner Matrix 100 amp with a 120Watt Vox cab. So it's only a half stack atm (not tube).
EMG pick ups are awesome for metal....there are both passive and active

active pickups are a bit more hot, so its easy to produce harmonics and it is easy to create those squealies but a downside to active pick ups are that it runs on batteries
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Quote by cobracarg
EMG pick ups are awesome for metal....there are both passive and active

active pickups are a bit more hot, so its easy to produce harmonics and it is easy to create those squealies but a downside to active pick ups are that it runs on batteries

there are passives hotter than actives.
(theres someone on UG who makes a 25K passive pickup.)

other than that, not to sure about what you should use. look for reviews and stuffs.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Bare knuckle pickups, Matt Bellamy (muse) uses the nailbomb in most of his recent mansons and to me it sounds great
Quote by museiscool
Bare knuckle pickups, Matt Bellamy (muse) uses the nailbomb in most of his recent mansons and to me it sounds great

I like your thinking. However now I have hit a few problems, I am a very non-guitar techy person, all I can really do is play them, I know shit all about the wiring etc. etc.

So first things first:

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=1_28

There are four different types of nailbomb:
Open-Poled
Covered
Calibrated open set
Calibrated covered set

I think my current pickups are open-poled, well they look like that, but they could also be calibrated open set, how would I go about finding out which one I need.

Secondly, pickup-size. It says measure from e pole to e pole, I am assuming that pretty much means top hole of pickup to the bottom. It says 50mm is standard but 53mm is common on trem equipped guitars. I measured mine and it's an FR and if I'm measuring from the correct spot I'm thinking mine is a 53mm. Again anywhere that would definately say this?

Then my next problems, I have no idea which conductor and which Leg I'm meant to choose.

Help is appreciated! xD

Oh I'm also assuming this will be too hard for me to replace myself, should I just buy it and then take it down to a guitar shop and pay for them to do it for me? Or is it actually quite simple? (Keeping in mind I have 0 experience with electronics/wiring/inner-works of my guitar.

-rk
Yeah, the bigger pole spacing is known as F spacing and is for guitars equipped with FR trem systems. A set is what you get if you want to replace both 'buckers, so for you, a covered or open unit is what you need. A good alternative to a nailbomb is the Irongear Hot Slag for about a quarter of the price. Back with Bareknuckles, the Warpig is very high output but can still be sweet sounding with the volume backed off a bit.

Replacing is pretty easy if you can handle a soldering iron. Just look where the old pup's wires go and attach the equivalent ones from the new pup the same way. (all pickups come with diagrams for most guitars and wiring for most options) If in doubt, your friendly, neighbourhood technician will be pleased to do it for you for a small consideration..
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Yeah, the bigger pole spacing is known as F spacing and is for guitars equipped with FR trem systems. A set is what you get if you want to replace both 'buckers, so for you, a covered or open unit is what you need. A good alternative to a nailbomb is the Irongear Hot Slag for about a quarter of the price. Back with Bareknuckles, the Warpig is very high output but can still be sweet sounding with the volume backed off a bit.

Replacing is pretty easy if you can handle a soldering iron. Just look where the old pup's wires go and attach the equivalent ones from the new pup the same way. (all pickups come with diagrams for most guitars and wiring for most options) If in doubt, your friendly, neighbourhood technician will be pleased to do it for you for a small consideration..

Thanks for the help two more problems still, which do I choose for:
conductor? - 4 or braided 2?

Leg? - Long1/2" or Short1/4"

Concerning covered or Open, the covered looks cooler, but the rest of my pickups are open, is there a massive change in quality from open to covered? Is it bad to have 1 covered pickup and the rest open? Is it harder to wire a covered from a open, especially if the last pickup was open?

Sorry about all the questions, but out of the other two pickups you mentioned, what are they like in terms of big bassy loud riffs, and handling harmonics? Which would you suggest the most?

Thanks again for your help! And apologies for my lack of knowledge :S

-rk
If you gat the 4 wire version you can do different wiring options, like coil-tap (single coil option) series/parallel (look it up) and out of phase when used with another pickup. All these give you different tonal options but may require a switching device (often a push-pull volume or tone control), The documentation will show all the options and tell you which wires to join together if you only want the regular wiring. I find it handy to have all the options available in case I want them at some stage.
Leg length refers to how far below the mounting ring your existing screws reach. These are the adjustment screws in the middle of each end of the mounting ring and you can only tell by removing the existing pickup.
If your other pickups are open, I'd say it will look better to match them. Some say open pickups are more responsive but I could never tell any difference. Wiring is equally easy as all the wires are below the pickup level anyway.
Warpiga are very 'hot' If you find recent Motorhead clips, Phil is now using them in his White LP type guitar. The sound is brash and uncompromising. Strangely, they do also provide very smooth tones when required.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJYUCBw3BI&feature=player_embedded
Hot Slags would be very similar to Nailbombs and samples can be found on the Irongear website. I am strongly considering them for my new LP but that is because I already have an EMG equipped axe and will eventually get a cool blues guitar with P90s as well. So for me they will cover a pretty wide range of sounds.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

thank you. Gonna have to figure out what this leg shiz is, don't even know what the mounting palte is xD

I've taken a listen to the three different pickups, atm the hot slag is sounding too classic rock (AC/DC) sorta thing for me, whilst the nailbomb almost sounded too metal, but then again Matt Bellamy uses them so I'm sure the sound I am after can be achieved. The warpig was sounding very nice though, but the extra expense is always a bit of a pain in the ass. I shall deliberate over the war pig and nailbomb for a bit longer I think.

Also looking at Bellamy's gear also noticed he has a Fernandes Sustainer as a neck pickup in a lot of his guitars and am now strongly considering this as well. I'm thinking more complex to set up though.