I'm looking to start learning songs by ear are there any songs that you guys would recomend to start with that would be easy to do so?
try a song that you like that no one else has tabs for, therefore you can help others learn how to play it also. but please, try to listen closely, i dont know how some of these tabs pass.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
do some punk songs because they are easy...just to develop your ear for now

then you might want to do some solos... blues is good for that... bb king, albert king, chuck berry, etc.

some pink floyd solos are really easy to transcribe and so are ZZ Top solos...
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
actually, the first song i tried tabbing (which i tabbed out 100% correct) was "A Never Ending Search For Closure" by Conducting From The Grave

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Horse with no name.

Quote by SPBY
actually, the first song i tried tabbing (which i tabbed out 100% correct) was "A Never Ending Search For Closure" by Conducting From The Grave

How do you know it was correct?
Quote by tenfold

How do you know it was correct?

because i played it along with the song and it was 100% correct, down to the timing changes. it synced up perfectly and ended at the exact same time. there would be dissonant notes if it was wrong, and there were none.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by down n dirty
"A Never Ending Search For Closure" isnt in an alternate tuning is it?

it's in drop C, as are all the songs on their album. i think they used to tune to Drop Db, but now it's all drop C.

the tabs on here are all wrong. I guess i should submit my tab, but i like being the only one with the correct tabs for it haha... i guess i'll submit it for you all.

EDIT: actually, it's the entire lead guitar part, i couldn't hear the clean part that the rhythm guitarist played.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by SPBY
because i played it along with the song and it was 100% correct, down to the timing changes. it synced up perfectly and ended at the exact same time. there would be dissonant notes if it was wrong, and there were none.

I'm just saying it's probably not right as most tabs are. Not insulting you but usually tabs are in the wrong portion of the neck or miss subtleties.
^you mean the wrong fingerings? I don't see how that's a big deal as long as the notes themselves are correct. Finger positions can be adjusted to the individual player.
Different positions will have different timbre and may also be easier to play a certain piece.
I'm just saying that having a 100% correct tab normally only comes from the artist [him/her]self because most tabs aren't exactly how the artist played that piece. It's not a big deal at all if you get a 5 star tab from UG since 95% of the 5 star tabs are accurate. I have occasionally seen pieces tabbed wrong, and I knew they were wrong because the artist plays them differently like Megadeth tabs or MAB tabs.
Actually, yeah. that's a valid point. different strings produce different tones, so I can see why the positions matter if you really want it to be 100% accurate.
Maybe write the down the notes of the melody first. Then put dots above where you hear a chord change and then look at the note of the melody ( for example C) and you can try a C(root) chord a Am chord (the 3rd) or F chord (fifth) etcetra
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
First just make sure your guitar is tuned for the song. Most of song have differents tunning.

Try to tab a song that play in standard and has no harmony, so it can be much more easy

I'll suggest you to tab anything from Pennywise, it's a punk band and it's really easy to tab.

''Who's on your side'' is an easy song to tab, standard tunning, don't look at tab, try it first than compare after.

Hope it help

-MDP
alright ya i tried the drop c one didnt work out to well just like i thought ill go ahead and try the pennywise one thanks guys
not the best metal album but Thornography by Cradle of Filth is great for learning by ear. the riffs arren't too fast or complex, uses some interesting techniques, and the left and right guitar rhythms are almost completely isolated to their respective speakers. (ie if you turn off your right speaker you'll only hear the left guitar part and vice versa)

edit its in D-standard
If you're just starting I'd recommend some beatles tunes, if you want to do a whole transcription, I find it that going drums-melody-lead guitar-rhythm-bass is the simplest way, if you just want to learn one part of the song then I'd still recommend to start with simple stuff, the beatles, whitesnake, some classic rock or blues that uses simple progressions and build up from there