So i'd love to have a 2x12 or even a 4x12 for jamming and to keep in my room, just to get the most out of my amp, and yes i do know that i can plug my combo into a cabinet. BUT, what i was brainstorming about was a way to take my combo and actually MAKE it into a head whenever i could get a 2x12 cab...bear with me if this sounds stupid. as far as i could see, nothing important is under the top 1/3 of the combo (except the speaker of course), so if i were to chop it (obviously i'd be super careful and clean about it with a saw and tools) down so that it was just big enough to hold the chassis and maybe an inch of room or whatever, would it pretty much just be the same as using a head version?

i don't really see how it wouldn't work, but i'm not going to be doing anything soon, and still won't be going through with that plan unless it seems like there's nothing to screw up.

for those completely lost...here's a diagram just for you...

My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Check the GB&C sticky. There's a thread all about converting combos to heads, as well as a tutorial.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
D'OH!!!....i feel so stupid for not even knowing that...well if i get flamed now, i kinda deserve it

oh...btw...acousticpunk, how's that gigbag holding up?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
couldn't you just sell it and buy a head version of the same amp? seems like a lot of dangerously awesome work for the same result.
Surely the way to go would be to build a whole new cabinet and just slide the guts into it. That way you don't have to butcher anything. You could even make some really sexy looking cabinet and if you screw it up it wouldn't matter because you've destroyed nothing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I did it with my Valveking 112:

As someone has stated, there's a thread in GB&C about all this. I intend to build a new chassis for the 'head' as some point, but ultimately, I'm too lazy to get it done.