I have an Ibanez w/ a Floyd Rose-style trem. It's currently set up for standard tuning with .09-.46 hybrid gauge strings. I want to know if I could get away with tuning it down a half-step with the same strings, or if it would throw the bridge out of wack (I'm not skilled enough to attempt to adjust the truss rod).
Whenever you adjust either the strings or the bridge springs you'll throw the bridge 'out of wack.' Luckily, it's an easy task to just setup the bridge again.

There's a sticky around here about setting up a floating bridge.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
when i tried drop d with my ibanez it threw the tuning all off, not sure if it would if you tuned all the springs down but i have a feeling it would mess up your tuning.

If you dont pull up on the whammy very often you could get it blocked so you can drop tune all you want
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
it shouldnt really affect it too much
i can tune mine from d standard (9-42 strings) to drop F# with just a tiny setup on the bridge
Quote by metallica 666
it shouldnt really affect it too much
i can tune mine from d standard (9-42 strings) to drop F# with just a tiny setup on the bridge

Is your trem blocked or something?
im guessing this is an edge trem? eg edge III, edge pro?
because if its a zr ( i think they only come on the s series) the zps system shuld allow you to go to 1/2 step down without the bridge even moving hence none of the other strings will go outa whack. if its an edge trem i recommend sticking a AAA battery in the bridge cavity, should fix the problem.
Gear

Guitars:
Ibanez S520
Ibanez Grx40

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX Half stack
Ibanez Tbx15r

Effects:
Digitech RP90
Boss Ds-1
Last edited by dani-caffine-22 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by ch0
Whenever you adjust either the strings or the bridge springs you'll throw the bridge 'out of wack.' Luckily, it's an easy task to just setup the bridge again.

There's a sticky around here about setting up a floating bridge.

Cool, thank you. If you don't mind a bit of a n00b follow-up question, let's say that I've already detuned my guitar to Eb. The only thing that's going to really require any adjustment is the intonation (and possibly the action), correct? I haven't messed around with my floyd much yet, so I'm a bit uncertain about this.
Quote by DeusExMachina90
Cool, thank you. If you don't mind a bit of a n00b follow-up question, let's say that I've already detuned my guitar to Eb. The only thing that's going to really require any adjustment is the intonation (and possibly the action), correct? I haven't messed around with my floyd much yet, so I'm a bit uncertain about this.

Your going to have to loosen the tension of the springs in the back of the guitar.

Your type bridge is called a Floating trem, and for them to work, and stay in tune, the tension of the strings need to equal the tension of the springs. When their tensions are equal, the bridge will sit parallel to the body, and when you whammy with it, it will always return to the same spot, thus, staying in tune.

If you've already tune the strings, then your bridge should be sinking into the body a little bit.

An easy way to change tunings with a floating trem is this:

Tune the first string to whatever you're tuning it to (Ignore the other strings right now.) Then adjust the bridge until it's parallel with the body. When you do this, the string will come slightly untuned. Keep tuning the one string, and adjusting the bridge, until the first string stays in tune, and the bridge stays parallel with the body. After you finish with the first string, repeat that whole thing with each string. Going string by string, one string at a time, until the bridge stays parallel, and all the strings stay in tune.

Sorry for the huge post. I know it's alot at once, but it should help you understand it.

Also, read the first few posts of this thread. It has a bunch of stuff that will help you, and you can ask any questions you have in there.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

Your going to have to loosen the tension of the springs in the back of the guitar.

Your type bridge is called a Floating trem, and for them to work, and stay in tune, the tension of the strings need to equal the tension of the springs. When their tensions are equal, the bridge will sit parallel to the body, and when you whammy with it, it will always return to the same spot, thus, staying in tune.

If you've already tune the strings, then your bridge should be sinking into the body a little bit.

An easy way to change tunings with a floating trem is this:

Tune the first string to whatever you're tuning it to (Ignore the other strings right now.) Then adjust the bridge until it's parallel with the body. When you do this, the string will come slightly untuned. Keep tuning the one string, and adjusting the bridge, until the first string stays in tune, and the bridge stays parallel with the body. After you finish with the first string, repeat that whole thing with each string. Going string by string, one string at a time, until the bridge stays parallel, and all the strings stay in tune.

Sorry for the huge post. I know it's alot at once, but it should help you understand it.

Also, read the first few posts of this thread. It has a bunch of stuff that will help you, and you can ask any questions you have in there.

Not too much info at all, thanks for the pointers. I'll give it a try and post again if I run into problems. Many thanks .
no, u cant, cuz floyd rose's suck...
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09