I need help with how to practice with my right hand. I'm attempting to fingerpick both rhythm and lead ala delta blues, but I can't get my head in two directions.

Any help would be appreciated.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
While I'm no expert, I can do it to an extent. Here's what I do:

I play the bass line with just the finger(s) I'm going to use to play it. I play it until I get it down perfect WITHOUT thinking about it. Then I play it SLOWLY with the melody going over the top to the best of my abilities. If that doesn't work, then play the melody using the fingers you're going to play it with until you get it down good, and then combine the two.
I got into this kind of stuff a year ago, and it was very hard for me as well.

I started of practising slowly and did what diminished^^ says.

The most important thing is to use your ears. This may sound like obvious advice, but here it makes or breaks it.

U need to listen to get the effect of 2 separate guitars, so you not loose the groove or get a melody with bad timing.

More concrete; I do lil rhythm exercises which help loads, and will give a few example;

This first one should be attempted with ur picking hand's thumb on the notes on the E and A string. To get a more delta effect, mute these 2 so it gets a bit more of that punch.

Also make sure that you don't get hic-ups and listen well for the accents.

Rest of the right hand fingering is;

G = Index
B = middle
e = Ring

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S    
e||--------0-------0-------0-------0-|
B||----------3---------------3-------|
G||----0-------0-------0-------0-----|
D||----------------------------------|
A||------2-------2-------2-------2---|
E||--0-------0-------0-------0-------|

And this one is a scale example to practice it the other way around. Rhythm is now on the top strings, while the melody/bass plays over it on the low strings.

In this example, you should use ur thumb on the E, A and D string.

E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E          
--0-----0-----0-----0-----|-----||
--0-----0-----0-----0-----|-----||
--------------------------|-----||
--------------------1--2--|-----||
-----------0--2--4--------|-----||
--0--2--4-----------------|-----||

These are just 2 examples, but you should just make ur own. Start out very slowly, and use your ear to make sure the feel of the groove stays, and doesn't get affected by the melody, or vice versa.

I would like to add, this is for me one of the most fun things to practice, because it mimics a style of a piano would do.

This is also the hardest to get right even with the simplest of patterns with all the nuances, and thus shouldn't be taking lightly.

It might take a week to get just one pattern down to a solid groove/melody interaction, but if you practise well, and practice different patterns, and once again use your ear, and within a few months it will feel more natural

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 24, 2009,