So today I was looking at some of my tab books and the tuning for most of the songs was standard half step down. Now the song is played in Eb major but for some reason the key signature is for the Key of E major. Why isn't it Eb? And along the same lines why for the same tuning (half step down) are chords listed in as if the tuning is still standard? E.G. B major isn't called B major it's called C major. Is this more of a simple convience that people remember what a C chord fingering looks like? Same thing goes for when a capo is used.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
sounds like its for convenience.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Quote by dez_cole
sounds like its for convenience.

+1 It's just to make things easier. Keep it simple.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Because when a typical guitarist looks at standard notation, they're going to go for a specific fret. If the note says "C", most will go for that note that's normally a C, regardless of tuning. So if they wrote it as "B", it might be interpreted wrong. Of course, having tab negates that a bit, but I guess it's for convenience.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
usually you'll notice a note saying something like : all notes sound half step lower than written". It is merely for convenience, when i see a note written, i think of where its at, not the actual note it is