Page 1 of 2
Hey, I've been playing guitar for 2 3/5 years now, and I'm getting a Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt modeling amp and I have a Ibanez RG series Floyd Rose (I can't remember exact model, somewhere around 500$,) And I wanna step it up a notch, something within 0 - 800$ That is WORTH IT!

Particular Tones and qualities:GOOD metal tones, sustainable low tunings, (for LOTS AND LOTS OF JP (John Petrucci) ) And maby some Metallica, Megadeth, and stuff like that.

Was thinking: DEANS DEANS DEANS!!!! Smokin hot babies that are good loking and sounding with easy playability! Also a couple nice Ibanezes. Like this one. - http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/3077/

So UG... Tell me what you think!

Also: My guitar! : http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/3023/
Your guitar isnt that bad. If you want a good metal tone, you're going to need a better amp. Any Spider more than 15 watts is A) a waste of money and B) just a glorified practice amp.
What genres you play?
Willing to go used?
Nearest major city?
oh lord

go to shops and play around, get something that you like.....

but my suggestion is to get a different amp (dont go solid state) THEN worry about getting a nicer guitar

if you got a different amp it would step up your sound more-so than a different guitar through the same amplifier
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 24, 2009,
well for metal you can go wrong with dean and ibanez but i would put some emgs if you want a mettalica like tone as they use them as well not sure about megadeth
Quote by littlephil
Your guitar isnt that bad. If you want a good metal tone, you're going to need a better amp. Any Spider more than 15 watts is A) a waste of money and B) just a glorified practice amp.
What genres you play?
Willing to go used?
Nearest major city?

And might I add are you gigging?
Quote by scaronyourface
And might I add are you gigging?

Thought I forgot something
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
oh lord

go to shops and play around, get something that you like.....

but my suggestion is to get a different amp (dont go solid state) THEN worry about getting a nicer guitar

if you got a different amp it would step up your sound more-so than a different guitar through the same amplifier

I wouldn't say that just yet, he might find a SS Randall that he might like.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by supersac
well for metal you can go wrong with dean and ibanez but i would put some emgs if you want a mettalica like tone as they use them as well not sure about megadeth

No EMG's are not the be all and end all if you want a Metallica-ish tone especially when you're playing through a Line 6 Spider IV.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
i believe he already has it, but the 6505 will completely blow away the spider

Hell, even that Randall will.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If your dead set on getting a guitar, you could go with a Schecter. They run about $750 for the Hellraiser series, which have coil tappable EMG's, set necks, 24 XJ frets, locking tuners, I really can't wait till I get mine, a great clean tone, and a great distorted tone. Instead of getting a guitar you could get the Peavey amp suggested by Prodigy179 and LPstudioWRz28.
ANSWER TO SOME QUESTIONS! AHHH!
I am NOT gigging, just maby practicing with my band, or at home
I play METAL, Progressive,Heavy,Thrash, some hard rock, basicly thats all...
I HAVE bought the line 6, just waiting on christmas to get it.
My guitar is nice, just the floyd rose bridge is WAYYY to much of a hassle to do tuning and changing strings, drop tunings....

FOR AMPS, My guitar teacher recommended me buying a Vox VT30 Valvatronix (Or something like that) And he said the peavy's were crap, and the spider was bad. So Yeah.... But I tried out the spider at long and mcquade, with a decent guitar, it was a little better than mine, but hell, any amp thats half-respectable works for me, for almost 3 years of playing with a Fender 15g practice amp...

And AMPS ARE WHAT IM NOT LOOKING FOR AHH! Please guitars that would sound nice with this Amp: Line 6 Spider IV 75W

And I also live in Vancouver. BC
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Dec 24, 2009,
OK, Peaveys are good.

And tbh, no guitars sound nice with that amp.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Schecter blackjack atx. try that bad boy out.

Wassup with the 6505+ 112 being end all be all suggestion on UG. lol.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by oneblackened
OK, Peaveys are good.

And tbh, no guitars sound nice with that amp.

this. try returning that damn spider and get some better amp. it doesn't matter what guitar you play through a spider, if you use they presets, they'll ALL sound the same.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Vox's suck.
Only Meshuggah uses Line6s and you didnt include them in your list.
Save some and get a 6505+ head. A friend of mine owns one and it sounds ok IMO.
Quote by Grimriffer
Vox's suck.

No, they don't. Just for metal.
Even though Meshuggah uses Line 6 amps, they use their flagship amp - the Vetta II, not a Spider.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Grimriffer
Vox's suck.

Meh..... he's doing something wrong, that amp is alittle dull on it's own but with the right seasonings it's a fuggin chainsaw. Lot of amps are like that.

well my 6262 is at least.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
This thread is full of derp and amp stereotypes.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
Schecter blackjack atx. try that bad boy out.

Wassup with the 6505+ 112 being end all be all suggestion on UG. lol.

6505+ 112 is a good amp, considering a normal 6505 is pretty expensive.

And I have a Vox. But I got it when I didn't know shit about amps.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Last edited by Snake™ at Dec 24, 2009,
6506+ 112 sounds like a good amp for metal. and if you want a new metal guitar after try ESP/LTD or Jacksons
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by Snake™
6505+ 112 is a good amp, considering a normal 6505 is pretty expensive.

And I have a Vox. But I got it when I didn't know shit about amps.

Yea i know it's a good amp but it's so new and so over recommended it's ridiculous. I think the head is a better buy used cause from what i heard the speaker sucks in it.

But for a portable 6505 it's cool.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by Gego

That's a very nice guitar. I suggest you get that one or a Schecter Hellraiser series guitar. They have coil tapping and some have fixed bridges and other stuff.. (just read my other post on the first page) If those don't float your boat look at other ESP's.
The first RGA you posted is cheaper on Musician's Friend's website or you can get the matt black RGA 32 for $350 which is a lot cheap but it doesn't have the EQ switch. You should really look at a different guitar then the first RGA you posted because you can get something with better pickups and a set neck for that $600 price tag. Look at the Hellraisers like many have said or go for a LTD with the emg's for the $500-$600 price instead of a bolt-on neck with Ibanez's on brand pickups in it. That's just my opinion. You know the spider IV's are greatly improved over the III's and if you aren't a gigging musician then who cares. I mean if you play metal then it's got plenty of options but if you do decide a new amp is in order then maybe look at a Bugera 1990 head since they sound exactly like a JCM900 which is a high gain amp and can sound great for metal but that again is my opinion. Good Luck whatever you do but remember how much you would be paying with that RGA 42 you posted about and what features you could get. Musician's Friend has a LTD deluxe model with a set-neck on clearance right now. Here's the link and if you check ESP's website it is the deluxe model:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH1000-Duncan-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=423297

If you want EMG's instead then here is a link to almost the same guitar with those pickups:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=520114V

I've never owned a LTD but I wouldn't pay that for those feature instead of that RGA unless you get the RGA32 which is $350. Good Luck as previously said!
Guitar for around $800
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNT
Schecter Hellraiser

For $600 or less
Schecter C-1
Dean Vendetta 4.0 or even the 3.0

Skip on the Spider amps, I had the Spider IV head, and took it back the next weekend UGH!a good amp for little $$$ are the Bugera 6260 and 333xl. Both can be had for under $800
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Dec 24, 2009,
I agree with everyone else about the Schecters. I just got a C1-EX and it plays like a dream.
Hmmm... anyone have a link to one of these Schecters? Sounds nice enough to get, and It's christmas so I already have my line 6 spider, huge ass, and unboxed, because it has a great sound, I played it with a 500$ guitar, and I can build my own sound really easily, may not be too lightbut it gets the job done....

Another Dean Razorback I was intrested in... http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Razorback-DB-Electric-Guitar?sku=514870

I think they have this at our local Tom Lee, Hell, they have tons of deans...
You're being really, really thick, you know that?

The Spider is NOT a good amp and does NOT sound good with a 500$ guitar. It sounds the same with your guitar for one, and second, once you get to recognise some tones (you listed JP, right?) you'll realise it's a crap amp.

Trust me/the rest of the guys, if the Spider is still boxed, return it and get that 6505 combo or something. At least something different. Then get a fixed bridge guitar (Maybe trade in your old one?), get someone to properly set it up and then you'll be set for years.
With that amp, it's really not gonna matter what your guitar is. Passive pickups with solid state modeling are all gonna sound about the same.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
Sorry for going OT but... If he wants a guitar advice him on a guitar, I'm pretty sure he has heared all your oppinions about his amp, big ****ing deal, he's happy with his amp and would like a guitar upgrade so be nice and actually HELP him instead of dissing him.

What alot of you seem to forget is that even though an amp makes up most of your tone, the guitar is the part that's closest to you, the part that you're most closely connected with... It's the object you hold in your hands for hours while playing. It's called playing GUITAR for a reason...

A new guitar can also give a huge boost to your motivation to play, hell, if it's a big upgrade in quality it might even make playing easier...

And not to disregard the fact he already mentioned he currently has a guitar with a floyd and hates the hassle of it, that alone is a reason to think about a new guitar...

I myself use a shitty Roland Cube 60 and i'm soon buying an Ibanez S5470, yes I know my amp sucks, yes I know the guitar is way too good in comparison to my amp, but who gives a ****. I want a new guitar because i love the feel and I KNOW it'll give my playing motivation a HUGE boost (not like I've got any problems with that at the moment:p)

//rantmode off, just had to get this off my chest.
Last edited by Gego at Dec 25, 2009,
Thankyou! I already am playing my spider 4 and it sounds beautiful, I got all my settings tweaked to my needs and now I can just practice! Its sounds good I can play JP stuff FINE AND GOOD! NO MORE AMP ADVICE! Now just guitar advice, so the http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC-1000-Electric-Guitar-516629-i1149002.gc
Is seeming like a very nice choice to me, and I AM going by the states and florida during our vancouver olympics, we will go to pawn shops and stuff and maby get a guitar there! If not we could invest something in The guitar choise above.... IF we go to guitar center...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC-1000-Electric-Guitar-516629-i1149002.gc Is also a good choice, but I dont buy online, shipping to canada from the US is too much...
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Thankyou! I already am playing my spider 4 and it sounds beautiful, I got all my settings tweaked to my needs and now I can just practice! Its sounds good I can play JP stuff FINE AND GOOD! NO MORE AMP ADVICE! Now just guitar advice, so the http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC-1000-Electric-Guitar-516629-i1149002.gc
Is seeming like a very nice choice to me, and I AM going by the states and florida during our vancouver olympics, we will go to pawn shops and stuff and maby get a guitar there! If not we could invest something in The guitar choise above.... IF we go to guitar center...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC-1000-Electric-Guitar-516629-i1149002.gc Is also a good choice, but I dont buy online, shipping to canada from the US is too much...

Np mate It's a nice guitar. I considered buying it myself for quite a while, but I decided i needed a guitar with a floyd since my RG is a fixed bridge Still considering buying it sometime in the future actually... :P
Quote by Supermansdead81
The first RGA you posted is cheaper on Musician's Friend's website or you can get the matt black RGA 32 for $350 which is a lot cheap but it doesn't have the EQ switch. You should really look at a different guitar then the first RGA you posted because you can get something with better pickups and a set neck for that $600 price tag. Look at the Hellraisers like many have said or go for a LTD with the emg's for the $500-$600 price instead of a bolt-on neck with Ibanez's on brand pickups in it. That's just my opinion. You know the spider IV's are greatly improved over the III's and if you aren't a gigging musician then who cares. I mean if you play metal then it's got plenty of options but if you do decide a new amp is in order then maybe look at a Bugera 1990 head since they sound exactly like a JCM900 which is a high gain amp and can sound great for metal but that again is my opinion. Good Luck whatever you do but remember how much you would be paying with that RGA 42 you posted about and what features you could get. Musician's Friend has a LTD deluxe model with a set-neck on clearance right now. Here's the link and if you check ESP's website it is the deluxe model:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH1000-Duncan-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=423297

If you want EMG's instead then here is a link to almost the same guitar with those pickups:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=520114V

I've never owned a LTD but I wouldn't pay that for those feature instead of that RGA unless you get the RGA32 which is $350. Good Luck as previously said!

Set neck is not necessarily better than bolt-on by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote by brleealbright
With that amp, it's really not gonna matter what your guitar is. Passive pickups with solid state modeling are all gonna sound about the same.

Not necessarily... tell that to the PodXT, or ESPECIALLY the AxeFX.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Page 1 of 2