I looked all over and couldn't find anything devoted to Guitar Rig by Native Instruments and thought I would start one. If I missed something then A: my title seems a bit retarded and B: disregard this and go to the original.

This is a place for owners and those interested in purchasing any level of Guitar Rig.

Questions, advice, presets and anything else Native Instruments/Guitar Rig is welcome here.

Fire away!!

EDIT: If you are here to say, "OMG dunt spind monies on this when there is FREEE stuff that does the same thing!" I don't care what you do, but this is for Guitar Rig owners and those who are considering it to talk about ALL of the awesome things that this program does as well as the excellent interfaces Native Instruments produces. So if you're here to flame Guitar Rig, kindly leave. Thank you.
Last edited by BrokenDstring at May 23, 2010,
Great Idea. Presets can be found at Guitar amp Modeling forum. Very Helpful. Unfortunately I don't think many UG members own Guitar Rig so I wouldn't expect many presets.

EDIT: the guitar amp modeling forum I am speaking of is not located on UG. sorry for confusion.
I don't understand.. what do you mean by native instruments? Like bongos and stuff?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
The way some of these people live on their computers you'd think they would love something like guitar rig...there is a upload/download area on native-instruments.com but I thought UG would be a great place to brag and inquire about stuff like that...
Quote by larrytheguitar
I don't understand.. what do you mean by native instruments? Like bongos and stuff?

No, I believe he means the company named "Native instruments".
Quote by larrytheguitar

You have to be kidding me.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
In response to Chuckles....I respect that guys opinion and I realize that there are great free VST's, but Guitar Rig (the entire software!) can run as a VST or a Stand-alone. As far as sound, I will admit if you don't have discriminating ears you can end up with a pretty digital sound, but if you take 5 minutes to tweak, adjut the mic settings, some EQ as well as the components and effects you can end up with some SICK tones. However, if you're lazy....here is a link to someone playing through some of the presets, which are conveniently named (e.g. Little Jimi's Wing and Black Angus Lead).

Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_91GiwW_Wc
Guitar Rig 3 just suck in comparision to the free stuff, but Guitar Rig 4 is actually up to today's standards in amp modelling.

LePau, AcmeBarGig, RolandPassion and Nick Crow have great amp sims that are ****ing FREE!!.
That is all great but I was trying to build a thread for people who own or are considering purchasing Guitar Rig. I own Guitar Rig 4 and realy I'm quite pleased with it. Not to say I won't check out the free stuff, free is free.

So to my few and far between fellow owners- have a favorite preset? or have you done something to a preset you'd like to share?
I made my own foot controller, 6 foot buttons and 2 pedals for volume and wah all from an old USB steering wheel. Here's my thread about it. It works great in guitar rig! https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249379
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Guitar Rig is my go-to amp sim. I just load it up and it's easy to get a semi good tone with it's built in impulses. And it's got wah, whammy, and a whole bunch of other midi controllable effects I love to use.

Now if I want to spend awhile and get a really nice tone, I use Revalver, or Solo_C or Nick Crows 7170, and browse though all my impulses. There are still more I still need to try out though.

Overall, I like Guitar Rig's dynamics and feel the best, even if I can't get the best tone. The Gratifier with a Treble Booster as a boost pedal real gets some great dynamics. I'm mainly talking about metal/heavy tones. Tones that replicate mesas and 5150s.

For clean/crunch, Guitar Rig absolutely OWNS. It's just a tad lacking for the high gain tones, but still, as I said, has better dynamics and feels better than I've been able to get with any other amp sim.

My 0.02 dollars.
(cwutidid? Everyone always says "My .02 cents, but that's really two hundredths of a cent, haha. You would say "that my 2 cents.")

Also, I just deleted GR3, and I'm about to try out GR4.
I agree, I love the effects in guitar rig over any of them, and it has some nice cleans and mild fuzzy sounds, I can get some great blues tones from it. For revalver though, its the chug-chuga metal-heavy king.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Guitar Rig 4 is so smooth. I bought the Session model of GR4 and the latency is is very low, sound is better on the Session output (even my itunes sounds better!), and I am going to get a a mic tomorrow so I can start playing and singing at the same time all in one take. I looooove the blues tones and the clean is really unmatched as far as I have seen. I run my AE Ibanez in and get the prettiest acoustic sounds, I feel like I'm in a concert hall. I also wanna really pump up GR4's British and 60's American tone. The "Jimi" presets make you wanna play 1960's rock until your fingers fall off.
I thought this would be a good time to bump this thread. I've seen more and more Guitar Rig 4 threads, with problems and various questions. It would be really awesome if we could get this thread going! Again this is for those who own or are interested in buying Guitar Rig 4.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Guitar Rig is pretty awesome TBH.
Most people just jump on the whole "FREEWAREFREEWARE PAYING SUCKS" bandwagon because some high gain *****s who also goto the Ultimatemetal forums have a preference for the Lepou and the other amp sims, and usually make a point to recommend them to others.

Typical BS along the lines of "Metallica's first 5 albums were good" and "COURTNEY DID IT"

So if anyones curious about Guitar Rig, CHECK IT OUT! It's definitely worth it.
If you're more into High Gain Metal tone, Lepou456, XTAC, and Legion and definitely my goto. And TSEX30 of course.
Guitar rigs 4 is one of the best amp sim programs that I have ever used. The layout is professional and easy to understand. And presets can be downloaded from all over the web. Some say that amplitube is better, but here is my one and only problem with it. IT HAS NO NOISE REDUCTION!
Quote by kcorkcar
Guitar rigs 4 is one of the best amp sim programs that I have ever used. The layout is professional and easy to understand. And presets can be downloaded from all over the web. Some say that amplitube is better, but here is my one and only problem with it. IT HAS NO NOISE REDUCTION!

Do you mean it has no noise gate? Because it does...
Quote by Alex Vik
Do you mean it has no noise gate? Because it does...

No my friend, Noise Reduction . . .

Noise reduction cuts the noise while playing and when not playing
I use both Noise Gate and Noise Reduction
Last edited by kcorkcar at May 22, 2010,
Quote by Wesbanez
I really hate to be a negative nancy... but seriously, anytime anybody asks about VST, its just better to point them to http://www.guitarampmodeling.com.

Do we really need a whole thread dedicated to one single expensive VST?

In a word, yes.

Guitar Rig is becoming more popular by the week, I feel. No one said that you have to come here.

I love Guitar Rig. Everytime I start it up I'm inspired to do something new. No its not free, but good things cost money. Really, it isn't all that expensive anyways. If I wanna sound like Clapton, I can. If I wanna sound like a Brit punk band, I can. If I want a HUGE, spacial, epic-sounding solo, I can do that too. It all sounds awesome. How much money would it take to buy all the gear needed for that? 10 times the cost of Guitar Rig. So to me, it is worth it.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250

I think a lot of people are fairly against guitar rig as there are so many free options.

This.

I can understand why people might use it for free but please don't waste your hard-earned money on this crap. (:
There's tons of places to get free VSTs that sound better.

That topic that was linked is the better idea.

btw. about the noise reduction on it like someone mentioned.
yeah. sucks. barely helps at all or it takes out too much of your tone. I remember when I tried using it, the noise wouldn't go away for a bit after I stopped playing.
All of the tones are really gross and muddy too. You can get some half decent lead tones for high gain but not rhythm unless you want "BUMBUBMBUBBUBM" underneath it.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at May 23, 2010,
Quote by TechnicolorType
This.

I can understand why people might use it for free but please don't waste your hard-earned money on this crap. (:
There's tons of places to get free VSTs that sound better.

That topic that was linked is the better idea.

btw. about the noise reduction on it like someone mentioned.
yeah. sucks. barely helps at all or it takes out too much of your tone. I remember when I tried using it, the noise wouldn't go away for a bit after I stopped playing.
All of the tones are really gross and muddy too. You can get some half decent lead tones for high gain but not rhythm unless you want "BUMBUBMBUBBUBM" underneath it.

Again, this is for Guitar Rig owners and those who might want to actually buy it!! Besides if you are going to use your computer for your guitar/bass/vocals you might as well have a nice interface and with the Guitar Rig 4 packages you get some really nice interface options that sound GREAT. What you do for VST's is your business, but if youre going to spend money on an interface you might as well get some really nice sims as well.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
This is an open thread dude... We're all allowed to post in it. I don't like Guitar Rig - never have - there's way too many great FREE VST's out there - and plug-ins galore that combined give me better results than Guitar Rig. Acmebargig, Lepou, Ronald Passion, Nick Crow, etc., have a slew of super fine heads and complete rigs - add KEFIR (also free) and impulses (which sound better than any of the Guitar Rig cabs) - add some FREE Bootsy plug-ins (and there's hundreds more from all different developers who make em FREE) and you can achieve as good or better Amp Sims. I did buy Amplitube but hardly use it anymore. Glad you like Guitar Rig - I just don't. I won't post in this thread again - not because you only want GR Fanbois, but because I choose not to. That's whats great about a free country.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 23, 2010,
Quote by strangedogs
This is an open thread dude... We're all allowed to post in it. I don't like Guitar Rig - never have - there's way too many great FREE VST's out there - and plug-ins galore that combined give me better results than Guitar Rig. Acmebargig, Lepou, Ronald Passion, Nick Crow, etc., have a slew of super fine heads and complete rigs - add KEFIR (also free) and impulses (which sound better than any of the Guitar Rig cabs) - add some FREE Bootsy plug-ins (and there's hundreds more from all different developers who make em FREE) and you can achieve as good or better Amp Sims. I did buy Amplitube but hardly use it anymore. Glad you like Guitar Rig - I just don't. I won't post in this thread again - not because you only want GR Fanbois, but because I choose not to. That's whats great about a free country.

I respect that. I was just sick of people flaming it for apparently no reason. That being said, I would rather those opposed to to Guitar Rig post in a separate thread...I started this with the intention of helping owners and telling those who are considering what is to like about it. That is all
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Flaming for no reason?
I have a reason.
The program stinks and isn't worth the cash.

If people are interested in buying it then I feel I should help them and steer them in the right direction, that being away from this because they'd be better off with the $0.00 deal that sounds way better so technically my posts fit here quite well.
but how do you really feel -
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I purchased Guitar Rig 4 Kontrol. I thought I would chime in now that I've been playing around with it for a few months. I absolutely love this setup! Since all I want to do is record guitar all I needed was one interface I could hook up to the computer. The interface does have 2 inputs though. I am thinking of buying a cheap bass to play around with and use it in the 2nd input.

I tried both cubase and sonar to record with. I like the look of cubase better but I can not get guitar rig to work inside it properly. I was able to get it to work in sonar relatively easy though. It took me a second to get it just right but now I have it down. I can use the foot pedals and change the sounds inside of sonar. What is even cooler is being able to play the song and then change the effects afterwards....

I did a bunch of research before deciding which guitar amp simulation software to go with. I wanted a cool interface, and in my opinion the Kontrol interface is pretty sweet. I tried the demo and loved it. I played just the presets that came with it and those I found on the internet for the first couple months and then started making some of my own up. The setup seems logical which I think helps when your not a pro (which I am definitely not).

BTW I was just recording my guitar work using the recorder built into Guitar Rig and then just importing it into cubase and it worked just fine. Sounds good. But being able to use it inside of sonar is much better for laying down additional tracks.

Had i not needed/wanted the interface I may have tried another software as well but the incredible quality feel of the Kontrol interface and the good reviews I read of it pushed me in that direction. I can tell you without a doubt I think I made the right choice for me.

If you already have a quality interface for your guitar then maybe there are others to consider but you can't go wrong with it. I've been playing guitar off and on for 20 years, this software will do whatever you want it to with a bit of knowledge of it's abilities.

The software runs completely stable. It has never crashed my machine or slowed anything down. I have no noticeable latency of any sort and running sonar with Guitar Rig at that same time is smooth as can be. I do however have a pretty stout machine, so I can not tell you how it might run on an inferior setup. It has a cpu meter built into it and most times never goes over 15% utilization. I have 8 cores on my intel processor and have never had any problems. My guess is any of the newer processors with 2 or more cores will all run this combination of software just fine.

BTW sound is a subjective matter. So for someone to say the free vst's sound better is just their opinion which amounts to just that...their opinion. In my opinion I've never heard any sounds produced by one of these incredible free vst's that sounds better than something I can make in Guitar Rig. BTW is using these free vst's as easy to use as guitar rig? I doubt it. And the nice layout and ease of use means a lot to me since I have other things to do in my life besides sit down and figure out how to use and combine all these random vst's into a sound I like. And since I'm new to using DAW software changing out all these vst's to go to the next sound seems like a lot of work and not much fun. Maybe there is an easy way around that, which I suspect there must be or not so many people would be so hip to going that route?

Either way using Guitar rig makes it simple to use and play around with hundreds of different sounds....And in reality the software is cheap...

Of course all of this is just my opinion....
I actually have a question with relation to Guitar Rig 4. I recently got it. And I love the sounds, they make my guitar sound incredible. My only problem is that recently I'll be playing for so long with the sound working fine, and suddenly the sound will just cut completely and I'll just be left with the clean, unaffected sound that I get from being plugged straight in without using any programs to alter my guitar's tone. If it matters, I'm running my guitar into a Cakewalk UA-25EX. That's USB based, not firewire.

And also, this might sound stupid, but I'm hearing the term "VST" being tossed around a lot. Would anyone be able to fill me in on what this means? Cheers.
I love guitar rig... but one thing - i can't nail that 'map of the problematique' effect... could you help me?