The forums here have tons of threads on guitar instructional dvd's, but I can't say I've found any pertaining to the bass. Also, just by researching online there are of course an almost never ending resource for learning the guitar from websites that you pay monthly fee's for or monstrous dvd packages. For the bass there really don't seem to be many options though. I don't understand why the bass is so ignored in this department. I understand that the guitar is where the big money's at, but I'd sure pay a handsome price for a bass dvd package that took me from a flat out beginner to being band ready in the shortest amount of time possible which I know is possible because Metal Method is that very program for the guitar. Best way of learning guitar in the history of the universe.

I hate "learning" from YouTube. Don't even mention UG, it's not even worth talking about. I have to spend a huge amount of time trying to what what it is that I want to learn, I have to find other similar videos so that I can cross-reference to make sure that I'm learning the stuff the right way, they're usually missing something or painfully hard to extract the proper information and technique from, and too fast-paced. I could go on and on, it's just not for me. I personally enjoy getting what I pay for and will pay big bucks for something of high quality so that I can progress faster than my cheap counterparts.

I don't like learning from people in real life. I don't like someone teaching me face to face, I don't like driving to lessons, I don't like them coming to me, I just plain don't like it. It's not just that a lot of them suck, I really just don't like other people teaching me stuff in person for some reason.

I'm a total sucker for great instructional dvd's and I know some of you (not too many) out there are just like me.

My question is have any of you learned the bass from a total beginner level this way and they've taken you to a level that you're satisfied with and can now branch out and do your own thing? I'm not looking to fiddle diddle around, I just want to get as good as possible as fast as possible and I know it can be done with the right instruction. Thanks guys.
Last edited by smon2pro at Dec 24, 2009,
Dunno if its a DVD or not, but the rockhouse bass method seems pretty good.

If your into books, Hal Leanord is pretty slick as well.
Quote by Lollage123
Dunno if its a DVD or not, but the rockhouse bass method seems pretty good.

If your into books, Hal Leanord is pretty slick as well.

Bought the Hal Leonard thing and I fricking hated it, but that's because I also would have to learn musical notation from scratch and I have no intention of ever doing that and I hate books, but yes I bought it anyways. I learn best visually by far x10000000!! Music theory is vastly important, yes, but notation, not so much (unless you play jazz or something like that). When do you ever see a bassist in a screamo band or whatever pulling out a piece of sheet music (or any member of almost any band), lol. Hal Leonard is far too conservative for me, but if they listed there stuff in both tabs and notation, then it would be pretty good. To me the most important thing for beginner instructional dvd's to do is to get your technical abilities built as good and fast as possible with some theory mixed in because honestly once I get all the technical stuff, then I can branch out and learn all the theory and whatever else. I just need to be able to play my instrument first and quite well to be able to do all other things.

One more thing with Hal Leonard. They severely lack in technique in my opinion. Even if they did notate in tab, one thing they don't help you do is build your chops very fast. It really seems more to me like a way to get you to read music versus learning to play the actual instrument beyond a beginner level, which is fine but not for me.

I ordered the rock house dvd's and they should be here soon. That's seriously funny that you mentioned precisely the one's I have (or am getting soon). I have a feeling the rock house dvd's are going to be amazing, but I'm still curious if there's some seriously special gem out there that perhaps isn't very well known or is well known but slipped under my radar. Thanks for the help man. Yes I'm an instructional freak. It's only because when I do find the right stuff it progresses me in ways I could never even imagine doing on my own, so it really is one of my biggest interests finding things like that. I hate feeling lost and like I'm not progressing in the proper way (or at all) and take comfort in the structure of incredibly solid instruction that if I feel is good enough I can take as truth.
Last edited by smon2pro at Dec 24, 2009,
learn to read music. buy some books.
learn to read tab. look at some tab
Edit: sorry that wasnt constructive
Quote by Stugg334
I just started writing a metal solo, and so far I have:

*Hit Lead Button On Mesa*
*Spread legs to width of 160cm*
*Perform facial expression akin to that of having a woodpecker chip away at your rectum*
*Practice scales*

My greencaster =)
Last edited by JAM SAXON at Dec 24, 2009,
Billy Sheehan recorded some excellent DVDs, one for the beginner and one for the more seasoned player. I recommend both, actually - they aren't complete compendiums of knowledge but I found them very useful.
...actually, I'm a drinker with a writing problem.
ok man...i hav the same prob,....there is this instructional video u might like....its" learn bass in a day " by dave dixon...it is fairly well availible on the net for free ( try rapidshare),...and its pretty simple to grasp...hope this advice has been helpful...let me knw and best of luck
Ummm....since I don,t want to make a new thread just for one question, I think my question will fit in here:

Bass Guitar for Dummies.

Yay or nay?

EDIT: It's a book btw
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Try Billy Sheehan's two bass DVDs and Stu Hamm's Stu Hamm Bass Guitar Basics. You can also take a look at Dave LaRue's Essential Bass Concepts.
Quote by Rancid Ivy
Ummm....since I don,t want to make a new thread just for one question, I think my question will fit in here:

Bass Guitar for Dummies.

Yay or nay?

EDIT: It's a book btw

i have it, wouldn't recomend it
Last edited by mithrilglove at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by mithrilglove
i have it, wouldn't recomend it

Why not?
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,