Hi all,

I've wanted to play "In Your Atmosphere" by John Mayer for a really long time and I realised that I had to tune the A string to a B, and the D string to an E. I'm afraid I might snap them so I don't want to risk it by trying. I was wondering if any of you have any advice or tips or whatever to help me out and I would be ultimately grateful.

Thanks all!
Stick a capo on the second fret. If the other strings need to be as usual just tune them down a tone each.
Quote by twat
Stick a capo on the second fret. If the other strings need to be as usual just tune them down a tone each.

Thanks man. I tried it before and it works, but.. i guess i'll sound picky for saying this but the sound just isn't as good as it is without the capo.
You can tune your guitar without breaking your strings, it´s not that extreme.
it's extremely safe to tune up a whole step.

i wouldn't really worry about snapping your strings. if they snap, there's probably a sharp point or the strings were just ready to go.

tuning those up gives you an open e-minor. tuning up your g string to g# gives you open E. you will be fine
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Last edited by about at Dec 24, 2009,
If you're honestly that bothered then tune them a half step - to sharps.. leave them for a good 15 minutes, give them a bit of a pull (not too hard obviously) then the other half step, they should be fine, and that's only if you're being really precautionary..

I change up and down steps all the time without worrying - guitars are fairly flexible

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
If you're honestly that bothered then tune them a half step - to sharps.. leave them for a good 15 minutes, give them a bit of a pull (not too hard obviously) then the other half step, they should be fine, and that's only if you're being really precautionary..

I change up and down steps all the time without worrying - guitars are fairly flexible

Unless you strings are a year or two old, you really don't need to take that precaution. Strings can usually go 3 half steps without a problem. It scares the crap out of you when you do it, but they'll survive.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Unless you strings are a year or two old, you really don't need to take that precaution. Strings can usually go 3 half steps without a problem. It scares the crap out of you when you do it, but they'll survive.

Thanks for all the advice - and it worked!! yeah i thought, why be so precautious? so i went for it.. even though it scared the hell out of me but in the end I just had to strap on a pair and do it. 2 half steps up and its still good!