Need some advice... ive been playing off and on for a good 6 years now... have a large collection of guitars and i want to get better because people always poke fun at how many guitars i have and my lack of ability to play them... lol
heres my youtube channel check it out maybe you guys can help me out..
Practice routines, scales and all other advice is overly welcome... and i have noticed im slightly pinky challenged...

http://www.youtube.com/user/italstalital

PS: i cant get the sound and vid sycned in my latest video and it cuts off early (im going to try pulling it off and putting it on again)
What I do is pick a song that is next to impossible for me to play and then I keep playing it and playing it until I get it. I have been known to practice a song for a whole month before I can get it so don't be discouraged. this is the quickest way I found to build up coordination and dexterity.
you are too scare of making errors, and thats the way you learn, and play with youre soul
Practice, take lessons, learn what you want to learn, learn things that will make you better and don't sell all the guitars you don't need.
i typically play 4 hours a day... on average.... no time for lessons though im in school
Have you tried listening to the songs you play while you play it? The fade to black solo had some notes that I think felt off-rhythm.
Also, during the fade to black solo while playing on the 1st string you seemed tense... I'd play it with my thumb over the neck, but to each his own.
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
I took a look at some of your videos and it seems that you need to slow the song down and play to a metronome or use guitar pro to slow the song down. You are off beat a lot but you have the notes. Just take it slowly but make sure it sounds good since that's what matters
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
OK, I listened to the video. A couple of thoughts.

1) Get rid of whatever that distortion is. It sounds ghastly. It's also getting in the way of hearing what you're playing.

2) It sounds like you have no sense of rhythm. The fix to this is to practice with other musicians. A drum machine is a poor substitute, but can work. A metronome is a worse substitute, but better than nothing. You need to work hard on basic rhythm groves and right hand stuff before you get all excited about all that stretchy and fast left hand stuff.

3) Start taking responsibility for your own musicality. Would YOU want to spend your time and money to listen to someone playing like that, with that tone? Probably not. Then don't play like that. Take responsibility for only making music that's worth hearing. That may mean initially playing simpler music that you can play better.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by jdrier21
What I do is pick a song that is next to impossible for me to play and then I keep playing it and playing it until I get it. I have been known to practice a song for a whole month before I can get it so don't be discouraged. this is the quickest way I found to build up coordination and dexterity.

I'd like to know how much of the song you get in a month. It takes me a lot longer usually if the songs are in any way a little challenging

Do you mean it takes you about a month to get the main riffs and shit down...excluding the solo? If you get it all down with the solo in a month then you are well ahead of the game in my opinion
I checked out your page, and to be honest, you've got a ways to go, though your acoustic playing is considerably better than the fade to black and crossroads stuff.

Quote by Even Bigger D
That may mean initially playing simpler music that you can play better.

This is really good advice, and in my opinion one of the main differences between musicians that are in a band, and home musicians. If you are in a band, you must play within your abilities. Why? Well, you have to pull it off on stage, and you have to be able to play it well enough that you will do a good job when you are nervous. So that means easier material, but you've got to get it to the point where you can absolutely nail it. The musician in a band has to be realistic about what he can pull off, whereas the home musician doesn't have that restriction, so the danger is attempting stuff which is unrealistic and winding up half assing it. Well, after a while of pulling off all this easier material flawlessly, the musician in a band can now attempt some more challenging stuff because he now has the foundation to do so.
I'm a home musician myself. Through choice..I'm not at a stage in my life where the band life is right for me. It took me almost 18 years to get to the point where people now say that I'm good - I don't know if I really am - in my mind there is always more work to do. It took that long exactly because of the traps of the home musician that I mentioned above - not building the foundation strong enough before attempting tricky stuff.
So don't do what I did. Just because you are a home musician doesn't mean that you have to practice like one. Get some easier stuff - ACDC, maybe some early Sabbath stuff, and practice the hell out of it until you can get it absolutely rock solid - don't settle for just being able to get through it.
Also, everything everyone said about metronome's, drum machines, etc, etc, is right on the money. Having a solid groove to your playing is absolutely essential.

Quote by Ital_Stal
i typically play 4 hours a day... on average.... no time for lessons though im in school

Wait. So you've got tons of guitars, so money isn't an issue. You play 4 hours a day, so time isn't an issue. Unless there's something else you haven't mentioned, then this sounds a bit like an excuse. Don't sell yourself short. Get your ass to a teacher that can help you get better!

Quote by Ital_Stal
i want to get better because people always poke fun at how many guitars i have and my lack of ability to play them...

Not a good reason, IMO. Don't worry about other people. Do YOU want to get better? You've already taken the biggest step and said "I suck. My playing is not where I want it to be". Without that step, nothing good will come of it. Now the rest is up to you.
Best of luck!
To OP, my advice based on the Fade to Black and Crossroads stuff would be to:

A) Work on your timing. Your solo's slow down and speed up too much, practice them along with the song or with a metronome.

B) Work on your muting. Slow down and really listen to your playing. Use your right and left hands to stop unwanted noise.
Thanks SE, but i don't have money/ time for a teacher... im in uni and have acquired most guitars from trades and such.
1. Your playing would sound better if you mute the strings more efficiently. Your right hand can mute the strings above (lower) the strings you're playing, and the tips of the fingers on your left hand can also mute the strings above those that you are playing, while the outside of your first finger can mute strings also. Seriously, do not tolerate any excess string noise - I recently started taking lessons with a teacher who taught me this and it has completely changed the way I listen too myself playing.

2. Another thing you could do would be to play along to the record when you are doing things like the fade to black solo, or at least listen to the record over and over so that you have the rythm in your head. A metronome or tapping of the foot (or both) could help. After you have done this for a while, you will have the song imprinted on your brain and you will play it perfectly every time.

3. Listen to the pitch you are trying to bend the strings to, and try to emulate that.

4. Practice everything at slow tempos until they are machine-like perfection, then jack up the speed to when you feel comfortable enough.
Last edited by DonLode at Dec 28, 2009,
I've been taking lessons and playing for two years, but what i try to do is to record yourself playing something. Then you go back and look for errors and just try to keep improving. I take lessons once a week and I still get on here every day and look up tabs to learn to play something different. Mostly a different genre of rock thats more metal because i like to play more classic rock. I just try to learn new things on the guitar every single day.
Quote by Ital_Stal

Does not compute....

Watching your Fade to Black...I think you have the chops to play it...but have you ever listened to it? You are playing the notes, but sound nothing like the song. I wish I had your finger dexterity though.

Kudos though for posting...that takes some guts to post something like that.
Last edited by Commodor 64 at Dec 28, 2009,