http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmBN7Dn9MfA&feature=related

at about 5 minutes he starts moving his mouth all around

i was wondering if he may be phrasing with his mouth like doing with his mouth what he wants to come out on the guitar ?

or is this some weird "1 e & a, 2 e & a" type stuff???

Hahaha i try so hard not to make those kind of mouth movements when I play lolz, its like leaning to the left or right playing a racing video game lmao!
Yeah he's just phrasing what he wants to play. Jimi Hendrix did that all the time.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
It may look weird, but it sometimes actually helps, especially if you're using a wah and especially even more if you're using a talkbox.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
i do this all the time. at band practice i sound out all my solo's and my bandmates look at me like i'm clinically insane.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by pitobodies
i do this all the time. at band practice i sound out all my solo's and my bandmates look at me like i'm clinically insane.

Same here. I'm embarrassed to play in front of people because I move my mouth when I get really into playing.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Steve Vai's facial expressions are like a peacock's tail - they serve no purpose other than to let you know how cool he is.
Quote by plucky duck
arnt scandinavians all albino or am i mistaken? apologies if i am

Quote by cocodrilo83
logic is not always right
Quote by Cathrag
Steve Vai's facial expressions are like a peacock's tail - they serve no purpose other than to let you know how cool he is.

Actually in a weird sense they help him feel the mood better and get better phrasing. Try playing a real emotional passage with a straight face and no body movement, it's hard and comes out lifeless.
He really gets into every phrase and makes it his own. He puts so much emotion into it that I doubt he could really play without those crazy expressions. Besides, he's Steve Vai! He can do whatever he wants!