Page 1 of 2
Anyone knows what's the EMG 81 and 85 tone? (Treble/mid/bass) Both SD and DiMarzio offer information about their tone but I cant find EMG's. Thanks
All I can say is go to a guitar center or local guitar store and try out a guitar with the pickups in them.

People have mixed feelings about EMG's, so it will be quite hard to get an opinion that will fit what you're asking.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
All I can say is go to a guitar center or local guitar store and try out a guitar with the pickups in them.

People have mixed feelings about EMG's, so it will be quite hard to get an opinion that will fit what you're asking.
+1

Personally, if you're going active, Seymour Duncan Blackouts is the way to go. EMG's I find make guitars sound the same, where as Blackouts still bring out the tone in the wood.
It's not easy to write tone down.. if you want check out some youtube vids - i know of a few comparisons and see how you like them..

The ultimate check really is to try them out yourself..

HELLO!

EMGs suck.

This is coming from someone who owns a 800eur guitar with duncans in them and a 1500+ custom shop model with EMGs in it. My RR3 blows my Carvin custom away when it comes to tone.

The 18v mod does help tho. I did it to my carvin and it sounds a bit punchier and clearer. Less fizzy sound. Still nowhere near a JB/Jazz or JB/59 combo tho. Even for metal.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
Hold on. I own the EMG 81/85 on my guitar...and they sound too sterile and booring to me. I wanna put D-Activator X's on my next guitar cuz I'm starting to hate active pickups. And I just wanna make a tone comparison between the EMG's and the D-activator X's. That's all

And I'm looking for bassy metal sound(I hate treble pickups) and sustain
Last edited by DethDroogie at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by georgakis187
EMGs suck.

This is coming from someone who owns a 800eur guitar with duncans in them and a 1500+ custom shop model with EMGs in it. My RR3 blows my Carvin custom away when it comes to tone.

The 18v mod does help tho. I did it to my carvin and it sounds a bit punchier and clearer. Less fizzy sound. Still nowhere near a JB/Jazz or JB/59 combo tho. Even for metal.

My RR3 Can't touch my 18v LTD EX's EMGS

It also depends on what your playing through.
/rig
Quote by DethDroogie
Hold on. I own the EMG 81/85 on my guitar...and they sound too sterile and booring to me. I wanna put D-Activator X's on my next guitar cuz I'm starting to hate active pickups. And I just wanna make a tone comparison between the EMG's and the D-activator X's. That's all

Okay. If they sound shit to you, then you can drop a pair of D-Activators. But keep in mind that D-Activators were made to sound like active pickups without the batteries and better cleans. Tone-wise, I haven't been able to try out D-Activators, but I've heard positive things about them.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
It entirely depends on what tone you're going for here. I personally love the sound of EMGs and have never had a guitar without them, even after comparing the 81/85 combo against other pickups (SD blackouts, Dimarzio etc.)

If you could give us an idea of what tone you're looking for (or better yet a particular band) it would be easier to make a recommendation.

But as has already been said, you can't beat going to a shop and trying them out for yourself
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Quote by mespinos
My RR3 Can't touch my 18v LTD EX's EMGS

It also depends on what your playing through.

Well your Ex does have the 81/60 so at least you can get some cleans out of it. The 85 is the most crap pickup i ve ever played period. The 81 is nice for riffing etc, but not much more....HATE the solo tone you get from it.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
Yeah I'm looking for a bassy warm metal tone with lots of sustain but definitely a CERAMIC magnet. And passive pickups please
I d say JB/Jazz cause thats never failed me....JB has the tight riffing you may need, and the Jazz is the bassy yet articulate tone.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
Quote by georgakis187
I d say JB/Jazz cause thats never failed me....JB has the tight riffing you may need, and the Jazz is the bassy yet articulate tone.

Yeah I said that first too. I loved the Dave Mustaine LiveWires but both the LiveWires and the JB/Jazz are Alnico 5 or 2. And I don't wanna hear about Alnico or actives.

I think more suitable would be a SD dimebucker or a DiMarzio super distorsion(in the bridge position). But in both cases, I can't find a ceramic low output pickup for the neck position. That's annoying
Quote by DethDroogie
Yeah I said that first too. I loved the Dave Mustaine LiveWires but both the LiveWires and the JB/Jazz are Alnico 5 or 2. And I don't wanna hear about Alnico or actives.

I think more suitable would be a SD dimebucker or a DiMarzio super distorsion. But in both cases, I can't find a ceramic low output pickup for the neck position. That's annoying

Well if you LOVED the livewires and only disliked them after learning they re Alnicos....then ye cant help you there
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
Quote by georgakis187
Well if you LOVED the livewires and only disliked them after learning they re Alnicos....then ye cant help you there

ACTIVE and Alnicos...and the reason why I hate alnicos is because they tend to lose their sound properties in time, unlike ceramics. That's a fact
Quote by DethDroogie
ACTIVE and Alnicos...and the reason why I hate alnicos is because they tend to lose their sound properties in time, unlike ceramics. That's a fact

Thats like saying you wont buy a tube amp (even though you LOVE it), cause the tubes ll go bad in a year or two and you ll have to replace em
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
Pickup magnets will lose a small bit of output over time, but you'd have to wait 30-40 years to notice anything at all. Your premise is absurd. Get the livewires.
Quote by Roc8995
Pickup magnets will lose a small bit of output over time, but you'd have to wait 30-40 years to notice anything at all. Your premise is absurd. Get the livewires.

+ OVER 9000!!!

HELLO!

duncan distortion duncan distortion duncan distortion
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Get some EMg's.... I love mine.

My next axe is gonna have SD blackoutz. I wanna see if they live up to the hype.

I got a beater ltd with a floyd i wanna put jb/59 in.

If i were you TS and didn't want actives i would get a jb/59 sounds soo good.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by Roc8995

You're right...I may be exaggerating but an active pickup is not an option. I want to install a push/pull coil splitter and you can't split an active pickup. Guess I'll go with the D activator x's
Quote by DethDroogie
You're right...I may be exaggerating but an active pickup is not an option. I want to install a push/pull coil splitter and you can't split an active pickup. Guess I'll go with the D activator x's

You can split emg 89s and 81xs as far as I know.
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
You can split emg 89s and 81xs as far as I know.

Dude...I already said I hate EMGs
Quote by DethDroogie

You said you didn't like the 81 and 85, not all EMGs sound the same, your posts are confusing as you were asking what EMGs sounded like in your first post. What amp are you using? If the amp isn't good then you'll never get a thick metal sound.
yea i would probably say most EMGs sound the same. the only difference would probably be the EQ balance of the pickup. they will still sound like EMGs, sterile, undynamic and uninspiring.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
yea i would probably say most EMGs sound the same. the only difference would probably be the EQ balance of the pickup. they will still sound like EMGs, sterile, undynamic and uninspiring.

He said the problem with his EMGs was that they had to much treble so I thought the eq balance would make an improvement.
Quote by pmeg568c

+1

Let's make it less confusing: I am using a VOX VT30 and a Roland cube 30x. Don't worry it's not because of the amp, my guitar has been plugged through a Peavey JSX 212(1600 euros) and still the same pickup sterile and crappy tone. It's a high end guitar btw.
I just want some passive splittable pickups, high output, bassy sound and ceramic-magnet equipped which are also good for cleans. Looks like the DiMarzio D activator x's grant all those features I want.
Quote by DethDroogie
+1

Let's make it less confusing: I am using a VOX VT30 and a Roland cube 30x. Don't worry it's not because of the amp, my guitar has been plugged through a Peavey JSX 212(1600 euros) and still the same pickup sterile and crappy tone. It's a high end guitar btw.
I just want some passive splittable pickups, high output, bassy sound and ceramic-magnet equipped which are also good for cleans. Looks like the DiMarzio D activator x's grant all those features I want.

I would choose a dimarzio X2N for the bridge and then something more tame for the neck if only because it could be used for clean sounds.
Quote by DethDroogie

that wasnt supporting buying EMGs merely saying that active pickups could be split
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by superfish1232
that wasnt supporting buying EMGs merely saying that active pickups could be split

I am not supporting any brand you get it? It's just my opinion(and many others) that the EMG's sound sterile and so damn boring. This has nothing to do with the inability of active pickups to coil split. What kind of reply was that anyway?

@George: Thanks, but the X2N has all the tone charts balanced. I am looking for a bassy sound-like 8 or 9. But i'm going to orded my next guitar probably in the summer of the next year. Till then, I want every small detail to be perfect So I still have time to research
Quote by DethDroogie
George: Thanks, but the X2N has all the tone charts balanced. I am looking for a bassy sound-like 8 or 9. But i'm going to orded my next guitar probably in the summer of the next year. Till then, I want every small detail to be perfect So I still have time to research

It'll still sound the same going through those amps.
Quote by DethDroogie
+1

See you know what you don't like cause you tried it. Go try/find some guitars in the shops that have different pickups. the one you like buy.

Also search this stuff out on youtube. It's a flavor so it's not really something you can pinpoint with specs and ceramic magnets. Listen to your ears.

Also that vox amp isn't doing actives any favors.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
I want you guys to know that I made my choice. A SuperDistorsion in the bridge and a Bluesbucker in the neck. It's a weird combination but splitted it will make infinite sound options
Quote by DethDroogie
I want you guys to know that I made my choice. A SuperDistorsion in the bridge and a Bluesbucker in the neck. It's a weird combination but splitted it will make infinite sound options

You re not even going to hear those pickups' characteristics OR hardly hear the coil splitting difference come out on those amps but whatevah... gratz on the decision.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
Quote by ethan_hanus
Barenuckle Warpig

+1000

Also, new p/ups + mediocre amps. Will not do the pickups any justice at all.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by ethan_hanus
Barenuckle Warpig

No way...that pup looks like it passed 5 world wars
Page 1 of 2