Page 1 of 2
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg
4,967 IQ
Hey, right now my "band" is trying to figure out who's going to play what instrument, and the only one of us who has a good voice is our drummer. Would there be any problems down the road with having a singing drummer?
ext1jdh
Rather Boring Guy
286 IQ
A couple bands have had singing drummers. Look at Scrantonicity for example.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
AdamDK
Meh.
2,296 IQ
I've heard it's easier to sing standing up, something related to like air intake or some shizzle like that, but the drummer from Atreyu sings parts and he does fine, although never quite as good as they are on the album.

Just have a few practices with the drummer singing and see what it's like.
Amitio
Fuzz!!!1!
226 IQ
If he can sing and play well, no reason why he shouldnt sing.
pwrmax
Registered ... something
2,414 IQ
My band's drummer does backing vocals and he's alright, has a nice gooseneck mic.
Gulli05
Symphonic Metal Guitarist
1,055 IQ
I'm gonna point out two of my favorite drummers since this is being mentioned.

Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater. He sings and does all kind of crazy progressive drum beats at the same time.

Arien van Wessenbeek of Epica. He is doing most of the grunts and spoken word sections on the new Epica album and he does them amazingly well live!!!

I don't think this is a problem as long as the drummer can handle it.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Heylo12
Cant think cleverly now
90 IQ
I find it harder... but im not good at singing or drumming lol. you have the best voice standing, but it doesnt really hurt it allot sitting (air intake). just look at The Band.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Calvero
Mr.Mister
1,031 IQ
The only problem with the drummer being the singer is that it's a lot harder for him to interact with the audience and be a frontman as is usually expected from the lead singer. Drummer backing vocalists rule though

Roger Taylor FTW
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Joe4/4/1992
246 IQ
my bands drummer does vocals/backing vocals
if he can sing and play well enough then there really shouldn't be a problem
it might be good to have another vocalist as well so you have a kind of 'co-lead vocalist' thing going on so one guy has the other guys back and vice versa
if it works then theres no real problem, i mean look at Don Henley

edit: i agree with the guy above me ^^, it is harder to interact with the crowd when you're a drummer so i suppose that might be a factor, as well as the fact some sound guys look at you very oddly when you go "oh by the way can we get a mic for our drummer as well?" haha
Last edited by Joe4/4/1992 at Dec 24, 2009,
zachsquatch68
151 IQ
look at KISS with the song Black Diamond..Eric Singer is singing and does a pretty good job
bladedguitar66
The Good Catches Up
525 IQ
Should work just fine. Phil Collins sings, and he's the drummer.
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Classicrock!!
132 IQ
Atreyu does that watch the video for Becoming The Bull it shows him singing most of the parts
Zimwibwe
231 IQ
Anybody remember Jellyfish, the drummer played drums standing and he sang the lead vocals. Check out their videos on youtube they're quite good.
JBizzle Da Truf
goin' 2 kollege
210 IQ
John Stamos did it in an episode of Full House. Did a damn fine job too
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Kevy Absolution
Going to Neverender in KC
1,669 IQ
It's just as effective as playing guitar and singing. If it sounds good, do it.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
chokmool
300 IQ
Our drummer sings quite a bit, lead and back-up. He says that the biggest problem is running out of breath, at least with us. He plays with another band, different kind of music, and it isn't as difficult for him. When his face gets red, and the vein in his forehead pops out, we know we're at the right tempo.

We are guilty of drummer abuse, but he likes it.
Highwaytohell
Motorhead'll do ur mum
3,347 IQ
The guy from Night Ranger and the drummer from journey do a lot of singing- its not unethical and should be encouraged.
pitobodies
496 IQ
I'm the drummer/main singer in an experimental metal band, and I have no problem drumming complex rhythms and singing, growling, or shrieking at the same. As long as they can play the part and sing while they do, and neither one suffers significantly, then there's no problem. I've also never had a problem with getting enough air, even for growls.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
chokmool
300 IQ
Quote by pitobodies
I've also never had a problem with getting enough air, even for growls.

Our guy is 54, and it still takes a while to wear him down, so I guess I can cut him some slack.
metalheadblues
Tab Contributor
583 IQ
Quote by bladedguitar66
Should work just fine. Phil Collins sings, and he's the drummer.

so does don henley of the eagles
McBaino
132 IQ
look at the guy from Atreyu. Or look at Ringo Starr from The Beatles. or The Drummer from The Eagles. They are all good singers and drummers
pwrmax
Registered ... something
2,414 IQ
Quote by McBaino
look at the guy from Atreyu. Or look at Ringo Starr from The Beatles. or The Drummer from The Eagles. They are all good singers and drummers

bassdrum
UG Addict
821 IQ
My drummer sings and screams, and he does just fine.
SilentHeaven109
UG's Yahtzee
266 IQ
The only problem you may have with this setup is that the band will not have a "frontman," someone to talk to the crowd and put on a show. If his voice is truly good enough and he wouldn't mind, it may be better for the band for him to just sing. Another decent drummer is easier to find than a decent singer.

Other than that, it would probably be fine for him to do both, just make sure he can actually do both at the same time to a good standard.
Wondergaurd
Thunderfingers...
565 IQ
Didn't the Drummer from Grand Funk the Vocalist?

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsIrKjSM6Y
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
slaptasticdave
UG's honest Abe
1,335 IQ
I'd advise against a drummer full time lead singer. It's doable, but its definitely harder connect with the audience from the behind the set. Decide what he's more valuable as. If he's a better singer than drummer than get a new drummer and have the current guy be the frontman. If he's more valuable as a drummer than have him do backing vocals and find a real strong full time frontman.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Declan87
Bainne
690 IQ
Quote by pwrmax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbpB_d2uWJA faultless singing!

The main problem with having a singing drummer, for me, is that its hard for them to interact with the crowd. I think that the way Ringo did it was perfect. He kept all his drums either low down or out of the way, had a high throne, and was usually on a raised platform. This allowed him to see the crowd and to be visible. He was also very energetic and expressive.
This all makes for a better frontman/drummer, IMO. Matt Helders from the Arctic Monkeys is a similar one I believe.

Another solution would be for another member of the band to act as frontman, introduce songs, talk etc. but doesn't actually sing the songs. I can picture a band who did this but just can't think of who it was. Maybe Alice in Chains?
Samzawadi
248 IQ
I'd recommend doing a few shows with them (if you haven't already). Use these to gauge whether they can sing/play well enough in a live situation, whether the audience can engage with him, and whether anyone else in the band can fill the gaps in terms of 'frontmanship'.

People mentioning big bands - Phil Collins sang backing vocals with Genesis for years before he became their main singer, and Dave Grohl was famous for his work with Nirvana where he didn't sing lead. In other words, by the time they started fronting bands from behind the drums, they had a big audience who were keen to come to live shows, and they were building fans mostly from recordings of their songs. It's important to be sure that your singer/drummer can engage with an audience enough to interest people...because, as a small band, your live shows are utterly critical to gaining support.
editthesadparts
667 IQ
Death From Above 1973
496 IQ
I guess the only problem with this idea is that the singer won't be the frontman, which is traditional. But that doesn't mean there won't be a frontman. A guitarist or bassist could be the frontman, if you have a mic for backing vox. That's how my band does it. The other thing that you could do is write songs that only have guitar or bass intros, not drum intros. Then the drummer could get up from behind the kit, do his frontman thing and kick the crowd into a frenzy, and then sprint back behind the kit while the guitar-only intro plays.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
take_it_t
Music Addict
818 IQ
Work with what you got, nothing's ever written in stone.
ThrashIsWin
I hate my name...
103 IQ
Someone already mentioned Mike Portnoy, but seriously. He sings half of Constant Motion and does some pretty crazy beats at the same time. The band doesn't suffer at all (Maybe because not many people like LaBrie anyway but y'know).
Quote by eazy-c

I don't think I've ever laughed so much in the Pit.