So Ive been messing around with this chord here

----0------
----3------
----2------
----------
----------

What chord is this? Im getting mixed answers searching online. I was also wondering what key/ other chords (bar chords if possible) can go along with this. My theory is dismal and Ive come up with a nice picking pattern for this and a couple other open chords but want to add chorus with barre chords. any help would be great! Happy Hollidays
it could be any one of these. all mean the same thing, just different ways to say it
1) A sus4
2) A 5add11
3) D sus2/A
4) E 11/A
5) A add11
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Dec 24, 2009,
Reverse Chord Lookup

http://www.gootar.com/guitar/ *edit* this site is a bit flaky.

Says it's a Dsus2
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Last edited by ext1jdh at Dec 24, 2009,
^it would be a Dsus2, but you would need to to add the A bass note. so it would be D sus2/A. again there are tons of different ways to say the same thing
thank you guys very much - so maybe you can help me out with what kind of barre chords are in that key or what kkey thats in...im guessing key of D?
Quote by Rydin1
thank you guys very much - so maybe you can help me out with what kind of barre chords are in that key or what kkey thats in...im guessing key of D?

well, you look at the notes in the chords you are using and figure out what the key is. with one chord like that it's kinda hard to tell, it could be in multiple keys. once you have a progression going then you can come up with a definitive answer.

as for that chord, if you made it into

it would be Dsus2 since it has D, E, and A. but the way you have it the simplest name would be Asus4 or possibly Dsus2/A
One chord is never in a key... You need at least two chords to determine a key.

Anyway, assuming you're in the key of D (major or minor, you choose, since because of the suspension there is no major/minor tonality).

Lets say we use D major.

D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D
Stacking thirds we get the following chords:
D-F#-A = Dmaj (in which's place you're using Dsus2)
E-G-B = Em
F#-A-C# = F#m
G-B-D = Gmaj
A-C#-E = Amaj
B-D-F# = Bm
C#-E-G = C#dim

In D minor, we would get:
D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C-D
D-F-A = Dm (again, you're using sus2)
E-G-Bb = Edim
F-A-C = Fmaj
G-Bb-D = Gm
A-C-E = Am
Bb-D-F = Bbmaj
C-E-G = Cmaj

So, that's all the chords you can use basically. Of course you can use any chord you like if you like the sound, and you can alter them/extend them to 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, whatever you like! If you need anymore help, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by KoenDercksen at Dec 24, 2009,
Tell us what other chords you are already using and what chord/note your song feels like it wants to end on, and we should be able to work out the key (or a couple of possible keys) and give you some ideas on how to find other chords that would fit.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!
ok ill try to tab it out as best I can, this is what I have so far.

this may not be 100% right going from memory and this is my first ever tab, haha

-----------0------------------------------------------------------------------
----3---3---3---3--------2----------2--------------------------------------
---2-2---------2--------0-------- -0--0h2--------x4----------------------
--0---------------- 0h3-------0h2---------0h3----------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--0-0-0h2-2-2----0----0----0---0------0---repeat some times------
--3-3-3----3-3----3----3----3---3------3----------------------------------------------
--2-2-2----2-2----2----2----2---0h2---2----------------------------------------------------
--0-0-0----0-0----0h3-3----3---3------3----------------------------------------------------
In the first section, are you using the C# on the B string purposfully?
In my total personal opinion, i think it sounds nicer with the D right throught that section.

It depends what kind of a sound you are aiming for and how you emphasise the notes etc...

At the hammer on to the F i think my ear is looking for Fmaj as i think this piece is going to imply D minor. The C# over F makes an augmented 5th, which is less consonant here than the D would be.

My advice would be to look at the chords available in D minor-

Dm Dm7
F Fmaj7
Gm Gm7
Am Am7
Bbmaj7
C or C7
yeahj i made mistake it is the d note throuout...ty very much for advice
Quote by KoenDercksen
One chord is never in a key... You need at least two chords to determine a key.

Wouldn't a diminished chord technically be in one key (or only diatonic to one key), so couldn't you use it to define a key?
Quote by Rydin1
ok ill try to tab it out as best I can, this is what I have so far.

this may not be 100% right going from memory and this is my first ever tab, haha

-----------0------------------------------------------------------------------
----3---3---3---3--------2----------2--------------------------------------
---2-2---------2--------0-------- -0--0h2--------x4----------------------
--0---------------- 0h3-------0h2---------0h3----------------------------

--0-0-0h2-2-2----0----0----0---0------0---repeat some times------
--3-3-3----3-3----3----3----3---3------3----------------------------------------------
--2-2-2----2-2----2----2----2---0h2---2----------------------------------------------------
--0-0-0----0-0----0h3-3----3---3------3----------------------------------------------------

Good stuff there - I see a D sus2 and A7sus 4 to A7, nice acoustic line. I like your last chord, its used in Led Zeppelins Ten Years Gone, and has a nice haunting sound to it. Id suggest F#m7 is good, and for a nice ear candy, use a C major it would function as a bVII which isnt in the key but it sort of goes with most melodies in D major, with just a little tension that quickly can clean up.

(Em7 is also a good chord from the A7 sus 4)
i made another mistake i noticed

----0---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----3---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----0---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----0h2---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----3---------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the last chord... i like the F#m7, i will incorporate that, and with this correction, you can you I already have a Cmaj in there (kind of)
Quote by 12345abcd3
Wouldn't a diminished chord technically be in one key (or only diatonic to one key), so couldn't you use it to define a key?

No. Its in atleast two keys. A major key and its relative minor. And all diminished chords come out of four harmonic minor scales anyways, so if you count harmonic minor chords as diatonic in the minor, then there are 5 keys for each diminished chord, and thats not even counting secondary leading tones and passing chords..
Strictly diatonically, you can so totally have a key with one chord. That one chord is the key.
i don't know why i feel so dry