I've decided I'd like to start recording my playing. I did some research and found that Shure SM-57 mics are the way to go for amp recording supposedly. I wasn't sure if I needed a mixer or a box unit such as a M-audio fast track. I'm not sure what is the best suggestion. Anyways I'm mainly looking just to mic my amp and record it, what are your suggestions for gear? Cheapest/yet best value.
a 57 and a fast track will be decent to get you started. you wont need a mixer. all your mixing is done in your comp.

a little SM-57 clarification... it's a great place to start. yes it's used a lot in studios, but TONS of engineers prefer to use an MD421 or even something like an e609 (or something more creative). SM-57's aren't the "way to go", but since they're probably the cheapest amp mic that's actually used, they get tons of extra credit from home recordists.
What Sandy Said

Also, get a box like a Fast Track. You'll need a way other than the mic jack on your PC to get your audio. I suggest the M-Audio Fast Track MKIIs since they come boxed with Pro Tools and its got some sweet effects you can use with it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by sandyman323
a 57 and a fast track will be decent to get you started. you wont need a mixer. all your mixing is done in your comp.

a little SM-57 clarification... it's a great place to start. yes it's used a lot in studios, but TONS of engineers prefer to use an MD421 or even something like an e609 (or something more creative). SM-57's aren't the "way to go", but since they're probably the cheapest amp mic that's actually used, they get tons of extra credit from home recordists.

word but if you have epic gear, the sm57 is perfect

esp if you cabs that have v30s in em
Quote by CatharsisStudio
word but if you have epic gear, the sm57 is perfect

esp if you cabs that have v30s in em

This is true, But i like to use a 421 and a 57 together . Thats the best pair ive ever used.
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ 57 classic plus & burstbucker pro
Gibson SG Limited Edition, Crescent Moon Inlays
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Egnater 4x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s