Just thought I'd toss some pictures up for you guys to check out as I snapped a few this morning. My grandfather built this Dobro along with three others before he died a few years ago. He was an amazing carpenter and playing bluegrass guitar and dobro was his hobby. I have one and my dad, grandmother, and uncle each have one of the others, all different wood types and colors but similar designs. He brought this one to the local high end guitar shop to get an idea of their value for insurance purposes and they offered him $3,000 on the spot for it. He gave it to me instead. I only hope I have time to learn how to play it in the future. Forgive the dust (gotta do a wipedown).

looks purty :P

very nice craftsmanship
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
Quite nice. A dobro is actually made by Dobro, this is a resonator. Still very nice.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Quote by ext1jdh
Quite nice. A dobro is actually made by Dobro, this is a resonator. Still very nice.

Ah, he always called it a dobro so that's how I've always known them (I'm sure he owned many Dobros). I guess it's like Kleenex/tissue.

Anyways, you learn something new every day.
Dude that's awsome, he made that wow. I can't even discribe how impressed I am... just wow.

I've never given a stack of any kind on this forum but...

thats just epic.
Very nice, very very nice. If I were you, I'd start learning to play Dobro (and yes, I know about the whole dobro/resonator name thing. Most people still call it a dobro.). did your grandfather only build dobros, or did he build other things (other instruments)?
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by clayonfire
Very nice, very very nice. If I were you, I'd start learning to play Dobro (and yes, I know about the whole dobro/resonator name thing. Most people still call it a dobro.). did your grandfather only build dobros, or did he build other things (other instruments)?

Thank you. He just built the four dobros to my knowledge. He fixed up other guitars and stuff like my 1947 J45 but instruments and music were just a hobby for him. He was an amazing carpenter. He did build our house when I was in fifth grade, though, so I guess you would count that.