Hello all, at first Christmas greetings! I need some suggestions. I have been playing with a very cheap DigiTech RP80 multi-effects pedal for 2years. Now I am willing to move towards a new effects setup/unit.

I may buy a Boss GT-10 multi-effects board straight. But again, my instructor suggested me a basic pedalboard setup which shall contain Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, OD-3 Overdrive, DD-7 Digital Delay, NS-2 Noise Suppressor and Dunlop Crybaby 95Q Wah.

Which one do you think would be better judging the effects and ease of use? I have few issues in my mind:

With the GT-10, I can create more than one distortion tone, one or two for heavy/light riffs, one or two for soloing. I can also easily switch between the effects. And I can create a good clean tone for me and I can anytime switch between clean and distortion.

In case of the pedalboard, I can have just one distortion tone at a time with the MT-2. I cannot use different tones for riffing and soloing. Switching effects seems very ifficult. And with the pedalboard how can I get a good clean tone? Just switching off the pedals does not likely to give me a good clean coz the clean channel of my amp is very nasty, since I am using a local made practice amp.

Lastly, I have the effects also in my mind. Which one would give me better effects?

Please give me some ideas. Thanks in advanced.
What amp are you using. What is your budget. What do you play and what is your style?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Simple stompboxes will sound a whoooole lot better than a multi-effect.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Its just an india-made Stranger amp for home practice. my budget is around 500 us dollar and I mostly try 80s metal/hard rock and some satriani stuff. I need both rhythm and solo tone seperately. So how can one distortion pedal serve for both solo and rhythm/riff? Since one tone can be assigned at a time. But with the multi-effects unit I can easily switch patches for ifferent rhythm and soloing tone and also to clean or acoustic tone. Any idea?
Quote by metalter
Its just an india-made Stranger amp for home practice. my budget is around 500 us dollar and I mostly try 80s metal/hard rock and some satriani stuff. I need both rhythm and solo tone seperately. So how can one distortion pedal serve for both solo and rhythm/riff? Since one tone can be assigned at a time. But with the multi-effects unit I can easily switch patches for ifferent rhythm and soloing tone and also to clean or acoustic tone. Any idea?

If you get the satchurator (Joe Satriani's signature distortion) it has a distortion mode for rhythm then a boost for solos. However you would be far better off buying a better amp since most amps have two channels.
With $500 dollars to burn why not just get a new amp? Even the best tones be they from multifx or single pedals can get diluted by a poor amp.
no sig for joo
Itll all come down to preference, but most people would prefer you not to use the Metalzone.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
To get a GT-10 all programed the way you want it might be a pain. My former bassist, bought a bass multi effects pedal made by boss, and it was hell to program, he read the manual even I looked at the manual and it was still rediculoulsy hard to figure out... I dont know if he has figured it out yet... I had an easyer time programming my G major with my Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro midi controller... anyways pedals are easy and straight forward and probably sound better... depending on which ones you get.

Also note worthy: pedals only help so much when trying to cover up the sound of a shitty amp... basically its like wrapping a peice of shit in wrapping paper... its still a piece of shit...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Dec 24, 2009,