I'm supossed to be doing a project on what chord makes you happy, sad, or bring memories.

So, between these chords can you tell me which chord affects your mood and why please? I can't get out to test the chords on people I know because I'm snowed in here =P

C Maj
C Min
D Maj
D Min
E Maj
E Min
F Maj
F Min
G Maj
G Min
A Maj
A Min

So can you guys just tell me what mood each chord brings to you? I can do so much with my project from there.
Aspiring guitarist, looking for all of the info I can get.
Really normal major and minor chords have approximately the same feeling between the actual chords. Some do have a different taste, such as an Open E Major, which I feel is a very dominant commanding chord. A Dmaj on the other hand sounds much lighter and airy. An Emin always sounds good because its uses many open strings and has a very big full feel to it. I do notice youre missing a lot of chords, just hitting the C scale chords, which is cool, but just noting. Many other chords, such as sus chords, augmented, maj7, can spice up youre playing a lot more as well.
I've theorised, philosophised, and discussed this to death.

I know you just need to take a poll, but this might be interesting as well.

Like the above poster said ^^ the "feeling" seems to be the same, but this is not always the case.

Two major chords are only the same on paper (theoretic perspective), but their wavelengths are different.

This is enough to conclude a potential for them reacting differently on emotions, even though they consist of the same intervallic structure.

Sounds are stored in ur memory, and share a link with ur amygdalae.

I believe that sounds are stored far more complex and have a way bigger impact and that music theory alone is superficial when analysing music.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 24, 2009,
My favourite chord (Though not in your list) would be this:

e- x
B- 3
G- 4
D- 2
A- 3
E- x

A C9 chord, just love the sound of that one
Without specific voicings, all the major chords affect me equally, and all the minor chords affect me equally.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^The note on the G string is B, so your chord is Cmaj9, not C9.

Thanks for pointing that out ^.^
My favorite chords are:

G Am E

(not origionally mine)
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
My favorite open position chord is the Amin.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
And I never put my favorite chord lol.
E-0-
B-3-
G-0-
D-4-
A-5-
E-x

I like this chord with a bit of distortion sounds fantastic. I'm not quite sure on what the naming is on it its a form of a D chord though.
I had hoped so, but Sus4 eliminates the 3rd. It includes the third, just not the fifth. I actually made a thread for it if you have any more ideas.
i like Amin, Emin, Dmin
anything minor really
im not a huge fan of Gmaj or Dmaj
they just sound too damn happy
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Quote by Mekchrious
And I never put my favorite chord lol.
E-0-
B-3-
G-0-
D-4-
A-5-
E-x

I like this chord with a bit of distortion sounds fantastic. I'm not quite sure on what the naming is on it its a form of a D chord though.

Its Em9. E sounds like the root, even though D is the lowest note. If played alone, you could call it Em9/D.
This might sound primitive to your responses but I like G major cause it's just that awesome and basic and one of the only one's i can play :P
Set-Up
Squire Special Stratocaster
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
^You should give the user that just posted some useful advice.
Well, minor chords played slowly (such as in Muse's "Hypochondriac Music") can create a kinda depressed feeling in me, and I think that's just because the chord progression is Dm-Am-C-Gm (I think, i can't remember).

However, songs like "Fake Plastic Trees" by radiohead can create an even more intense feeling of sorrow in me more so than said song mentioned above (The chord progression is [Verses]: A-Asus4-Dmaj9/F#-E6-Dsus2-A-Dsus2 Repeat and [Chorus]: Bm11-A-Bm11-A). The chord progression itself is really happy, but for some reason, it can make me feel extremely sad. The song itself is in A Major. Why it creates a feeling of sorrow is beyond me though.

However, songs like Muse's "Invincible" create an immense feeling of happiness, which I think is mainly because the song is in a major key, and generally has a happy theme to it. Pretty simple explanation.

I'm not sure if I answered your question right, but I hope this helps.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Well like the key of Gmaj to me always sounds really happy even with the occasional second minor thrown in. I mean most major keys do, but Gmaj is really big and happy sounding, such as "There she Goes" by Sixpence None the Richer. Like Emaj can sound a lil dark if you change up the chords a bit, and a full emajor chord always sounds really dominant.

One that makes me really sad is Am-Am7-Fmaj7-E7. For some reason 7ths almost sound more dark than minors sometimes.

And on 7ths, another favorite chord of mine is a B7

E-2
B-0
G-2
D-1
A-2
E-x

Sounds amazing and can be used for so much from bluesy stuff to darker acoustic chords or anything, especially when used with Emin and Amin in the key of G.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I've theorised, philosophised, and discussed this to death.

I know you just need to take a poll, but this might be interesting as well.

Like the above poster said ^^ the "feeling" seems to be the same, but this is not always the case.

Two major chords are only the same on paper (theoretic perspective), but their wavelengths are different.

This is enough to conclude a potential for them reacting differently on emotions, even though they consist of the same intervallic structure.

Sounds are stored in ur memory, and share a link with ur amygdalae.

I believe that sounds are stored far more complex and have a way bigger impact and that music theory alone is superficial when analysing music.

Tbh, I'm not really convinced that the difference in frequency within one octave (as that is the most any two chords of the same voicing could differ by) would be enough to change the mood or feel of a chord. And most chords would differ by a lot less (eg, C major and D major)

One reason people may percive a difference in feel is because if they just grab their guitar and play the chords, a lot of open chords will have different voicings, making them feel different.
i personally like add 9 chords.
c add 9
E0
B3
G0
D2
A3
Ex

and F add 9
E3
B1
G2
D3
AX
EX
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
i personally like add 9 chords.
c add 9
E0
B3
G0
D2
A3
Ex

and F add 9
E3
B1
G2
D3
AX
EX

add9's and madd9's are great. I love the dissonance between the 9th and 3rd when they're voiced a semitone apart. And I love the stacked fifth sound of the 1, 5, and 9.