Hi everyone.

I'm going to be turning from Bass to a regular Guitar soon, as I don't find myself truly enjoying my Bass. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on guitars from $650-$850 that would be good for gigging? I was thinking a Strat/Tele or a PRS (I am not very experienced with this company, but my favorite band's guitarist uses them, so I was looking into getting one), I will be playing mostly hard rock / alternative / post-grunge. Also a good $250-$450 amp (Combo solid or tube) would be great to see too, I've been using Fender amps with my bass (bad choice...) but I was thinking Marshall or Peavey (maybe http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc ?) I dunno how fender amps are with guitars either, because my friends swear by them but I'm just a bit weary after their bass amps.

Thanks for any advice you all can offer, I hope you guys have a Merry Christmas / Happy Hanukkah / Happy Kwanza / other holiday I am not remembering hehe
I love Peavey amps. (i play bass and guitar btw) as for guitars, given your styles, a tele wouldnt be bad, and a strat would work. however for your style i would recommend an epi les paul or a moderante schecter. just my opinion though
Gear:
Epiphone Viola Bass
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 150 watt
Line 6 POD Xt Live
Ibanez Ts-9 Tubescreamer
lol kwanza? And don't be afraid of fender guitar amps just because the bass amps suck, their guitar amps are legendary.
I suggest buying an Agile from rondomusic.com leaving yourself with a solid guitar and $500 or more for a sweet amp.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by Batvanvaiych
I love Peavey amps. (i play bass and guitar btw) as for guitars, given your styles, a tele wouldnt be bad, and a strat would work. however for your style i would recommend an epi les paul or a moderante schecter. just my opinion though

I agree, though I'd recommend an Ibanez RGA42FM. I was honestly surprised at how nice it was when I played it - very easy playing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Wait, actually do you know about the tone you want on a guitar yet? If you don't then I'd suggest playing more on a cheaper guitar and amp and wait until you know the tone you want so that you don't buy an expensive guitar just to end up wanting something else. If you do know the tone you want though, you should know what kind of guitar and amp you want. Oh yeah and in my own opinion tube amps destroy solid state, which I'm sure most guitarists would agree.
What kind of bass amp do you have though? I know some Fender bass amp makes great guitar amps, I also know that bass amps have beautiful cleans when you run a guitar through it. I used to run my Strat though a 1994 Trace Elliot 700W hybrid bass amp for cleans and it was just godly. Don't know how well it will handle distortion though, I do know that the Fender Bassman amp has been used as a guitar amp for a while now.

But PRS SE's are amazing guitars, you will not be dissapointed in them. And the Vypre is a nice amp, I perfer the Valveking over it because its easier to work, mod, and takes pedals a hell of alot better, and its full tube instead of hybird moddling.
If you're not looking for a specific tone yet than that Vyper tube would be a good choice because it has a wide range of tones, but will have a more natural tube tone than other modeling amps.

As for a guitar you'll probably want something with A Humbucker and Single coils for a wider variety of sounds. A HSS Strat would be a good choice, or maybe even an Epiphone Les Paul or Esp/Ltd but it all depends on what sound you're going for.

The best idea would definitely be to go to a Guitar store and try out as many as you can to see what feels good and what sounds right to you.
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
Quote by Phla
I really like http://www.rondomusic.com/product2796.html , but I have no idea what type of pickups and stuff I should be looking for, do you guys think this is a good guitar for the types of music I like to play? (alternative, post-grunge, hard rock)

i havent heard much about rondo's high end LP's but i do know that thier 200-400 dollar AL series are incredible for the price...and if you like the black...

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000prestblk.html

dosent seem all that much different from the 3000M, and i honestly like the looks better imo.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
That AL3000m is a great spec that should be around the sort of thing you need. I'd wait and find the right amp before you start thinking about different pickups. You may not need them.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by ethan_hanus
What kind of bass amp do you have though? I know some Fender bass amp makes great guitar amps, I also know that bass amps have beautiful cleans when you run a guitar through it. I used to run my Strat though a 1994 Trace Elliot 700W hybrid bass amp for cleans and it was just godly. Don't know how well it will handle distortion though, I do know that the Fender Bassman amp has been used as a guitar amp for a while now.

But PRS SE's are amazing guitars, you will not be dissapointed in them. And the Vypre is a nice amp, I perfer the Valveking over it because its easier to work, mod, and takes pedals a hell of alot better, and its full tube instead of hybird moddling.

+1

a lot of grunge era guitarists used bass amps
I've heard about the fender bassman amps being used by guitarists but trust me, my amp is not "good" enough to be used with a guitar, I've tried with my friend's guitar and it had a decently clean tone, but I've also fooled around at guitar center on different guitars / amps and I got much better clean / distorted sounds from regular guitar amps.

Also what kind of wattage should be good for gigging? I noticed tube amp wattage is a lot lower than some solid state ones.. are tubes louder or do they just spend more energy to make sound? (I don't exactly know how to phrase this question..)

and when I sell my guitar back to guitar center (I'm returning a bass I got for Christmas.... ) they might just give store credit since it was apparently bought on a credit card, so Agile might be out of the question, in which case PRS would be my next choice.
Quote by Phla
I've heard about the fender bassman amps being used by guitarists but trust me, my amp is not "good" enough to be used with a guitar, I've tried with my friend's guitar and it had a decently clean tone, but I've also fooled around at guitar center on different guitars / amps and I got much better clean / distorted sounds from regular guitar amps.

Also what kind of wattage should be good for gigging? I noticed tube amp wattage is a lot lower than some solid state ones.. are tubes louder or do they just spend more energy to make sound? (I don't exactly know how to phrase this question..)

and when I sell my guitar back to guitar center (I'm returning a bass I got for Christmas.... ) they might just give store credit since it was apparently bought on a credit card, so Agile might be out of the question, in which case PRS would be my next choice.

Tube amps are extremely loud, I would say if your not going to mic up then a minimum of 30 watts is all you need. But the more watts you have the more headroom you'll have. Also, tube amps are considerly more expensive to maintain and buy than solid state, but are easier to get a good distorted tone from them.

Do it. PRS are great guitars.