I call upon your great wisdom!

I am currently a 3rd year BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering student at the University of Manchester. Currently, my plan is to finish the BEng in 2010, do my MSc in the same subject (2011 graduation) OR to switch to an MEng course. Either way, I get out of university June 2011, and after that, I'm looking to go straight into industry to do tasty tasty work

But Emigration isn't going to happen by itself, I'm going to need some information about job prospects/working conditions/etc. in other countries. I'm already going to head back to Manchester soon and start asking my careers service, but I figured with such a big community, UG is bound to have some engineers working in industry or who have worked in industry that I can talk to and seek advice from.

If you feel you have any advice to offer, or know anybody that I can talk to, then please post, or drop me a PM or something.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm specifically interested in Canada. I am looking in all those places, but Canada is where I desperately, desperately want to be. So Canadians, halp!
Last edited by LordBishek at Dec 24, 2009,
I've got a job got you baby
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
You do realize the pit is mainly teenagers?
None the less, you may find someone here.. Good luck!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I've got a job got you baby

Yeah, so have I, your gf pays me to come finish satisfying her because you can't.

Quote by floppypick
You do realize the pit is mainly teenagers?
None the less, you may find someone here.. Good luck!

100,000 people. Of course most of them haven't got a clue about what I want to know, but I'm guessing there must be a couple of engineers on here. Some may be able to help me.

Hey, all you spotty teenagers, any of your mums or dads are engineers, put me in touch, I want a word
Last edited by LordBishek at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by LordBishek
Yeah, so have I, your gf pays me to come finish satisfying her because you can't.

Hey that's my job bitch.
Good luck. I'm still trying to come up with some names for you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by LordBishek

Psssh, so long as I get off I don't particularly care what she does
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

That's what Tiger Woods said about his recent appearences in the news.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

@Don: Oh thanks man
slightly ashamed bump, I'm still looking for leads people

Seriously, if your dad or mum is an engineer working in Canada or the US, or even has anything at all to do with an engineering industry, help a brother out, no?

I already looked at europe, it's aero industry is declining slightly because french and german govt's ae screwing about with EADS and Airbus. the UK is....well, I can get info about the UK from my careers sevice.

But Montreal - apparently the second densest area for Aerospace jobs in the world, with 1 in 95 people having ties to the aerospace sector (or so I've read) (And no, I dunno what the first is)

So please? Anybody?
Montreal has a big aerospace industry. You might wanna check that out. Plus it's the best ****ing city in the world.

edit: I wrote that without reading your post. Now that I have, all I can say is:

Montreal, baby.
Last edited by ultimatedaver at Jan 8, 2010,
Well with an aerospace engineering degree you should also look into going into the auto industry. Even though it's slightly declining it would be a good backup if you don't find anything in aerospace right now.
sigh...
I'm sure your uni has a coop/intern program there. Stuff like this is better to be discussed with your academic advisor. Tell him/her your interest and im sure they can help
Quote by ultimatedaver
Montreal has a big aerospace industry. You might wanna check that out. Plus it's the best ****ing city in the world.

edit: I wrote that without reading your post. Now that I have, all I can say is:

Montreal, baby.

Hell yeah, that was where I was shooting for anyway. I would love Toronto or Ottawa, but I know aerospace is around Montreal, so I expect to find work there, and then go out to one of the other cities if I can later.

Quote by enceps
Well with an aerospace engineering degree you should also look into going into the auto industry. Even though it's slightly declining it would be a good backup if you don't find anything in aerospace right now.

I will, I didn't know anything about Canada's automotive industry though
Quote by LordBishek
Hell yeah, that was where I was shooting for anyway. I would love Toronto or Ottawa, but I know aerospace is around Montreal, so I expect to find work there, and then go out to one of the other cities if I can later.

I will, I didn't know anything about Canada's automotive industry though

GM and Ford.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
ME hires alot of people world wide/ You can work in so many fields. i did an internship at an ocean engineering place last summer really fun. also got offers at energy companies. places in the us are still looking for young engineers while the field is still open
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'm a mechanical engineer in Connecticut. There are lots of nice, big, high-technology companies in the New England area, but a good chunk of them refuse to, or aren't allowed to hire non-citizens because of mildly proprietary military stuff. That, and with the state of employment in the U.S., offering positions to non-citizens doesn't ring well with most of the population.

That said, there are a few places around that would be awesome to work. I have a few friends who work for Boeing in Colorado, and I hear they are fairly open to international employees. I also hear Tesla Motors and Honda North America are pretty awesome. Unfortunately, finding a position in aersospace engineering will be tough because nearly all of the flight, space, and aeronautics-related businesses here build things for the government, and you'll need citizenship for that. Maybe Canada will suit you better.
i honestly have no idea where an aerospace engineer would start in canada. I'm in my first year mech engineering, and it seems i'll be able to fit just about anywhere.. but aerospace?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by LordBishek
I am currently a 3rd year BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering student

Dayum. I know a few people who were in Aerospace Engineering and they got the hell out after one semester. Props. I'm about to start my second semester of computer engineering, and I hear even that might give me a bit of a run for my money. So, you know, kudos for being a genius and all.

I realize this doesn't actually help you at all, but I didn't think you were running out of thread or anything, so yeah.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Jackal58
GM and Ford.

Noted, thanks

I'll look into them next week.

Quote by FuzzyDuck
PM sent

Recieved, replied, many thanks.

Quote by mexican_shred
ME hires alot of people world wide/ You can work in so many fields. i did an internship at an ocean engineering place last summer really fun. also got offers at energy companies. places in the us are still looking for young engineers while the field is still open

I'd love to do a summer internship but I can't unless they pay me a salary, I'm in the UK and I'd need to find a place to stay and apply for a visa.

I'm looking for summer internships here, or MAYBE there's an opportunity to do a year in industry as a sandwich course after this academic year. But that would further increase the time it would take to actually move there permanently, so I'll only do it if I need to. That way, it might be easier to do my masters next year, and then just straight up get a job.

Quote by GC Shred Off
I'm a mechanical engineer in Connecticut. There are lots of nice, big, high-technology companies in the New England area, but a good chunk of them refuse to, or aren't allowed to hire non-citizens because of mildly proprietary military stuff. That, and with the state of employment in the U.S., offering positions to non-citizens doesn't ring well with most of the population.

That said, there are a few places around that would be awesome to work. I have a few friends who work for Boeing in Colorado, and I hear they are fairly open to international employees. I also hear Tesla Motors and Honda North America are pretty awesome. Unfortunately, finding a position in aerospace engineering will be tough because nearly all of the flight, space, and aeronautics-related businesses here build things for the government, and you'll need citizenship for that. Maybe Canada will suit you better.

Boeing still manufacture civil aircraft though, even though general aviation is on a decline. So yeah, I guess maybe Cessna, piper...maybe working there might be a long shot. But Boeing might be realistic, I don't have to work in military projects.

In fact, If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't really want to. I will if I have to and I have applied for graduate programs with defence contractors. But I don't like the idea that I helped create instruments of destruction. Engineering was always a constructive endeavour for me.

Quote by Kivarenn82
i honestly have no idea where an aerospace engineer would start in canada. I'm in my first year mech engineering, and it seems i'll be able to fit just about anywhere.. but aerospace?

Montreal is your focus for Aerospace. Greater Montreal Area is fifth largest in the world in terms of aircraft sales behind US, UK, Germany and France.

Which isn't bad, considering we're talking about a conurbation competing with four of the most powerful and developed nations on earth.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
Dayum. I know a few people who were in Aerospace Engineering and they got the hell out after one semester. Props. I'm about to start my second semester of computer engineering, and I hear even that might give me a bit of a run for my money. So, you know, kudos for being a genius and all.

I realize this doesn't actually help you at all, but I didn't think you were running out of thread or anything, so yeah.

Nothing to do with genius man

I just don't know what else I'd do. I'm not particularly smart or clever, I just am good with numbers. There are many talents in the world, I have one. It's more about hours than intelligence, I think.
Last edited by LordBishek at Jan 9, 2010,
Most engineering internships pay here. What some people do is they get a student visa and do their masters here. Alot of engineering masters programs require a co-op. so they do that too and get paid while they study
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
Most engineering internships pay here. What some people do is they get a student visa and do their masters here. Alot of engineering masters programs require a co-op. so they do that too and get paid while they study

I'd gladly take a student visa and do a masters there...except it's about 12,000 pounds tuition for 2 years at the University of Toronto. Ryerson university haven't put their stuff online that I can see, and Quebec is even more expensive as I understand. That isn't even considering maintenance fees.

Nah, better to do a Masters here in a single year and get it over with. It's only another year and then I can safely emigrate.