Hey I recently sold my peavey valveking halfstack and i have about 550$

For xmas i was gonna try and buy a used tube amp that could pull off bullet for my valentine and i had a look at these amps.

Peavey 5150 combo (found one for 500 on craigslist!!)
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1523772610.html

b-52 at-112 with a ts9
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1516809463.html

Randallrx75d
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/1498084015.html

mesaboogie combo
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/msg/1504631796.html

I would run which ever amp i choose through my Jackson js30rr guitar

Would any of these amps pull off BFMV well? my budget it $550

-Thanks
I would go with the 5150, i think BFMV uses those with mesa recto cabs.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
I know Matt Tuck uses Peavey heads so I'd go with that one.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
i think it would be more constructive to not buy an amp just to sound like a band

you can get pedals for that
well im sure the 5150 can do more than just bullet, im sure it can pull of alternative rock and classic rock
I'd definitely buy the Mesa. Its very versatile, you'll never need another amp, it has ridiculous amounts of gain, its ****ing loud and thats a bloody good price for one. The RoV will pull of Alternative/Classic rock much better than the 5150 as well, especially if its a series 2, as those have the 'pushed' and 'raw' modes as well.

EDIT: Only downside is it takes a lot of tweaking to sound good.
Quote by link no1
i think it would be more constructive to not buy an amp just to sound like a band

you can get pedals for that

It is constructive if the tone of that amp is the tone you are looking for. Pedals can only alter amps to a small extent.
Bullet For My Vallentine uses 5150s quite a bit, but I really dislike the tone of the combos

I'd go for the Mesa, that's a great price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Matt Tuck uses a Peavey 6505 and Paget uses a Mesa Recto both with Recto cabs
go with the peavey
personally i think mesa amps are terrible
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
fix'd

excuse me? mesa amps sound terrible, just because you're a mesa fanboy doesnt mean everybody is.
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Quote by lifesuckstomuch
go with the peavey
personally i think mesa amps are terrible

you must be trolling if you think a rectoverb sounds terrible.

stupid post about .stupid generalization about brands
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
you must be trolling if you think a rectoverb sounds terrible.

stupid post about .stupid generalization about brands

exception that proves the rule much?

l2 be tolerant of people with differing opinions.
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

Theres a difference between opinion and having a huge generalization that all amps from a brand are terrible.

Now another way to phrase it would be, All rectos sound terrible. or i wasnt too keen on teh recto i tried. Not all mesas are terrible. or at least give a reason. not just a rash generalization about a brand, because it doesnt help the TS
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jan 1, 2010,
Matt Tuck uses a 6505, so you should be able to re-create his sound with the 5150
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by mexican_shred
Theres a difference between opinion and having a huge generalization that all amps from a brand are terrible.

Now another way to phrase it would be, All rectos sound terrible. or i wasnt too keen on teh recto i tried. Not all mesas are terrible

its not a sweeeping generalization if i have played most of their models now is it?
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

Quote by lifesuckstomuch
its not a sweeeping generalization if i have played most of their models now is it?

It is without reason. At least give reasons when saying something like that. They at least help the TS or give him something to go by.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
excuse me? mesa amps sound terrible, just because you're a mesa fanboy doesnt mean everybody is.

I'm not a mesa fanboy. I'd never buy a mesa - they don't suit my music styles at all, but I can appreciate the brilliant and beautiful sound that can be produced by a Mk.V/Recto to the point that despite me playing mostly Brit Oriented Classic Rock I've considered buying a Mesa many times!
i told him to go with the peavey and said that i thought mesas were bad. i could've made a wall of text explaining why i dont like them, but then no one would've appreciated, i was just tossing my 2 cents in and leaving, i wasnt planning on getting into a fight with a couple of trolls.
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

Troll? try again.

If you're giving your two cents at least dont stop short on an explanation. You dont know if it would have been appreciated or not.
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jan 1, 2010,
im gonna show you something i had to pull up on another asshole earlier

right now you're acting like a tuff guy

i dont care what you have to say, all you're trying to do is disprove my OPINION by making stupid remarks when all i did was make a recommendation, if he wanted more details he would've asked.
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

Padge uses triple recs... I'd go with the Rectoverb... but that's just me

Edit: Justification (so i don't get flamed too )

1) Usable Cleans. this leads to a more versatile amp.
2) Less hum. Sure, an ISP Decimator will fix the gain hum in the Peavey, but thats another expense and Noise Gates always (regardless of how good they) effect your tone/sustain.
3) The Rectoverb is packing a black shadow, fantastic speaker.

The drawback is: You'll need an EQ/Overdrive to tighten the bass for metalcore. Rectoverb suffers the same loose bass as the rest of rec series. But you'd need an EQ/Overdrive for the Peavey anyway, as I've found it really needs something to focus it to get the best out of it.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by lifesuckstomuch

The same could be said about you. K, so you like Peaveys; please provide helpful information to the TS rather than ranting about it.

Quote by lifesuckstomuch

So your hearing is an absolute virtue now? Okay, so you don't like the Mesa tone. Thought you stated that already, the same way I'm not after the Marshall tone, although I acknowledge the saturation and quality sound coming for their high-end amplifiers. Is my word the be-all, end-all religion for everyone? Don't think so.

Personally, I was going to recommend the 5150 until I saw the Rectoverb. It's quite versatile and scores an A+ on what you're looking for. Ask if he can reconnect the reverb tank for you but it's rather quite easy either way. Unless you've played similar ones to them, I'd try to gain some personal experience with both the 5150 and the Mesa. They will clearly nail the tone you're looking for, but you may hate or appreciate their voicing over the other as they differ quite a bit.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Jan 1, 2010,
Guys, the arguing isn't helpful. I personally like Mesa amps, but this guy doesn't, nor does he have to... get off his case about it and lets get back to helping TS

Personally, I'd recommend the 5150 combo or the Mesa.
For that price, I'd go for the Recto. Offer him all your cash and some gear you can afford to lose, but is still a fair trade, if you don't quite have $700.

Personally, I'm not a big 5150/6505 guy. I'd much rather have a Peavey XXX, Bugera 6262, or Bugera 333XL over them anyday. But if you like them that's all that matters. Ideally I'd go for the Mesa but if you can't then look into the 5150.

EDIT:

Peavey XXX Combo $450
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/1498226483.html

Peavey 5150 212 Combo $425
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1518197921.html

Peavey 6505+ Head $700
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1525419431.html

Bugera 6260 Head $400
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1530208888.html
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jan 1, 2010,