Page 1 of 2
Ok so my grandmother called me last night to consult me on what i was getting for xmas and the conversation goes as follows,

gma: What is this Slayer:world painted blood you want?

Me: It's a metal album, that I would like to have

gma:Well i dont want you lisetning to the devil's music, all the kids that listen to that killing, go and shoot everyone in their schools and it convinces people to kill other people and thats whats wrong with it.

Me: Metal doesn't inspire any of that its just heavier music, that is a little violent and besides, Tom Araya is a devout catholic

gma: Well i dont want you listening to it, Why don't you listen to the Jonas Brothers, that's what you should listen to

Me: First off, the metal community is some very nice people and it's a great genre, and The Jonas Brothers are a disgrace to music, and they have ruined music as it is like rap, and all the thugs in the cities listen to rap not metal, what does that tell you?

gma: That you shouldn't listen to either

Me:I dont listen to rap b/c its horrible, and I just don't understand whats wrong with metal alot of songs have truth and historical accuracy

gma: I dont care, and you better not be playing that stuff with your guitar, b/c nobody will listen to it and you will get no where try to be like the Jonas Brothers

Me: I do w/some of my songs and metal has a very large fanbase and it is very big right now, and nobody likes the jonas brothers except preepy people, they are a disgrace

gma:Stop lying, People dont want to listen to all that depressing music they want happy music

Me: I do, and so do alot of other people...

This continued for a while but thats what i can recall,

anywho has anyone ever expperienced conversations with elders like this?....
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
Sorry.. you thought we cared for a moment there didn't you?

I don't blame her, their new album is pretty bad anyway.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
play her some power metal.

Ask her, "does this sound depressing to you? Will it make someone go Columbine?"
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Way to go!! You're a soldier of metal, and you and only you shall prove that it is the one true music that will unite us all as we pump our fists in rhythm!
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
This story is complete bullshit.

ITT: TS is brutal and cool.

On a side note, Janis Joplin taught my grandmother how to play "Summertime" on the piano. She also gave me a wristband that she got from a Sabbath concert back in 70'.
Quote by oneblackened
play her some power metal.

Ask her, "does this sound depressing to you? Will it make someone go Columbine?"

Something tells me she wouldn't approve of that, either.
ITT: fake conversation with grandmother
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
...don't worry, she will die soon and she will no longer 'bother' you. She's from a generation where this music was non existent, and where music was lighter and more upbeat. Every generation does this.
I'd probly just punch my grandmother in the face through the phone.
meh.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
World Painted Blood is a terrible album. No lies. Your Grandma is wise for refusing to buy you that album.
And there are rap albums miles better than albums slayer have ever produced.
So instead of using this site seeking some kind of solidarity for your moan about how great, misunderstood and repressed metal is, and how shit rap is. Grow up.
Get out. Go join the ranks of 13 year old pseudo metalheads
Quote by maXterbat0r
*Manowar*

Something tells me she wouldn't approve of that, either.

^Well I meant something like Dragonforce.

TBH, that's blindingly nasty.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I had similar conversation the other day, with me playing the part of your grandmother:

(at a bowling alley)
Me: Man, they really need to play better music here.
Guy: Yeah, man they need something like Slayer!
Me: Yeah, exactly, except that's a terrible band.

END CONVERSATION
Quote by JacobTheMe

On a side note, Janis Joplin taught my grandmother how to play "Summertime" on the piano. She also gave me a wristband that she got from a Sabbath concert back in 70'.

If that's real, then that's really cool.
1. Not all rap is horrible.
2. Your conversation with your grandmother seemed too textbook to be real.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
The conversation's hilarious because it's obviously something that TS just made up to try and seem clever and br00talz.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
You kind of sound like a little brat.

Grandmas are awesome. They give you money on your birthday, and invite you over for good homemade food.
Quote by ieatu
If that's real, then that's really cool.

To be more accurate, the wristband is from the California Jam in 74'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Jam

I would post a picture, but I don't get my new camera until tomorrow for Christmas. Its made from leather and has a large emerald gemstone in the center. Its my good luck charm.
Quote by calumcoolio
World Painted Blood is a terrible album. No lies. Your Grandma is wise for refusing to buy you that album.
And there are rap albums miles better than albums slayer have ever produced.
So instead of using this site seeking some kind of solidarity for your moan about how great, misunderstood and repressed metal is, and how shit rap is. Grow up.
Get out. Go join the ranks of 13 year old pseudo metalheads

Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by GeeDee
You kind of sound like a little brat.

Grandmas are awesome. They give you money on your birthday, and invite you over for good homemade food.

My grandmother is a Jehova's Witness and a terrible cook.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by JacobTheMe

Yeah, Im pretty sure this is it.

awesome if that story YOU said is true (I dont think it is but it easily could be )

rap didn't ruin music. Old music is still there and rap can be good too sometimes. And you can't just kill off a type of music, turn off the radio and do some searching for more underground bands

EDIT: my grandma listens to the pussycat dolls, jonas brothers, ricky martin, etc.
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Last edited by Aerokizzombie at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by TheBurningFish
1. Not all rap is horrible.
2. Your conversation with your grandmother seemed too textbook to be real.

It's real, trust me she called me while I was trying to watch Jason Goes to Hell she called me like 5 times in a row b/c i didnt answer, I raise my right hand to whatever u ppl believe in
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
Quote by TheBurningFish
My grandmother is a Jehova's Witness and a terrible cook.

That sucks, man haha
This story is a load of kerfuffle.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
You should probably listen to your gran... Or text her a picture of your penis. Either one is fine really
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by 1avatar328
It's real, trust me she called me while I was trying to watch Jason Goes to Hell she called me like 5 times in a row b/c i didnt answer, I raise my right hand to whatever u ppl believe in

It's not real.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Quote by 1avatar328

It's not real.

Quote by isabiggles
It's not real.

Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members