Poll: Prefer a female or a male voice?
Poll Options
View poll results: Prefer a female or a male voice?
Female voice
28 11%
Male voice
131 53%
No preference
87 35%
Voters: 246.
Page 1 of 2
Ok so today my sister noticed that I apparantly like songs with a male voice better than those with a female voice. My dad however likes songs with a female voice a lot more. Do any of you have a real preference?
Just browse your mp3 player if you're not sure

Poll is coming as soon as I figure out how to
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
I'm not bothered. As long as people can get across the right power and emotion with their voice, their gender is pretty irrelevent.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Female vocals (not including rock and metal). It makes the whole moment more laid-back.
Metal- Male
Anything else- female
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by TheBurningFish
I'm not bothered. As long as people can get across the right power and emotion with their voice, their gender is pretty irrelevent.

This. It just kinda happens that alot of the music I like have male singers fronting them.
It depends..

Ballsy female vocals like Doro get the thumbs up from me but most female vocalists lack the power or range to do anything fancy in my favourite genre.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
It depends what genre in the end but i do like it when groups have mixed vocals
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
Uh, I've never really thought about it, but almost exclusively male, the only female vocalists on my ipod are from the "mainstream" radio music I have on there.
its not that i have a prefence for male vocalists, its just there arnt that many truley good female ones

ive been really into deadlock latley just because the female vocalist is amazingly talented, and it is proper riffage metal with a real female singer...not like evanescence and lacuna coil were the instruments are tame
i love female singers if they fit the music. beth gibbons (of portishead), belinda blair (of my bloody valentine), and allison goldfrapp are all good examples. i wish there were more types like this out there
A lot of the music I listen to has a male singer but I am not against female singers.
I love Sharon den Adel's (Within Temptation) voice.
considering i've only got one female voiced band on my ipod i guess i prefer male.

kinky.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I notice that most "casual" female singers have a similar tone. While male's tones seem to differ more.

So its easier to like male singers for me, but my absolute favorite singers are females such as Karen O and Joni Mitchell.
For me, I prefer female vocals.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I don't have a preference. Actually, I guess it depends on the context. Most of the music I listen to happens to have male vocalists, but that doesn't mean I dislike female singers.
I prefer a male's voice to a females when singing. Their voices are deeper 90% of the time and imo they better fit the types of music I like. There are exceptions though. I do love me some of the Veronicas and Hannah Montana.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Both can be good, depending on the quality of the individual singer. However my prefered genres (rock and metal) seem to be more male dominated.

Mixed vocals can also be great - I find the parts on Dark Tranquillity's "The Gallary" where it switches/mixes to be awesome.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
I don't really have much preference, but I listen to metal so there isn't a great deal of choice anyway. However, I love bands that have both male and female vocals (i.e. Nightwish)

EDIT: @ lyonk55, I missed Unexpect too
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Last edited by Perfection 101 at Dec 24, 2009,
heavier rock I prefer male voices.
pop and country, female.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Female voices out of classical music just mess with the guitars.
Unless it's Nightwish.
Last edited by Fiire at Dec 24, 2009,
I listen to more hardcore and metal than anything, so it's mostly male dominated in vocals, but that doesn't mean I prefer them.
Get me a good bass oratorio singer, and I'll be stiff as a beam.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Perfection 101
I don't really have much preference, but I listen to metal so there isn't a great deal of choice anyway. However, I love bands that have both male and female vocals (i.e. Nightwish)

EDIT: @ lyonk55, I missed Unexpect too

Apparently they were pretty good, although from what I've heard of them it's rather...bizarre...

They have a female vocalist do they not? (To keep the thread on course)
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
No preference. I might listen to female voices for sexiness and male voices for er... the rest.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
its hard to come across a female metal vocalist I like but I love female vocals all other times

......except rap...women can't rap too well
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Male voice, partly because they're easier to sing along with(because I'm a dude), and partly because they seem to dominate the music I listen to, whatever music that is.
...marmalade is my jam.
I like both but I perfer higher voices then lower ones
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
I mostly listen to bands with male singers, but PJ Harvey is the shit! So the females get my vote on this one.
Most women i've listened to suck, plus more of the metal bands tend to be male dominated, so i'm bound to listen to more male singers, but it can still depend..
I don't really mind, as long as it works. Most of the music I have has a male singer, but a lot of my favorive bands have females.
Males for agressive rock and metal songs, but I perfer females on slower and mellow tunes (as well as love songs )

As you're as long he or she is good, I don't care.
Most rock and metal bands have male vocalists, thus I listen to mostly male vocals, but I don't really like either more than the other. I listen to Luna Mortis, Lacuna Coil, DSO, Arch Enemy, and other stuff that have female singers, especially for backing operatic vocals, but since most metal bands have male singers, that's mostly what I hear..
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Page 1 of 2