I play bass in a death metal band, I'm 6 ft tall, with short hair. Currently, my typical stage presence consists of constant headbanging, legs spread, knees bent, waist+torso bent back, and I keep my bass at just above waist level. I want long hair, but I've tried for it, and I grew an afro (my hair is too damn thick and curly), which I cut after about a year.

Suggestions?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Do whatever, as long as you can keep up with your playing, and not mess up too many times or loose the rythm.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
You don't need to have long hair. Look at Metallica and look at the way Robert Trujillo plays, He is all around the place
youre in a death metal band and youre worried about what your hair looks like? worry about sounding great. if you sound great whos gonna care what you look like.
Shave your head bald and grow some kind of freaky facial hair (small beard braids, etc). Try bald head, full facial beard. Kinda like a photo negative...

Go to the gym, get ripped, and try shirtless. If you can't command metal respect through sheer beauty, then inspire fear.

You are the bassist, the metal god of subsonic thunder. Make the crowd believe that you will ram your bass up their backside and snap it off without losing step with the mosh.

And if all else fails, just make sure your playing is sweet and let it speak for you.
I'd say.. short hair and headbanging always looked kind of.. out of place to me, so i was thinking, maybe do more scenery, and evil stuff? i mean.. just add your own shit to the show..Put on torn up, earlier buried, bloodsoaked clothing, put a blood-pastil( Or real blood), in your mouth and let it run. Do what you can to let people get the feel of the Death Metal, instead of just headbanging. After all music is more than just audio.. if you choose, it can be a whole package of senses.

So.. GO FOR IT.. Do some scenery.. Don't hold a band meeting about it, just add something fun, demonic, evil, something that fits the concept.. Unless of course you're one of those Death Metal bands playing in shorts, with caps and baggy pants, with songs about the importance of voting.. in that case.. **** YOU..
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
well.. performing wise.. just feel the song... cos sometimes.. people tend to over-do something... so be natural... if a metal band... a head bangin and a wide-spread legs are common... the most important thing is not too mess up with ur playing...

do some lil interaction with the audience... and maybe some facial expression... best way to know what is the best for performance.. try playing in front of a mirror or record ur own playing as if u are performing...
Quote by cheapr2keepr
Shave your head bald and grow some kind of freaky facial hair (small beard braids, etc). Try bald head, full facial beard. Kinda like a photo negative...

Go to the gym, get ripped, and try shirtless. If you can't command metal respect through sheer beauty, then inspire fear.

You are the bassist, the metal god of subsonic thunder. Make the crowd believe that you will ram your bass up their backside and snap it off without losing step with the mosh.

And if all else fails, just make sure your playing is sweet and let it speak for you.

that was a ****ing WIN post
If you're worried about how your hair looks, get a grip. I hate to say it, but the damn cartoon, "Metalocalypse", comes to mind. Unless you can play your bass with your D!@k, who's going to notice you anyway. Sorry, I'm not a nice person. At least on the TeeVee, William "Murder Face", isn't the front man. Unless you're supposed to be the front man when you're performing for an audience, just don't do anything to distract too much from Nathan Explosion. For some reason, I see some truth buried in the scripts about Dethklok.
Look at the audience, connect with them.
Call me Batman.
Quote by TheTortured
I play bass in a death metal band, I'm 6 ft tall, with short hair. Currently, my typical stage presence consists of constant headbanging, legs spread, knees bent, waist+torso bent back, and I keep my bass at just above waist level. I want long hair, but I've tried for it, and I grew an afro (my hair is too damn thick and curly), which I cut after about a year.

Suggestions?

Do the same thing with your presence that you (hopefully) do with your music...

express yourself.

Keep in mind that acting a certain way onstage because someone told you that's what you're supposed to do....

isn't exactly expressing yourself.
shred is gaudy music