and i would like to try to keep the bill under 3500 USD, for right now i'm just researching and wanted some thoughts and suggestions

i really like the feel that ibanez has as far as neck profile goes, and pickups arent a problem cuz if i'm getting a high quality guitar the pups should be good, otherwise i can always upgrade to bare knuckles

i was kind of looking at the PRS 513, but i'm not sure what other guitars would be good to look at

i want it to be as versatile as possible, from metal to blues, to jazz to funk, to rock to ska, and if at all possible i would like the build to be all one piece, if not possible, just good build quality

thanks for the thoughts
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Bare Knuckles are ****ing awesome!!!! I don't like the 513 much, but look at PRS!! The Swamp Ash Special is very versatile, as is the CU24. You'd probably like the Wide Thin neck profile. With some slightly higher output pickups I could play literally anything on my PRS with a good amp, from country twang which is almost tele like to Full on metal chug. Only problem with the SAS is that is only comes in a Wide Fat neck. I'd look at a CU24 if I were you - especially one of the 25th anniversary ones out in 2010, as they will hold their value very well and are frankly beautiful!!!
ESP eclipses are nice, they have a model with seymour duncans. You still might want the bareknuckles though. It isn't one piece but then again I don't know any guitars that are, do you mean set neck/neck through?
You might look at having a guitar done by someone like GMW, especially if by "all one piece" you mean a neck through design.

Another really versatile guitar is the EBMM Luke.

For PRS, look at whatever you can get your hands on. My personal favorites are the SAS, CE, EG, Custom 24, Standard 24 and McCarty. Some are discontinued.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I would say custom... or if not a good american strat is pretty much good for everything...
but any PRS is pretty sweet too
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Like most people seem to be saying, if you have that kinda cash you might strongly consider custom.
If not, the 513 is an EXTREMELY versatile guitar.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
well another thing i was considering for custom, is get something high build quality like a prs custom 24 or something, and, like my brother, get the variax electronics put inside, so i have a prs that i can use the magnetic pickups with, but also switch tunings and stuff with the variax part
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
dude...... i think this is the most intense fret board i've ever seen....

http://www.prsguitars.com/25thdragon/index.html
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Ormsby or Vik guitars

They're both members on here and make some sweet stuff.
And Vik gives UG members lower prices.
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
at that kind of money, custom is definitely an option.

if you want to stick to off-the-shelf, check out tyler, tom anderson, suhr, huber, collings, etc. etc. etc. in addition to the bigger brands like PRS. you might prefer them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Metalmaker

That fretboard is horrible
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Ibanez J Custom. Ibanez neck, beautiful construction, and beautiful lookign guitars
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
how about go for a pretty guitar made of nice wood with a nice feel to it and upgrade the pickups and hardware yourself?would definately come shy of $3500 could spend some of the rest of the money on upgrading other parts of your rig
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
i think a Petrucci Ball Family reserve would be a good bet, it can do pretty much every style out there mainly cos dream theater seem to incorperate every style into their music (IMO). PRS do make some quite frankly beautiful guitars that will do everything as well (and the coil tapping is very useful as well on the models that have it) something like the sunburst series perhaps, or the custom 24. you could also go custom, but i dont know much in that line bar the ESP Custom Shop.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
music man John Petrucci BFR Baritone is what i would get
Quote by scott58
Worst? I don't know. My buddies old MG 10 until we turned it into a cup holder and ash tray.
Quote by davor2705
peavey valveking.

1. this isn't an amp thread
2. even if it was, Peavey Valvekings are cheap and need lots of mods to make them sound roughly passable as a good amp - compared to the sort of amp you could get for $3500 its utter sh1te, so your post was not only totally irrelevant it was also stupid.
As the others have mentioned, going custom is a great idea, look up Ran Guitars for custom work.

Otherwise if you are willing to get your hand dirty, getting something from Warmoth can get you a massively tricked out guitar for well under 3.5k.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
1. this isn't an amp thread
2. even if it was, Peavey Valvekings are cheap and need lots of mods to make them sound roughly passable as a good amp - compared to the sort of amp you could get for $3500 its utter sh1te, so your post was not only totally irrelevant it was also stupid.

hahahah Ok.you proved your point!

maybe Line 6 Spider 3?

I would go with a PRS or a Gibson
I'd personally go with a Suhr, Anderson or Tyler.

Quote by Metalmaker
well another thing i was considering for custom, is get something high build quality like a prs custom 24 or something, and, like my brother, get the variax electronics put inside, so i have a prs that i can use the magnetic pickups with, but also switch tunings and stuff with the variax part

The installation would be the biggest pain in the ass ever. And paying someone would be ridiculously expensive.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I would recommend going with a couple guitars, even three, to properly hit those genres right.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by davor2705
hahahah Ok.you proved your point!

maybe Line 6 Spider 3?

I would go with a PRS or a Gibson
Obvious troll.

Ignore him.

I will agree with the others and tell you to do custom. For 3 grand, I would not settle for anything less then what I exactly want.
I would get a nice vintage guitar
Quote by scott58
Worst? I don't know. My buddies old MG 10 until we turned it into a cup holder and ash tray.
In my opinion one guitar could be good at everything, but great at nothing... I honestly agree with acdclandon and would get somethin like a strat and an ibanez.
But if you do want only one guitar, look at musicman and the JP sigs/silhouettes, or a jem/satriani sig from ibanez... Or you could get a nice old les paul, strat or something
And definitely consider custom: Ormsby, ESP, warmoth etc
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Metalmaker

That is amazing !!!!!!!!!!
I would go for the 513 if your in need of alot of different sounds.
And since you think that PRS is intense then you should check my profile pic.
with that much money, definitely go custom.
though i personally think ESPs are overpriced.
don't leave out Carvin and Vigier now.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
If you're willing to spend that much, get a Suhr or a Tom Anderson. You can choose everything you want, body wood, finish, neck, electronics, hardware, etc. Both companies make amazing guitars. I personally like the feel of the Suhr's necks better. But everybody is different. Find someplace that carries them and check them out for yourself.
I own 2 PRS's and I like both of them. But the Suhr's I've played feel like superior instruments.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by acdclandon
I would recommend going with a couple guitars, even three, to properly hit those genres right.

that would also be worth considering. it's definitely a judgement call; if you can get 3 good-enough guitars for $3500, and you play a wide range of stuff and need a wide range of tones, then it might be worth it. But if you don't, or think you might still have to upgrade those guitars later, then stick with one (or maybe two). as i said, judgement call.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?