I received my used fender hot rod deluxe today after purchasing it off of ebay. Great sounding clean, but both the drive and more drive channel crack and pop, and wont stay on unless im strumming rather hard on the guitar. Maybe its the electricity in my house?

The light will flash on and off switching from clean to drive,

Also the reverb doesnt work.

can anyone help?
Quote by penguinfeet
I received my used fender hot rod deluxe today after purchasing it off of ebay. Great sounding clean, but both the drive and more drive channel crack and pop, and wont stay on unless im strumming rather hard on the guitar. Maybe its the electricity in my house?

The light will flash on and off switching from clean to drive,

Also the reverb doesnt work.

can anyone help?

How much did you pay? And were you aware it had problems??

It MIGHT be a tube problem for the OD channel. Try swapping some power tubes around.
And is the reverb a tank reverb? I can't remember. If it is, make sure it's connected.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I payed 450 for the amp , and no, the seller said everything was in perfect working order.

it has brand new tubes in it supposedly, but i'll try another set and see how it does.
I don't suggest buying new tubes yet. Swap them around a little. Different tubes power differnet parts of the amp.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Instead of replacing your power tubes, replace all of your preamp tubes, since that's what creates your distortion, your cleans are mostly driven by your power tubes, and somewhat by your preamp tubes. And the amp has a reverb tank, it might just be disconnected or again, preamp tube problems, since that's also what processes the reverb.
its not the power tubes, replaced them and have the same problem. when im on the drive channel, and im playing, its fine, but as soon as i turn the volume on my guitar down it will go off.
not the preamp tubes either, still doing after they are replaced, maybe something inside the amp is loose?
Doesn't sound like a cable problem, but switch out cables, and try the other input. Use #1 instead of #2 or vise versa.

If you have another cab you could try and hook up external speaker. After changing the tubes, cables and checking speakers, then I'd take a look inside and see if any solder joints are loose.

On my Deluxe usually when the power tubes start to go, it's the clean channel that starts poppin.
Quote by penguinfeet
its not the power tubes, replaced them and have the same problem. when im on the drive channel, and im playing, its fine, but as soon as i turn the volume on my guitar down it will go off.

On your guitar or on the amp? If your guitar then that makes no sense whatsoever, you must be possessed or something. If its on the amp then it would have something to do with the switch related to the volume pot.
Quote by al112987
sounds like a bad switch

Use the manual switch to change channels on the amp I guess to check that also.
Both are problems common to the Hot Rod series. I just took mine to a tech.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
There is quite a bit of circuitry involved in the switching of those and several components could be causing this fault. Take it to somebody that knows what they are doing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It seems as if there is something "loose" with the distortion...like...i'll hit the amp a little bit and itll come on, and for a min it will stay, but it will eventually die out, and i'll have to hit it again.....its definitely not playable. its like somethings a tad loose on the inside or something, i looked on the inside and nothing seems loose, i also cannot find where the reverb tank is, anyone know a location?
Bottom of the cabinet. I'm telling you, take it to a tech if you don't know what you're doing. These problems are very common on the Hot Rod series. I've had my OD channel break twice and my reverb break once. I know lots of people who had problems with theirs as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

how much will it generally run to repair this problem? i know it will depend on the tech, but estimate?
Mine was like $40 bucks each time but I have a great tech that I take my amps to.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT