So i just started having this problem after i got into playing more metal, which is obviously faster playing then most rock songs... but i noticed my strumming shoulder really starts to hurt after just a litter bit... the same kind of feeling you get when you work out your shoulder, but it really is affecting how long i can play without stopping..... is this a technique problem or what... has anyone else had this problem?
You might be tensing up. I notice that happens to me when I play fast (or for a long time) and I'm tensing up my body/arm. Try and relax, do breathing exercises (it could help to relax the muscles), and let it rest when it starts hurting. You don't want anything bad happening (though, if it's JUST the shoulder, I'm not sure what bad stuff could happen) to it.
hope you aren't using your elbow/shoulder to pick
the picking movement should come from your wrist
If you are new to it there will be some discomfort but eventually it will go away with practice and some warm up exercises
had the same problem at a point in time
It's probably since your not used to it yet. Keep practicing and eventually your shoulder pain should go away. If not talk to a doctor
You're not used to playing that fast. You're stamina will increase eventually. Relax, it's very easy to tense up when playing fast. Use your wrist for stumming, not your arm.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
You're not used to playing that fast. You're stamina will increase eventually. Relax, it's very easy to tense up when playing fast. Use your wrist for stumming, not your arm.

I'd rather have him tense up his shoulder muscles then his wrist.

I did that and messed up my wrist causing bad inflammation and now it's a pain to play so I've been resting for weeks and its still getting better.
ive been playing for a couple years so i know to use my wrist haah.... i think it might just be that i am tensing up.... this is definitely hard to not do haha but thanks thats what i thought it was but really wasnt sure, but this helped
Aye, you're just tense. I play mainly Black metal, and that goes fast, and i remember it far too well.. Actually, it still happens once in a while. Just FOCUS on not tensing up.. Sounds a little weird, but it's really easy actually
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Wah4theWin
So i just started having this problem after i got into playing more metal, which is obviously faster playing then most rock songs... but i noticed my strumming shoulder really starts to hurt after just a litter bit... the same kind of feeling you get when you work out your shoulder, but it really is affecting how long i can play without stopping..... is this a technique problem or what... has anyone else had this problem?

Everything's relative. What's fast to one might be considered moderate to another right? I've had this problem come up at various times in the past 25 years and IMO it's usually when I'm trying to learn something fast(relative to what I know), but more importantly, new to my muscles. I was a bit cocky one day when I bumped into this WFD champ in the local music store and he asked me to play in his Iced Earth tribute project. He asked me if I thought I could learn their riffs, and of course I said no problem. Looked up the tab for Coming Curse to start, made a backing track, and got ready to master it as fast as I could.

After trying to play the opening riff, my arm muscles didn't know what the **** was going. I just couldn't keep up with the track. I knew how the riff went in my head, but my arm wanted to explode trying to keep up with the whole song. It's not really considered a really fast song either, just really oddly placed triplets and gallops made it hard.

So I had to slow it down and teach my arm how the rhythm was going to feel, physically. Instead of practicing it at actual tempo, I had to slow down and practice muscle and finger movement. Once my muscles got used to the motions, then I tried speeding it up.

Seems like with fast songs, there always comes a point, if you practice properly, where your mind and muscle isn't trying to catch-up to the song anymore. It's not something your brain considers fast anymore.

So if your arm or shoulder hurts. Just slow it down and play it properly.
Good luck