I've been reading about this for a couple of days now and I think I have just confused myself even more. I am looking to start recording guitar however I do not know what to do about it.

I have a DAW and I have a guitar. Now I need an audio interface right? I was reading up on the line 6 ux2 however read the amp sims are not capible of high gain. Is this just the line 6 specific amp models or are all amp sims/VST's lacking in the high gain department?

I have figured out how to import VST's into my DAW therefore would only an interface be required?

There was also Line 6 PODs which have the models within the product itself which majorly confused me. Why are line 6 selling basically the same thing however for one you must control the models from your computer?

Im using line 6 as an example here but I had a look at other interfaces such as the M Audio Fast Track however I think that has latency issues.

Any help is appreciated!
You definitely need an interface, or you'll have latency and low quality sound. I use Amplitube (don't buy it, not worth the money) and I get some really decent high gain sounds. I'm pretty sure the Line 6 software can do this as well.

The reason they sell the UX separately from the POD is that the pod farm software is meant to plug into a DAW and then you record tracks with it, it's not intended for live performance as the POD and floorPODs are.

If you just want to record guitar, grab a UX1 and do your thing. It's a great littler interface from what I hear.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
To continue on his question (sorry to thread jack but I don't want to clog up the forum board),is it possible to bypass the amp and effect sims on the UX2 and just use it to go:

Guitar>amp>lineout/speaker out/mic/>DAW

?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
To continue on his question (sorry to thread jack but I don't want to clog up the forum board),is it possible to bypass the amp and effect sims on the UX2 and just use it to go:

Guitar>amp>lineout/speaker out/mic/>DAW

?

I'm pretty sure the amp sims are in pod farm as a vst plugin, so you can just not load the sims at all, and record through the interface. I could be wrong, I don't own one.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite