im playing 4 years ,and i want to learn some theory.where should i start : minor & major scale? i know the patterns so what do i do?just go from octave to octave and those improvise on those notes?
4 years and you dont know one scale???

this is the only reason i hate this site...idiots who learn to play from tab, say they are amasing with a guitar, the struggle to tell me where the D string is

FAIL
Quote by link no1

this is the only reason i hate this site...idiots who learn to play from tab, say they are amasing with a guitar, the struggle to tell me where the D string is

FAIL

*reported* for being unnecessary harsh and not helping at all.
Quote by davor2705
im playing 4 years ,and i want to learn some theory.where should i start : minor & major scale? i know the patterns so what do i do?just go from octave to octave and those improvise on those notes?

1) Learn to read music ( good prep for studying theory )

2) get a good book on theory and/or take a class/lessons.

When you get to a certain point you will be able to supplement your studies online by asking questions in forums or finding lessons.

This is something that people study for years. Start at the beginning. Take it one step at a time as you develop your understanding.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by link no1

FAIL

your a idiot.i play everything by ear,and use tabs only when i must ,and i learn much by doing so.I just dont know a thing a bout theory.I always played what i thought was right but know i wanna learn more...
Quote by davor2705
your a idiot.i play everything by ear,and use tabs only when i must ,and i learn much by doing so.I just dont know a thing a bout theory.I always played what i thought was right but know i wanna learn more...

Don't bother with him, not worth the energy. Hit up some of the lessons on UG there are some great articles and videos on use of scales and soloing.
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

im learning from this site,i know all the notes on the fretboard and find them easy using octaves.but and i learn major and minor scales.
the problem is if i have a basic C-F-G progression i start play from the C-root note then improvise something in the c-major scale.problem is that not all the things i improvise sound "right" i know you should focuse on the c-f-g notes but i still i can get a decent solo
Quote by link no1

FAIL

No reason to be hateful. That just turns people of from learning, and will result in more of these "idiots". Just be helpful. He wants to learn, he's humble about it, and his question isn't hard to answer, so just answer it.

TS, the major scale is the basis of western harmony. It is the most important, and easiest scale to learn for harmony. You already know some patterns for it, and you're aware that at the octave the scale just repeats. If you count the notes you'll find that there are seven unique notes (as the octave and the root are the same note). If you know the scale well you'll know the intervals are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and the distances between the notes follow a pattern of WWHWWWH (W = whole tone (two frets); H = half tone (one fret)). If you change the key, the notes will change but the distance between them (intervals) do not change.

The intervals are named numerically. Two adjacent notes (in the scale) are a second apart. In a major scale there are minor seconds (one fret apart), and major seconds (two frets apart). After seconds, comes thirds, which are the main interval in chord construction. In a major scale, there are two varieties of third, the major third (four frets apart) and the minor third (three frets apart). If the notes of an interval of a third are played simultaneously, they sound much better (technical term is consonant) than if the notes of an interval of a second are played simultaneously. The two notes together do not form a chord.

A chord by definition has atleast three tones. To make a chord, you have to stack thirds. This would be playing 1 3 and 5 together, rather than just one and three. The highest and lowest notes are a fifth apart. You can do this to any scale degree (when you get to 7, just go back to one, so a triad built on 7 consists of 7 2 and 4). If you do this to the entire scale, its called harmonization, and you will get seven triads. In a major key there are three types of triad: major, minor, and diminished. Major triads have a major third, and a minor third on top. Minor triads have a minor third and then a major third. Diminished triads have two minor thirds. There is also an augmented triad with two major thirds, but its very uncommon.

The chords are typically represented by the roman numeral of the scale degree on which they are built, (small for minor, large for major, small with degree sign for diminished). If you work out the triads you'll get I ii iii IV V vi vii°. These chords can be played in different orders and progressions will be made. To solo ontop of the progression, you can play any notes that are from the scale. Play around with making some basic progressions, looping them, and soloing over them. It will give you a feel for what notes sound good and what notes sound bad over what chords.
TS, to be honest it sounds like you've got the basic nuts and bolts in place, you just need a better understanding of them and some ideas regarding how everything actually fits together and how it can actually help you.

I reckon you should watch my fave vids...they should help clarify a few things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnbOWi6f_IM
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com