Lo, UG. I just have to start by saying that I am retarded when it comes to amplifiers. I don't know the difference between tubes and transistors, what effect watts have, and so on. I'm as oblivious to amps as Uwe Boll is to making films. Combos, tops, racks or stacks; you tell me.

I have about $1200 to spend (€830/£750). I'm looking for an amp for band practices and perhaps small gigs. I play mostly metal (metalcore, alternative metal, groove metal) and rock (modern rock, not vintage) with some clean parts. Though I know it might be much too ask for with only $1200, I want an amp that sound big, thick and full (my drummer has anger problems), but still crisp. Not neccesarily with the amp's distortion itself though, I have pedals if the amp's distortion isn't good enough. As I mentioned, I do play cleans aswell, so if I could find one with decent cleans aswell, that would be perfect.

I know I'm describing the perfect amp here, but if you could help me find the best of the worst, I would be grateful I'm sure there are some lesser known brands out there who sell good amps for better prices than the mainstream brands.

Thank you.

I use an Ibanez RG with EMG mics, usually dropped to C or lower, if that helps.

Edit:

Forgot to mention: I'm Norwegian. For instance, did a quick online search, and a Marshall MG102FX, which costs around 310£ (note the pound, not dollar, can't be arsed to convert anymore) in online stores, costs 510£ here in Norway. It's insane. Might have found a crazy good offer on that, but believe me, shit is EXPENSIVE here. Take that example into account.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Last edited by Deflection at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by Deflection
Lo, UG. I just have to start by saying that I am retarded when it comes to amplifiers. I don't know the difference between tubes and transistors, what effect watts have, and so on. I'm as oblivious to amps as Uwe Boll is to making films. Combos, tops, racks or stacks; you tell me.

I have about $1200 to spend (€830/£750). I'm looking for an amp for band practices and perhaps small gigs. I play mostly metal and rock with some clean parts. Though I know it might be much too ask for with only $1200, I want an amp that sound big, thick and full (my drummer has anger problems). Not neccesarily with the amp's distortion itself though, I have pedals if the amp's distortion isn't good enough. As I mentioned, I do play cleans aswell, so if I could find one with decent cleans aswell, that would be perfect.

I know I'm describing the perfect amp here, but if you could help me find the best of the worst, I would be grateful I'm sure there are some lesser known brands out there who sell good amps for better prices than the mainstream brands.

Thank you.

Dude, at 1200$ (especially if you'll go used) you've got a ****ing winter wonderland at your disposal. No need to worry
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Vox AC30. You would have to use an OD or Distortion pedal for metal though.
Used Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto
Used Peavey XXX
Bugera 333XL
Used Marshall JCM 800/900 w/ OD pedal
Used Marshall JCM 2000 DSL w/ OD pedal
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Krank Krankenstein, Peavy 6505+, Peavy JSX or Peavy XXX. But try before you buy if you can
used mark iv
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by Phantom123
Dude, at 1200$ (especially if you'll go used) you've got a ****ing winter wonderland at your disposal. No need to worry

Forgot to mention: I'm Norwegian. For instance, did a quick online search, and a Marshall MG102FX, which costs around 310£ (note the pound, not dollar, can't be arsed to convert anymore) in online stores, costs 510£ here in Norway. It's insane. Might have found a crazy good offer on that, but believe me, shit is EXPENSIVE here. Take that example into account.
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Ambivalence.
Wouldn't go marshall for metal. Just my opinion but the mids are far too thick even when turned to zero, just the way the amps voiced. Depends whether or not you like scooped mids or not though.
You can't bump within 24 hours.

With your metalzone, you really aren't going to get nice sounds from it, so you'll need a new pedal if you want to get metal tones out of an amp that doesn't really do metal.

The other recommendations are all decent, I can't really think of anything else to add.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
You can't bump within 24 hours.

With your metalzone, you really aren't going to get nice sounds from it, so you'll need a new pedal if you want to get metal tones out of an amp that doesn't really do metal.

The other recommendations are all decent, I can't really think of anything else to add.

I'm using the Metalcore, not the Metalzone. The Metalzone is crap for anything besides black metal in my opinion.
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Ambivalence.
the Metalcore isn't much better
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
be sure to check out some ENGLs too, and in my opninion definitely try the Powerball and de Blackmore.

the PB is much more modern voiced, but provided alot of versitility with the four channels it has.

you are going to have buy used for these though.
Main gear:
'06 ESP Truckster
Diezel VH4S with Diezel 412F Cab
Last edited by Major Insane at Jan 7, 2010,