Fairly simple question; When I solder things tend to go from "aight" to "dead". I'm looking into a set of 60's-voiced alnico strat pickups to replace the bland stock ones in my MIM stratocaster. How much would most places charge for the install? Also would it be worth my while to, as long as I have the pickguard off, line the pickguard and pickup cavity with shielding tape?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Huh, cheaper than I thought...thanks mate.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I have the same problem. I follow the diagrams to the letter, I sue the best equipment money can buy, I use the highest grade solder, I clean and prepare everything carefully - still, everything I wire up buzzes, crackles or loses signal entirely.

Shops near me will do pickup installation for anything from £10 (the crap place - dented my guitar last time) to £50/hour (best place - they've done a perfect job but I'm aware they're ripping me off quite a bit). I can't say USA prices for sure of course, but I would guess $20-$30 is reasonable, little bit more if it's a decent place that you know is going to do a good job. If I was you I wouldn't trust anyone who costs less than $20.

As far as shielding goes, if you play near lots of neon lights or in old buildings with decrepid wiring (60+ years old - I'm aware most buildings in America never make it to that age so I doubt it would be much of an issue for you) then yes, shielding with copper tape (or shielding paint - often easier) can be a good idea. It will never get rid of cycle hum or all noise though, just the extra interference that things like neon bar signs produce. You can get some instrument cables and mains power supply cables that have the same kind of shielding that will do the same job. A fully shielded rig will be slightly quieter in some buildings but a lot of the time you won't notice a difference. On the other hand there are no downsides, so you might as well do it if you can get the copper tape cheaply.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
When soldering apply flux to the wire and contact, tin the end of the wire if you want, place the wire in the position it is to be soldered, then heat with the soldering iron until the two pieces to be soldered are at a temperature to melt solder, then apply the solder and maintain the heat allowing for the solder to flow through the strands of the wire making a good electrical contact.
Quote by Old Nick
maintain the heat allowing for the solder to flow through the strands of the wire making a good electrical contact.

That is the most common problem I see. Often I see a bead of solder over the wire instead of a wire covered tightly in solder.
I charge $35.00 to swap 2 pick ups on something like a Les Paul only an extra 5 for Strats only because it's so easy to do. When you swap pups on an LP you have to run the wires thru the body with a strat you remove the pick guard and it's all right there very simple job to say the least.

Depending on the pups your going to use shielding usually can't hurt.

John
Practice soldering wires together maybe? I know I'm a pretty crappy hand with a soldering iron, but even I can get a guitar up and making noise without too much hassle.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...