Hey all, just bought an ISP Decimator off some guy and I think he might have pulled one on me. I'm running a TS9 as well and I'm running into problems

1) It sounds like crap, and no matter where I dial it it still sounds bad, and it sounds even more bad when I touch it. Sounds like a robot pissing from his ass after eating hot peppers
2) The back of the chain, Guitar >>>ISP>>>TS9>>>>Amp? or Guitar>>>>TS9>>>>ISP>>>>Amp?
3) It might be these 8 dollar piece of crap patch cords I bought, but I can't be too sure.
4) I'm really pissed I might have just gotten shit on and down 100 bucks cuz this pedal is balls. I REALLY hope I'm just a noob with this ISP, help appreciated.
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Heeelp!
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
battery or adaptor powered?

Open it up and check it's not damaged, the battery clip isn't touching the casing, etc, etc.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I would definately put it at the end of the chain...I've got mine in the effects loop. But yeah, check the obvious first, is anything broken and is the battery good? Power it with an adaptor if you can cause it's gonna be on almost constantly so you don't wanna eat through batteries
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Its usually at the end of the chain, or just after a pedal where you're getting a lot of noise from. There are some people who put it in the effects loop just to tame the noise coming from the preamp (yes, I know its not a G-string, but it can still be used there).

However, with such a simple setup do you really need an ISP?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^That.

And check the battery. 99% of these threads are because someone hasn't checked the battery. That's the main problem people have been having with them.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by penner
Should be at the end of the chain IMO.

What happens if you use it without the TS9?

Still zaps the shit out of my sound

Quote by mmolteratx
^That.

And check the battery. 99% of these threads are because someone hasn't checked the battery. That's the main problem people have been having with them.

The battery light is fully red, I don't think its a bad battery but you could very well be right. I use the ISP because the tubescreamer causes hum and noise, I thought thats why you use noise gates? Don't think you need 10 pedals to be able to use it, maybe you do
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT

The battery light is fully red, I don't think its a bad battery but you could very well be right. I use the ISP because the tubescreamer causes hum and noise, I thought thats why you use noise gates? Don't think you need 10 pedals to be able to use it, maybe you do

No, you don't need to have an extremely hot chain to use a noise gate. In fact, I know that having a noise gate with a 5150 is a good idea.

However, if your tubescreamer is causing significant amounts of hum and noise, maybe your problem is with the tubescreamer and not the ISP?

I don't know, but I've seen people use a tubescreamer straight with a 5150 and it didn't cause extreme amounts of noise?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If your going through the front of the amp (running the clean channel most likely) do this
Guitar>TS9>ISP>AMP
If using the distortion channel of the amp, try this
Guitar>TS9>AMP>Effects loop send>ISP>effects return

As mentioned, check power (low battery or bad connection...try with power supply)
If power is OK, and you are using a good cable from the ISP to the amp you should be OK.

Does it always make the noise, or only when your playing? If always...check cable from ISP to amp. If while playing, check cables before the ISP
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT

I've never used battery power cause after the rate my Boss TU-2 ate batteries I vowed to never again run a pedal off a battery...so I don't know what the light does with regards to battery levels, but as it's an LED I would've thought it would just either be on or off, as far as I'm aware they don't have a middle ground. Therefore, a dying battery could still be just about powering the pedal enough to suck your tone...
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Quote by idiotbox919
I've never used battery power cause after the rate my Boss TU-2 ate batteries I vowed to never again run a pedal off a battery...so I don't know what the light does with regards to battery levels, but as it's an LED I would've thought it would just either be on or off, as far as I'm aware they don't have a middle ground. Therefore, a dying battery could still be just about powering the pedal enough to suck your tone...

True, although I don't have any extra 9V's. The guy who sold it to me is giving me a shitload of advice. I put it in the FX loop and it dramatically lowered the volume of the entire amp. Which is a bad thing. Btw he always used an adaptor too so he thinks the battery is crap.

Scared the **** out of me when I first plugged it in and it sounded like a dying cow.
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Quote by Vinson
If your going through the front of the amp (running the clean channel most likely) do this
Guitar>TS9>ISP>AMP
If using the distortion channel of the amp, try this
Guitar>TS9>AMP>Effects loop send>ISP>effects return

As mentioned, check power (low battery or bad connection...try with power supply)
If power is OK, and you are using a good cable from the ISP to the amp you should be OK.

Does it always make the noise, or only when your playing? If always...check cable from ISP to amp. If while playing, check cables before the ISP

Didn't see this post. I ran it through the effects loop with a shitty battery and it lowered my amp volume. I changed batteries and ran it just with the ISP and it worked as advertised, so running it through the FX loop with a good battery won't lower the amp volume? Guitar>TS9>AMP>Send>ISP>Return is the best bet I would imagine.

Quote by ragingkitty
No, you don't need to have an extremely hot chain to use a noise gate. In fact, I know that having a noise gate with a 5150 is a good idea.

However, if your tubescreamer is causing significant amounts of hum and noise, maybe your problem is with the tubescreamer and not the ISP?

I don't know, but I've seen people use a tubescreamer straight with a 5150 and it didn't cause extreme amounts of noise?

Yeah I have to adjust the TS9 to get the perfect tone I want, I'm mixed as of right now but I know the ISP will help cut back on the hum and feedback. Btw people who used the tubescreamer with a 5150 might also have been playing at lower volumes, I would imagine. When I play at 1.5-2 Post gain it isn't an excessive hum but it is noticeable.
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Yeah, that way it cuts all noise from the guitar AND the amp....might need to trun the gate off if you want to switch to a clean sound....the gate will be too aggressive for that.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
I rarely play cleans, as you can obviously tell, my peavey has some really dirty muddy cleans, its just god awful. I try to avoid cleans. Thanks for the help despite my situation be incredibly noobish
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator