Hello,
I am getting an amp for christmas for around 400$ ,
Mainly playing classic rock ~ Guns n Roses, Thin lizzy, Motley crue, Skid row, Hendrix and that kind of music.

As i mainly play Guns n Roses im looking to archeive something close to Slash's tone with either the Blackstar HT 5 or Marshall Class 5.
I dont gig, and i play in my apartment so i can't really crank up an amp.

I liked the Blackstar becouse of master volume and the ISF knob. Will it do Guns n Roses?

Marshall Class 5 doesn't have master volume and need to be cranked up for good sound unless i buy OD pedal.

Which one should i go for and id like to ask mainly if the Blackstar will do Guns n roses?

Thanks,

Axel
Last edited by Axel1933 at Dec 24, 2009,
Honestly? Most people will say Blackstar because it probably has the gain on tap, but I've gotta go with the Class 5. With an over-drive pedal, it'll give you an incredibly faithful rendition of those tones, as that's where most of 'em came from.

Edit: I am not saying to do this because it is marshall, as they were; that is not what I want to convey. The sound IS what you want (which is what I want to say :P ).
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Id hardly use gain over 7. What i like about the Blackstar is the ISF knob going from American sound to British and the fact that it has master volume so i wont have to buy a OD pedal. If Blackstar can do Guns id go for it.
Last edited by Axel1933 at Dec 24, 2009,
either one should work alright, but i fully believe that neither will do amazingly well unless they're over 25 watts running EL34s, as that's what gives the more ballsy marshall sound...

i say this mainly b/c my (formerly mine) Blackheart Little Giant head/cab was quite the crunch machine, and beautiful with an OD, but it still had that characteristic fizz to it, running off the EL84s. it DID do AC/DC rather great, as well as RATM and GnR, but i found out later that my randall RM50 running on EL34s and going through the 'Brown' module (hot rodded JCM800) was still closer, insanely close compared to the 5 watter.

i'd say marshall class 5...just to be daring...oh yea, and GnR is NOT classic rock neither is Crue and Skid Row! lol sorry i just think that anything past the 70s isn't really 'classic rock' and even stuff before then, not much 'classical' about it haha. such a weird term.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
either one should work alright, but i fully believe that neither will do amazingly well unless they're over 25 watts running EL34s, as that's what gives the more ballsy marshall sound...

i say this mainly b/c my (formerly mine) Blackheart Little Giant head/cab was quite the crunch machine, and beautiful with an OD, but it still had that characteristic fizz to it, running off the EL84s. it DID do AC/DC rather great, as well as RATM and GnR, but i found out later that my randall RM50 running on EL34s and going through the 'Brown' module (hot rodded JCM800) was still closer, insanely close compared to the 5 watter.

i'd say marshall class 5...just to be daring...oh yea, and GnR is NOT classic rock neither is Crue and Skid Row! lol sorry i just think that anything past the 70s isn't really 'classic rock' and even stuff before then, not much 'classical' about it haha. such a weird term.

I second the RM! I've got a 100 with a brown, and it's perfect! Heck, I can pull off a convincing Steve Vai on the neck pickup with the song "I Know You're There", which is not remotely what I expected to be able to do! Plus, it nails EVH's tone, as well as a good, heavy-crunching Marshall tone, but smoother
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
it IS quite a nice module, and mine isn't even modded ha. i've noticed that not too many people seem to speak about the Brown module in the MTS forums, i got lucky when i found someone who wanted to trade theirs for my Recto. it's like it's kinda under the radar but people still know it's a good module...i love mine. it does GnR almost perfect, though sometimes need that OD on top to make the lead tone more to MY liking with added gain, but that's just how i am. it really does roar lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Thanks a lot,

I didn't intend to put all those bands under Classic rock genre, my bad.
The HT-5 can definately do Guns, quite well I might add.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by slash_rocks2005
it IS quite a nice module, and mine isn't even modded ha. i've noticed that not too many people seem to speak about the Brown module in the MTS forums, i got lucky when i found someone who wanted to trade theirs for my Recto. it's like it's kinda under the radar but people still know it's a good module...i love mine. it does GnR almost perfect, though sometimes need that OD on top to make the lead tone more to MY liking with added gain, but that's just how i am. it really does roar lol.

Neither is mine! I'm gonna get my ultra modded to SLO specs by Pete from gigmods (I go to the MTS forums too XD) but the Brown is perfect as is. It's not talked about due to how rare it's become; people will seriously get plexis modded to Brown specs, because they don't pop up regularly. I probably wouldn't mind a mild OD on it, to tighten it up just a bit for solo boosting, but at the same time, I could make due by just using my Neck for soloing, and the bridge for rhythm, and setting volumes accordingly (I'm one of those guys who prefers pickup-switching to using a sound booster)
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
DiizZ,
Did you record any Gnr songs using your HT 5?
Id love to hear it myself
Quote by Phantom123
Neither is mine! I'm gonna get my ultra modded to SLO specs by Pete from gigmods (I go to the MTS forums too XD) but the Brown is perfect as is. It's not talked about due to how rare it's become; people will seriously get plexis modded to Brown specs, because they don't pop up regularly. I probably wouldn't mind a mild OD on it, to tighten it up just a bit for solo boosting, but at the same time, I could make due by just using my Neck for soloing, and the bridge for rhythm, and setting volumes accordingly (I'm one of those guys who prefers pickup-switching to using a sound booster)

yea but those pete mods apparently bring out the best in the modules so i'm eventually gonna get mine modded lol...cuz that thing is SICK can't wait to see how it improves godly tone haha. i never care too much for boosting my sound, i always like my lead and rhythm to be same volume, but adding thickness to it is what matters more to me. i guess it all depends on the bandmates as well. atm my neck pup is only good for so much soloing as it's a bit muddy even with the gain at just 12 o'clock, due to it being a stock Agile pup lol. can't wait to get those stock pups swapped
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Well where I live Christmas is in 40 minutes...

If you want a good Slash tone I'd go for a Class 5 or a Vox AC4. That's just me.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by slash_rocks2005
yea but those pete mods apparently bring out the best in the modules so i'm eventually gonna get mine modded lol...cuz that thing is SICK can't wait to see how it improves godly tone haha. i never care too much for boosting my sound, i always like my lead and rhythm to be same volume, but adding thickness to it is what matters more to me. i guess it all depends on the bandmates as well. atm my neck pup is only good for so much soloing as it's a bit muddy even with the gain at just 12 o'clock, due to it being a stock Agile pup lol. can't wait to get those stock pups swapped

Pete's mods are fantastic, and the only issue with buying from him is that the second you buy one, you want to buy ALL of them =P I'm actually playing with P-90s, which handle all the gain surprisingly well. It's basically better tone than a humbucker or single coil, at the price of worse hum than a single coil. I'd still probably prefer pure single coils for utterly clean sounds, but damn these things rock with distortion. I'd put up a video if I had a camera =P
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by Axel1933
DiizZ,
Did you record any Gnr songs using your HT 5?
Id love to hear it myself

Unfortunately not. I dont have a proper Microphone either, I just use a cheap USB type thing from the Emulated output to my PC. Its works okay, but doesnt sound all that good.

I could put some up now, but they would be a proper representation... I'll give it a shot though. I'll let you know when they are up.

Quote by Danyg
Last edited by DiizZ at Dec 24, 2009,
HT-5 gets it for me. I just can't fit a single channel amp into my playing.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Uploaded. Im not a great player, so please excuse any mistakes I made.

Remember, what you hear in the recording does not represent what you hear when actually playing the amp. The recording seems quite dull and lifeless in comparison.

Give it a rating if you like, but please take into account that it was recorded in one shot. No retakes.

Quote by Danyg
the scom intro sounded really weird but i guess its the recording

Thanks a lot
Last edited by Axel1933 at Dec 25, 2009,
Yeah, my recording with a cheap USB cable isn't doing the amp justice at all. Expecially when you take into account that it's recorded from the Line Out, which doesn't sound nearly as good as the actual amp. (And I'm not very good at dialing in tones, I must admit)

Just take into account that not even Slash can recreate the sounds he got on Appetite For Destruction. He's tried many times, but he's never been able to do it.

Quote by Danyg
I get the same kind of tone when I try to use the emulated out on my HT-5. The amp actually sounds much more lively in person.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Here's another option:

Jet City A-20H

I heard they sound even better than the HT-5.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Here's another option:

Jet City A-20H

I heard they sound even better than the HT-5.

I totally forgot that!

Yeah, good idea. Those have been getting great reviews
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
The 20H looks great if you can get over the single channel and no effects-loop; and the fact that it's 4x as powerful.

Have you considered a Triple Rectifier?

Edit: After listening to a few 20H demos on YouTube I'll concede, those are great sounding amps. Still an apples and oranges thing on features, but great sound!
Quote by Marty Friedman
Last edited by ch0 at Dec 25, 2009,