Page 1 of 2
Hello Pit!

This is my first pondering to you guys so I'm bound to get shat on, but it's Christmas so what the hell?

As we're a hour into Christmas here in the UK and Ireland, I was wondering, should atheists really celebrate Christmas? Silly ponder I know, but I thought I'd ask you guys since your opinions intrigue me.

Cheers
.:: Current Setup::.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Fender Squire Acoustic Guitar
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

Should christians really celebrate christmas? It is ,when you get down to it, a pagan festival.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Christmas is a stolen holiday that is not about Jesus. While it has it's roots in pagan tradition, the fact remains that the celebration is because this is the time when the days start getting longer again. Atheists tend to like this just as much as the rest of you.
Check out my band Disturbed
no. its a christian holiday. if they are true atheists they won't celebrate a "silly" day celebrating the birth of christ. but thats how i see it.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Should? No one really has the right to say who should or not. Anyone can if they want and they dont need a reason.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I'm not an atheist, but in a way I'm also not religious. But the way I see it is why should the giving of gifts be resigned to one cold day of the year, even if the event might of/might not have happened some 2,000 years ago?

It belongs with the same old addage about Valentines Day, why should couples declare their love for one another once a year? Why not everyday?
.:: Current Setup::.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Fender Squire Acoustic Guitar
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

Christmas turns into more and more of an economic holiday every year rather than a Christian holiday. I know people of other religions and a few atheists who celebrate it.

There are also many people who never though Christmas was a Christian holiday in the first place because one, Christ was not born on the day, and two, it has roots in pagan holidays, like the posters above have said.
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black puck with sticks.

Quote by Tire Me.
Dumbledore wasn't the only headmaster that night.
I'm atheist and I celebrate it as a time of gathering with my family and sharing gifts and memories. For me, it has nothing to do with religion. So yes.
Quote by drugfreeboy
no. its a christian holiday. if they are true atheists they won't celebrate a "silly" day celebrating the birth of christ. but thats how i see it.

pfft, what's wrong with having a few days off work/school, eating too much and giving presents? that's universally a good thing.

Also, it's very well known to ALL that Christmas day is the day of the sun from pagan times and Christians just chose that day to over-shadow their celebration.

Atheists don't kill people, not because of fear of God, but personal morals.
Doesn't that say a lot about humans?
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas. Not in the usual Christian way of making it all about Jesus or by going to mass or anything. I just like to have a day every year with my whole family. I think of it as more about the family than that Jesus lad anyway.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by TheCrowing2113
I'm not an atheist, but in a way I'm also not religious. But the way I see it is why should the giving of gifts be resigned to one cold day of the year, even if the event might of/might not have happened some 2,000 years ago?

It belongs with the same old addage about Valentines Day, why should couples declare their love for one another once a year? Why not everyday?

Symbolism is lost on you, I gather.
Atheists giving and receiving presents on Christmas is just fine. It's like a Canadian lighting off fireworks of July 4th -- not celebrating Independence Day, just wanting to blow shit up.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
Ya. There have been winter celebrations at this time of year for millennia before Christianity came around, and it'll probably continue long after Christianity is long forgotten.
I celebrate it as a time to be around family and friends, it holds no religious significance for me.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by StewieSwan
Christmas is a stolen holiday that is not about Jesus. While it has it's roots in pagan tradition, the fact remains that the celebration is because this is the time when the days start getting longer again. Atheists tend to like this just as much as the rest of you.

1st reply and bang on the nail.

I don't celebrate the Jesusy part of it, but I like having my family around and eating and drinking too much, so ****ed if I'm gonna stop celebrating christmas.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by D&DLover
I'm atheist and I celebrate it as a time of gathering with my family and sharing gifts and memories. For me, it has nothing to do with religion. So yes.

This, exactly.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
"Good for goodness' sake"

Why should Christians be the only ones who can celebrate a holiday that focuses on giving to others?
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Quote by drugfreeboy

Jesus wasn't born on December 25th and Christmas wasn't always a Christian holiday.

And even if it was a t one point, can anyone really argue that it's currently more a religious holiday than a commercial holiday? I think not.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
who cares.
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
Gifts are always welcome, no matter what the reason
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ScottB.
Should christians really celebrate christmas? It is ,when you get down to it, a pagan festival.

I'm what you would call a Christian, and don't celebrate Christmas because of that amongst other reasons. It has surprised me how people completely uninterested in religion are taking so full a part in such a festival, purported to be Christian when really all I see is a big facade. It's hard not to be sucked into it all though, as it absolutely saturates our culture at this time of year, so I can see why people participate despite lacking belief.
Am I the only person who thinks that 'it's a Pagan festival' is a stupid argument?

I mean, are you a pagan? I don't get that argument.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
There's nothing wrong with putting a tree in a room, putting presents under it and opening them on Dec. 25th. If they want to do it, then they can. I'm not a big enough dick to tell them they shouldn't.
Christians celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas, as well as everyday really. But these days its pretty much just a commercial holiday fueled by greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed. For some people heh.
"Lord beer me strength."
I don't know what's so hard to get to grips with?
Atheists should do what? demand that no presents be giving to them and demand they go to work?
Fast?
not use electricity or watch TV?

The only thing Christmas has to do with Christianity is the name.
To many people, Christmas is about family. Me being such a loner, I don't see why. But I guess family is as good a reason as any to celebrate. Personally, Christmas rather lost its flavor for me when I found out it was originally a Roman pagan holiday, that Constantine's (the Roman Emperor who declared Christianity the Roman state religion) mother had turned into a "Christian" holiday. Since I'm basically Messianic Jewish, this doesn't really sit too well with me. But I celebrate it anyway, cuz part of my family isn't Jewish; and I don't feel like raining too heavily on their parade. I still think it's bull though.

And inb4 Grinch, Scrouge, etc.
Quote by Lil Macker
Am I the only person who thinks that 'it's a Pagan festival' is a stupid argument?

Apparently
Quote by FrenchyFungus
1st reply and bang on the nail.

I don't celebrate the Jesusy part of it, but I like having my family around and eating and drinking too much, so ****ed if I'm gonna stop celebrating christmas.

You'll actually find that I posted the first reply
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I think Christmas turned more into a family holiday than a religious holiday. I'm atheist, but my mom is a christian so I grew up with it. Now that I'm older, I think it's a great way to get the family together once a year, including extended family, like the people you don't see alot cause of work schedule or something like that. It gives you a day to be away from school and work, and receive and give gifts that make you happy, and that make other people happy. Christmas to me is more than just religion.

Quote by Lil Macker

its the same arguement the kid who started the thread is asking though, hes saying atheists don't believe in Christ, so they shouldn't celebrate it, when it wasn't even a christian holiday to begin with, so if he's saying why should atheists celebrate it, you have to ask why should christians celebrate it if it's not their holiday?
Last edited by eltyr18 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by GaijinFoot
Apparently

Yeah, but it's like 'Ahh Christians shouldn't believe in it as it's a pagan thing, be ar be while I just open my presents here'. Seems a bit silly. To be honest I don't even care about it too much.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker

You don't complain to your closest friends and family for celebrating your birthday, do you? I mean, it's not their birthday.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
lets be honest, theres no god, it's a ridiculous idea.

HOWEVER, religion has brainwashed billions of people into doing awesome things, like, really awesome selfless acts, why the hell cant ordinary have a nice day once a year and celebrate?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Lil Macker

The whole point is that Christmas is not exclusive to Christianity, and people have held a winter festival around this time of the year for generations.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by Lil Macker
Yeah, but it's like 'Ahh Christians shouldn't believe in it as it's a pagan thing, be ar be while I just open my presents here'. Seems a bit silly. To be honest I don't even care about it too much.

You miss the point, we are not arguing that you shouldn't celebrate it. But if you do argue that Atheists shouldn't then it's quite easy to point out that your technicality can be used against you and that you shouldn't either.
It's the Kettle calling the pot black.

point is, Enjoying a break from work/school. Giving presents and spending time with family are universally good things.
Quote by drugfreeboy

You are an ignorant person then. Christmas was originally a pagan thing and it basically got the word 'CHRIST' gaffa taped onto it and therefore its christian? The question should be 'should christians celebrate christmas?'
Quote by ScottB.
You'll actually find that I posted the first reply

Oops. Quoted the wrong post. Shoot me.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I don't see why not.... Christmas isn't really a religious to holiday to everyone anymore.... It's more of just a "holiday" a celebration....just a time to give...
Quote by Lil Macker

True, people seem to be forgetting that the nativity story and all the christian aspects of christmas are just as (or probably more) ingrained in what christmas is and means today as the pagan traditions behind it, no matter how it started.
Quote by Le_Bunny
I'm what you would call a Christian, and don't celebrate Christmas because of that amongst other reasons. It has surprised me how people completely uninterested in religion are taking so full a part in such a festival, purported to be Christian when really all I see is a big facade. It's hard not to be sucked into it all though, as it absolutely saturates our culture at this time of year, so I can see why people participate despite lacking belief.

I hope you don't think that I think that christians shouldn't celebrate christmas, I was just being philosophical

You do have a point, and good for you for not allowing yourself to be controlled by it.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Oops. Quoted the wrong post. Shoot me.

I don't think I could kill someone on christmas day.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Last edited by ScottB. at Dec 24, 2009,
Page 1 of 2