35 28%
Rosewood
43 35%
Other (say in comments)
2 2%
Voters: 123.
Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

I am curious what fretboard material people prefer in general and why. My preferred two are ebony and maple. Out of these what would be your prefrence and why? I am also curious to find out about other less conventional materials for the fretboard. Also, what material do you think has the best feel?

Thanks all and I look forward to your responses,

-IamSatai
Quote by Vlasco
I like the sound and look of ebony the most.

Ye I sort of sway that way too, I do really like the maple on my tele though. I have never really been a big fan of rosewood, sort of just seemed to be the cheaper ebony.
Thanks
I love the ebony on my esp
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
I like rosewood and maple.

Also on my vintage Yamaha, the whole neck is rosewood. The neck is glossed and the fret board isn't. But it feels great.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Dec 24, 2009,
I don't think I ever played an Ebony fretboard but it doesn't make much of a difference to me, Not since I started playing on heavier strings and started playing a Global guitar that has a painted/stained fretboard.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
My vote goes out to Ebony (Only ebony fretboard i got is on a fretless bass my dad gave me but it feels so damn smooth...) and Rosewood
Ebony and Maple for me. Really starting to get tired of crappy quality rosewood boards (not to say all RW is crap, just the stuff on my guitars).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I prefer ebony fretboards. I've got guitars and basses with all three, and I prefer the ebony fretboards by far.
I like rosewood, never tried ebony. Maple is ok but i dont like the look of it tinted like it is alot of times
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
I've got two guitars, both are Mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard. Not too familiar with maple, played on ebony before and it felt great, but don't currently have one. Debating trying something new on the next guitar.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
I like them all. Though I do find that I'll take longer deciding on a guitar with a rosewood fretboard as I always want the darkest cut I can find.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I like rosewood best. It sounds much warmer than the other two. Maple is too bright for most of the stuff I play.
There's my way and the wrong way.
it would better if you would let us choose more than one option.

I love rosewood fretboard feel. Ebony and maple for looks.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Only got guitars with rosewood, which is pretty nice. Played a few with maple and they're ok too. Never with one with ebony.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
i voted for rosewood, but I enjoy maple just as much as rosewood.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I don't think I ever played an Ebony board. However, It doesn't really matter to me now. Rosewood is nice but since I started playing a guitar with a stained fretboard (And I have no idea what the neck is made out of, It's a soft wood though - Yeah, it's cheap) It doesn't matter to me much now.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
It really depends on the guitar.

For example, If I want to get a Fender strat or Telecaster/Esquire, then maple looks best on those (In my opinion, some rosewood models look nice too).

If it's a super strat, like ibanez or something, rosewood and ebony seem to fit on those in terms of looks better than maple.

I'd still choose maple though. Feels smoother, looks nicer. Especially on sunburst strats .
I like rosewood. I've never played on an ebony fretboard.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Ebony is very hard and dense, allowing for more sustain and better tone. Because the wood is so hard, it also helps keep the neck straight, cutting down on the need for frequent truss rod adjustments. Not to mention the fact that ebony is smooth and looks cool.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
Quote by brleealbright
Ebony is very hard and dense, allowing for more sustain and better tone. Because the wood is so hard, it also helps keep the neck straight, cutting down on the need for frequent truss rod adjustments. Not to mention the fact that ebony is smooth and looks cool.

Better tone is subjective, and Ebony more affected by weather changes than the other two. It requires other maintenance to keep it from cracking.
I can play find on any wood, so I'll play any.

But, maple just looks and feels [satin smooth or a little bit 'sticky', doesn't matter] wonderful.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I have one of each. Depends on the guitar and the music which I prefer.
We use 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 2 to pull a trigger. I'm lazy and I'm tired of smiling.

Current Gear:
Schecter Black Jack V1
Schecter Hollywood Classic (New)
Fender Telecaster
Amps:
1970's Randall Commander II
Bugera V22
Rosewood,

all three of my guitars all have rosewood,

i like the grainy, natural feel ( probably imagined though )

though i have always loved the way ebony boards look.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Since each is treated with a lacquer, I find it a little hard to believe that there would be any real sound differences. I have a lot of friends who play, most own Strats and between those whom have Rosewood and those who have Maple, the same player on different boards sounds pretty similar.
My guitar teacher says ebony is best for basses because it's a really hard wood that brings out the best sound in a bass.

He likes rosewood and maple on guitars, though. I don't know the difference except appearance. I like rosewood the most.
I could really care less what fret board is made of but I prefer unfinished necks.
Who the hell would think that Ebony looks good, or even sounds good?

It's BLACK. It might sound good, (i don't know), but it's ugly.

It would only look good on an all black guitar.
Why would anyone buy an all black guitar.

The only 2 good woods are maple, (ok, not maple, it feels weird.)
It's ROSEWOOD ALL THE WAY!
To this day, I still know only Anime Rock songs. シ

Gear:
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender Frontman 15R
ZOOM G2.1u
Page 1 of 2