hey all,

just plugged my new jsx head into my new 2x12 contemp avatar cab. messing around with it at live show volume causes me to need to use my noise gate (rocktron hush IICX).

Heres my problem, if i set my threshold to a point at which it cuts out my feed back while not playing on my ultra channel, my clean channel gets cut out way too fast and sounds terrible.

i cant seem to find a balance, am i over looking something or is my noise gate just not a good one?(it is atleast 7 years old).

thanks for the help in advance
Last edited by xkmattx at Dec 24, 2009,
Why are you using the noise gate when your on the clean channel, just turnit off when you switch to the clean channel.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
seems like a lot to switch on multiple pedals, change amp channels, and use my finger to switch off the noise gate all in 1 transition : /
Get used to it or buy some loops to turn on/off pedals.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
sorry i guess im a bit ignorant to this, i didnt know that was the norm. if thats the case then i wonder how bands that use high gain amps get away with not using one and still not having feed back. its probably my lame emgs causing more of the problem.
This is one of the reasons I went with the ISP decimator pro rack G. It bases the gate on the guitar, NOT the amp...you can crank the gain up or down, switch from clean to distortion, turn overdrive/distortion pedals on and off all day long, and it works the same.
It uses 2 channels. 1 for the guitar going into the front of the amp, the second for the effects loop. no matter how much gain you add, or pedals you engage, it still reads the signal from the guitar before gating the effects loop. Expensive, but 100% worth it.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
They typically have techs that help them eliminate noise at the source. I know several guitarists who have electrical experts to come help them eliminate noise and prevent electrical damage.

What's your noise gate.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx

What's your noise gate.

Quote by xkmattx
...my noise gate (rocktron hush IICX)...
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Didn't notice his edit. I don't have any experience with the Hush so I can't help you anymore than I have.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

well thanks for the info anyway, im hoping that when my band practices on monday the feedback will be less since ill be further from my rig.

Merry Christmas

thanks
kyle
Just gotta find the right balance man. I know how you feel, I gotta hit like 3-4 pedals just to change channels. I usually just slowly turn off/on the pedals in the few bars before I have to change.
But you can have some comfort in knowing that live there should be less feedback than you're getting now in your room/practice space because you'll be in a much bigger room.
Just get used to it in the practice space with the knowledge that you should be fine live.

That is, unless you want to upgrade your noise suppressor.
I'd go with something 2-channeled like the iSP Decimator G-String or the iSP Pro Rack G
You COULD just get the regular 1 channel Decimator pedal, but even I find that in the practice space there is no perfect balance, I do get sustain cut off on the clean channel (although even this would be a good upgrade from your Rocktron I'll bet.)

Oh, and you can also try buying a isolated power supply like a Voodoo labs, Dunlop Power Brick, or a T-Rex [junior] Fuel Tank. Shielding your guitar, making sure all your cables are decent quality/shielded, and checking out a Furman power conditioner could also help you. (Although these are also fairly expensive ways to get rid of the noise at the source.)

EDIT: This post is under the assumption that you have the 1 channel pedal version of the Hush.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
thanks, i am using the rack mount hush IICX. its the older model. i also have an ns2 on my pedal board in my effects loop. i run all my effects in the loop since i use my amps distortion/crunch and not pedals. i do have a furman rp8d power conditioner and mogami cables.

is it worth getting emg's waxed? or no need? i have the 81 85 set up in both my guitars. (thinking of going to passives)
It aint the pick ups...passives will have more noise, and you'll need to set your first gate higher